Cat with allergies

Hi all,

So my 2 and a half year old cat has allergies to Birch, Fleas & House Dustmites, diagnosed by a blood test

I've started to use the Indorex household flea spray, as it does Mites too, so that was done in October and is, I think, yearly

Have no carpet, all vinyl flooring, bed is metal frame & no sofa or armchairs, so there isn't much they'd be in, but I did change the bedding to anti dustmite bedding

I took her back to the Vet today, who said she feels I should start her on Atopica. Has anyone experience of this, and where is cheaper to buy it? She said she didn't want her on steriod injections due to weight gain, diabetes etc as she had been having injections once itchy and the last was meant to last two months but she's itchy again

She had a Staph infection recently from this, which is now cleared up with Antibiotics, but i'm wondering how good Atopica is and how cheap it can be obtained for.

Anything else I could do? I flea treat her monthly with Advocate & have never seen any fleas on her or in the home, and she's now on a new wormer I can't think of the name of, but a spot on (Profender maybe?)

Her old Vet suggested desensitisation at £300 - £400 a month, and a special vaccine for her, but insurance doesn't cover this (pre existing) and I can't afford that, so hoping the Atopica is ok (plus the new Vet hasn't felt the need for desensitisation as yet)

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,591 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Skin allergies can sometimes be helped by a hydrolysed diet. Mention it to your Vet for their opinion.

They aren't cheap though nor are they always eaten!

Prescription diets are sometimes covered by insurance, although I know PetPlan don't for my Cat, who needs one for tummy issues.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    KxMx wrote: »
    Skin allergies can sometimes be helped by a hydrolysed diet. Mention it to your Vet for their opinion.

They aren't cheap though nor are they always eaten!

Prescription diets are sometimes covered by insurance, although I know PetPlan don't for my Cat, who needs one for tummy issues.

Thanks, I will mention this Monday when I go to collect the Atopica! Luckily, so far she will eat anything & everything (famous last words), so hopefully she would eat it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure