Regular saving v fixed rate accounts

I currently have £6k in an account that is paying 4.9%. I want to move it to an account paying a higher rate, and am torn between a regular account paying 6.75% [monthly payments of £500] and a fixed rate account paying 5.31%. If I go for the RS, then a lot of the money will remain in the 4.9% account until 'required', and not earning the 6.75% [or even the 5.31% if I put it into a FRA].

Is there a method of working out the best return. Ideally I would like to develop an excel file to work this out where the variables are the interest rates.

Big thanks

Comments

• muddyfox470
    muddyfox470 Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok best thing to do, is put the money into a good pauing fixed rate savings account, i.e. all of it, and then open up a regular savings account, i.e. the halifax.

Now make sure the make payments are made to the halifax, i.e. £250, and you can save up to £300 max. Then make the standing order go from the fixed rate high savings account, to go directly into the rugular savings account. Now that way you will have the best of both worlds, it is basically a win win situation.

This has been discussed by martin quite a bit, and is the best way to get the highest interest rate back!

Ian

In your situation, put it into the 5.31% account, and then set up the regular saving standing orders into that £500 a month account you state! :P
    Student Moneysaving Expert :beer:
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Redress wrote:
    Is there a method of working out the best return. Ideally I would like to develop an excel file to work this out where the variables are the interest rates.
    Regular saving account:
    y - AER (for example, AER=7% y=0.07)
    s - monthly amount

m - monthly interest: m=(1+y)^(1/12)-1
    k=1+m

Resulting amount after 'n' months: Sn=s*k*(k^n-1)/(k-1)
    Resulting amount after 12 months: S12=s*k*(k^12-1)/(k-1)=s*k*y/m
    I - total interest earned after 12 months: I=S12-s*12=s*[k*(k^12-1)/(k-1)-12];

Approximately 'I' can be estimated as Ia=6.5*s*y. The error when using this formula is less than 1.5% for y<10%.

‘Drip-feed’:
    If you have lump sum s*12 and use some instant access saving account to ‘drip-feed’ regular saving account you put ‘s’ into regular saver and 11*s into saving account at start. For 12 months saving account will earn (hereafter ‘y’ and ‘k’ are for saving account):
    I=s*12*(1+y)-S12=s*12*y- s*k*(k^12-1)/(k-1)=s*(12*(1+y)- k*(k^12-1)/(k-1))
    Ia=s*12*y-6.5*s*y=5.5*s*y

Good luck :wave:
  • bernardh_2
    bernardh_2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    What a saddo. Probably reads the `Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers` for fun.
    Just like me.
    The kids think I should get out more.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bernardh wrote:
    What a saddo. Probably reads the `Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers` for fun.
    Just like me.
    The kids think I should get out more.

I referred to my copy earlier today - to try and answer Martin's Money Poser!
  • bernardh_2
    bernardh_2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Paul/Grumbler. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh there.I just thought I recognised another person who loves equations like those and is puzzled to discover that others don`t.
    Keep up the good points - I find your posts very helpful.
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Well I appreciated the joke!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills