Private sellers slow to send items AND leave feedback

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why should a buyer leave feedback first? The buyer completed their side of the deal first. Purchased and paid.

Pro's and Con's for both.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The buyer completed their side of the deal first. Purchased and paid.
    The buyer has completed their side of the deal the moment he has got what he wanted in his possession.
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 April 2019 at 9:58AM
    Why should a buyer leave feedback first? The buyer completed their side of the deal first. Purchased and paid.

No, for PayPal payments, you're still incorrect.

The buyer has not completed their side of the deal after they have "Purchased and paid", because they still have the option to initiate an unreasonable chargeback or fraudulent return.

The buyer has paid money to PayPal, not to the seller.

The Seller can withdraw these "funds" from PayPal but PayPal can recover this back from the seller at any point in the following 6 months. So the buyer hasn't really "paid" the seller until 6 months have elapsed.

So why should the seller leave feedback first? The buyer hasn't truly paid the seller unless they paid using a non-reversible payment method, or after 6 months have elapsed for PayPal.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    charlie12 wrote: »

The buyer has not completed their side of the deal after they have "Purchased and paid", because they still have the option to initiate an unreasonable chargeback or fraudulent return.

The Seller can withdraw these "funds" from PayPal but PayPal can recover this back from the seller at any point in the following 6 months. So the buyer hasn't really "paid" the seller until 6 months have elapsed.

So why should the seller leave feedback first? The buyer hasn't truly paid the seller unless they paid using a non-reversible payment method, or after 6 months have elapsed for PayPal.

That's interesting, I always wondered why I as the buyer always seem to leave the feedback first - now I know:)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I tend not to get involved in the 'who leaves feedback first' debate as it is tin hat territory and never ends well. However, since feedback can only be left for 60 days you appear to be suggesting that a seller never leaves feedback at all if they need to wait 180 days to make sure they don't have a scammer? Also since sellers can only leave positives it seems a bit of a moot point whether witholding it protects future sellers or themselves at all.

Remember that scammers are rare, we tend to think that virtually everyone is a scammer just because of sites like these, yes I do get the very occasional 'fraudulent use of a card claim' which of course is easy to defend, and feedback makes no difference to that at all, whether left or not, received or not.

It's completely up to users whether they leave feedback or not, there is no 'right' answer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 April 2019 at 11:30PM
    I am both a buyer and a seller. As a seller I always leave feedback to confirm I have sent the item + tracking details. Wherever possible I try to do free P & P to avoid buyers marking me down when I charge the exact price of the courier:(

As a buyer I try to acknowledge where items nicely packed, sent quickly etc.

I`ve noticed people tend to often not give feedback which doesn`t bother me now. I`ve usually found the best customers are those who collect. ( yes I adjust my listing to accommodate this)

I`ve had a few bad item like a minging mattress protector sent with different controls. I only leave poor FB if the buyer doesnt try to sort out the problem or is intrinsically dishonest.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Kered wrote: »
    but they must have known this when they set the auction, also I had mail delivered on Friday and Saturday and went to the PO on Saturday as well as the bank.

which is because you are in Scotland.
    England has no deliveries/collections on the Friday or Mnoday
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

Why should the buyer? Doesnt matter one way or t'other.
    Its sellers who sweat feedback.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I rarely sell on ebay these days, but when I do I find ebay's delivery estimates a bit fanciful, as I can generally only post on the weekend (ie. Saturday morning).
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Wrong...

Yes a buyer has the option to do a chargeback, but they can do that after its no longer possible to leave feedback.

The average buyer wont be doing that though. So they bought and paid. Nothing else for a buyer to do.

A buyer pays paypal. Yes But a seller can claim that money before they actually send the goods.. Thats how some of the scammers get away with ripping paypal off.. Open a new account list some expensive items and then take the money and run. Thats why Paypal started making some people wait 30 days to collect their funds.

Losing too much from scammers.

All irrelevant though. The average buyer has completed their deal buy buying and paying. The seller still has their side to complete after that point..

What if the buyer leaves feedback but the seller doesnt send the item? Or sends a different item?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure