The "Save 12k in 2019" Thread

Comments

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Spreadsheet updated :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • clarissa62 wrote: »
    Chuffed to report #39 savings of £243.48 made up from various small wins & my stocks and shares ISA improving performance. Same as many it's been slaughtered last quarter of 2018!

Hi SF - sorry but this update for Feb was missed. Are you ok to add to the spreadsheet. Small gain but chuffed as I'd predicted a very small savings gain this month.😀
    2024 financial goals & challenges

1). Mortgage (started Jan 2024) £120,692.14 / £122400. Overpayment total: £110.68. 89% remaining.

2). #7 Save 1p a day challenge 2024 £60/£780

3). £1610/£3000 in Investment ISA (21/50 investments)

4). Increase cash savings & saving pots

5). Keep debt to a minimum.

Favourite quote: 'Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gunna get!' Forrest Gump
  • A few frugal fails this month!

I bought a bunch of flights to go home (and normally they are in the £100 area - but were around £300 each). Expensive, but it will be worth it to see my parents.

Also, got myself a Nintendo Switch! I've been wanting one for about 6m, and kept going back to adding it to my basket & then letting it sit for a week or two...to see if I wanted it really. I figure doing that for 6m constantly...I needed to take the plunge. My Feb numbers will probably be down (need new glasses too!). But hey, that's life!
    #115 - Save £12k in 2019 challenge: £13152.85/29419.55 - 44%:beer:
    Save 100k by March 31st 2021: £38890.27/100k - 38% :j
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sometimes life gets in the way and things happen! You can get it back, it's only month one :)

Aw thanks slowlyfading - think that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me for ages! :rotfl:That's really kind and I hope so. I will certainly do my best. I think because the challenge has been running for so many years it would be odd if the people who take part year in year out didn't experience any blips. In fact I seem to remember the first year I saved a proper amount I partly did it by false economies, ie putting off servicing my car, which in retrospect was a bit daft, and not sustainable. Sometimes you just have to fork out a bit of money to fix things and then you go on from there. The main thing I'm sure is to keep trying :A:)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird wrote: »
    Sometimes you just have to fork out a bit of money to fix things and then you go on from there. The main thing I'm sure is to keep trying :A:)

And that's why it's so good we're all saving and have a buffer for when things do go belly-up and we have to spend money to fix them. All your previous hard work/saving, Cathybird was not it vain, it's put you in a great position for sorting out current financial demands. And it's still only February, loads of time yet :)
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • Will report my total at the end of the month but I fear it's only going to be around £500 :( Up on last month but I do need to step up my game!
    Save £12K in 2020 #58 - £454.58/£5,000
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    And that's why it's so good we're all saving and have a buffer for when things do go belly-up and we have to spend money to fix them. All your previous hard work/saving, Cathybird was not it vain, it's put you in a great position for sorting out current financial demands. And it's still only February, loads of time yet :)

Wentthedaywell, too true, and you have cheered me up, thank you!! :beer:
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird wrote: »
    Aw thanks slowlyfading - think that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me for ages! :rotfl:That's really kind and I hope so. I will certainly do my best. I think because the challenge has been running for so many years it would be odd if the people who take part year in year out didn't experience any blips. In fact I seem to remember the first year I saved a proper amount I partly did it by false economies, ie putting off servicing my car, which in retrospect was a bit daft, and not sustainable. Sometimes you just have to fork out a bit of money to fix things and then you go on from there. The main thing I'm sure is to keep trying :A:)

We don't save money to look at money (although a healthy bank balance is nicely reassuring!) - we save money so that when we need (or want) to spend money, we can improve our lives (and our houses and our families!) and our ongoing quality of life doesn't suffer for it.

And this is what I will be saying when I report a negative balance for February because I part paid for my frivolous holiday :p:rotfl:
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Add another 2k to the savings so far. This savings mindset is growing on a daily basis. This is fun! Let the savings continue for us all. Keep up the good work my fellow saving MSE members.
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We don't save money to look at money (although a healthy bank balance is nicely reassuring!) - we save money so that when we need (or want) to spend money, we can improve our lives (and our houses and our families!) and our ongoing quality of life doesn't suffer for it.

And this is what I will be saying when I report a negative balance for February because I part paid for my frivolous holiday :p:rotfl:

Possibly I'll be saying this too!
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family