The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 February 2019 at 7:01PM
    sevenonine wrote: »
    . . . I've spoken to So Energy, my new provider, because my reading of 10 January 2019 (6953) was referred to the Central Gas Industry for validation and the opening reading was revised to 6989 (36 extra units). I had thought it was Avro who had referred it for validation! In fact it was SOE who did so and now I am embroiled with SOE who tell me all opening readings are validated - if so why are these not subject to change? I have told SOE that I am a single user/owner/resident and have never had my readings disputed.
    I want to know the website for the Central Gas Industry - I haven't been able to find it - does anyone know? I shall want to ask whether it is in their gift to spend time working out the validity of readings!!
    Regarding the opening/closing readings when you switch, you might find an article from <Octopus Energy> enlightening.

I wouldn't worry too much about the increased hand-over gas readings because, at the moment, it's a fair bet that your new supplier's prices are more expensive than the old tariff you were on - so the more energy charged to the old supplier the cheaper it will be for you in the long run. But you won't get as much of a refund as you may have expected.

The main energy-industry companies are Elexon for electricity and Xoserve for gas but, as far as I know, the validation service is not open to access by energy customers. It is, anyway, an automated process so the best anyone would be able tell you is what the "computer" says. It is a long process to challenge and there needs to be a sufficient discrepancy for a challenge to be accepted.

Sorry this isn't much help but there is not much anyone can do.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • philng
    philng Posts: 801
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just renewed with AVRO on new Fixed Rate only launched this week Simple & Prime which is £25 less than their last Fixed Rate.

Personally had no issues with AVRO but then again never had to contact them & still offer the most competitive FIXED rate with NO exit fees.
  • wrongplanet
    wrongplanet Posts: 166
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 9 March 2019 at 1:50PM
    philng wrote: »
    Personally had no issues with AVRO but then again never had to contact them...
    The pattern seems to be they're fine until you either leave or, as in my case, make the mistake of changing tariff - in my case to the MSE/CEC one.

In precis they didn't confirm the switch, when challenged said it was up to MSE/CEC to do this, told MSE/CEC that the switch had failed and as of my last contact with MSE/CEC haven't paid their intro fee or even responded to them so I'm still waiting for my cashback.

As they never confirmed the switch they didn't notify me of the increased DD, then claimed they must have and when asked to provide proof responded with "I will not be discussing this matter with you any further".

Good luck.
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,210
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    philng wrote: »
    Just renewed with AVRO on new Fixed Rate only launched this week Simple & Prime which is £25 less than their last Fixed Rate.

Personally had no issues with AVRO but then again never had to contact them & still offer the most competitive FIXED rate with NO exit fees.

Just noticed that today but I only renewed 2 weeks ago.

It won't let you change again like EON used to.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 February 2019 at 5:20PM
    Gambler wrote: »
    Most Avro tariffs have no exit fee, so what's to stop you ?

After a mild winter and low demand for the time of year, I wonder if is this an indication that energy prices have peaked for the time being. :j
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,558
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Gambler wrote: »

I changed to a new cheaper fixed tariff part way through an existing one. Did it over the phone, although getting a human to answer can be a bit of a challenge these days.
    However, it looks like you can also change online, although maybe not if you've already got a change pending.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Switched from one of the Cheap Energy Club’s mass switch deals with British Gas 2 years ago to Avro. The switch was very smooth with no issues whatsoever. We switched again once that deal came an end to another Avro fixed price deal on their website. Very easy to do. Only had cause to contact them once (a simple query about Smart Meters) and had a very quick response. They allow you to switch at any time without early exit fees so there’s nothing to lose from giving them a try. Although they are a small energy supplier don’t let it put you off. Over two years with them and nothing but positives so far!
  • victor2
    Ambassador
    Switched from one of the Cheap Energy Club’s mass switch deals with British Gas 2 years ago to Avro....

mmmm, signed up specially to post this.
    if it looks like canned pork, smells like canned pork, it probably is :spam:

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

• Catriona_P
    Catriona_P Posts: 843
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My bills havn't been updated since November. I submitted meter readings in December and February which are registered on their system but no updated bills. My account is still saying it is £421 in credit (from November), my usage is far less than any of their estimates so I assume will be even higher by now and despite asking for a refund in December I havn't had it.

Reading other posts here I'm really concerned and considering switching supplier as a way to get my money back - is this what I should be doing?
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
  • victor2
    Ambassador
    Catriona_P wrote: »
    My bills havn't been updated since November. I submitted meter readings in December and February which are registered on their system but no updated bills. My account is still saying it is £421 in credit (from November), my usage is far less than any of their estimates so I assume will be even higher by now and despite asking for a refund in December I havn't had it.

Reading other posts here I'm really concerned and considering switching supplier as a way to get my money back - is this what I should be doing?
    Work out what you owe them for your actual usage according to the readings you have given them. If that is close to what you have paid, so you would not owe them much and they wouldn't owe you too much, then you've got little to lose by switching.

If you haven't already, email them a message titled COMPLAINT and ask why you haven't had an statements. IME they say they will respond to emails within 5 working days, and that is exactly how long they take.
    You can then follow their official complaints procedure if you don't get a resolution.
    It took me a month to get the DD reduced to a more realistic level, by which time they had taken another payment at the higher amount.That was all done by email because it was impossible to get through by phone. Also meant there was a documented history of the discussion. :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback