PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• vintagegal
    Options
    I am always interested in a good book!
    I forgot to mention earlier that I KNITTED A HAT!!!

It is massive

But I did decreasing and sewing up so that's an achievement I think :rotfl:
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • vintagegal
    Options
    I'm wearing my coupon free Grensons today, still loving them.

They've garnered some snarky comments - they are a black and white brogue - all from men who think they look like 'golf' shoes or 'gangster' shoes.

I am a bit miffed that people think they can say things like this to your face. Usually I can rise above these remarks but today I feel irritated.

Clothes are our form of self expression and no one has a right to belittle our choices.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Absolutely right, and you're right to be irritated. Nobody else's business.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • This isn't so much an update on me but I thought I would share this with you guys. I met up with a friend on Sunday for a cuppa in town and was talking to her about the virtue of charity shops and the successes I have had in them recently (I have only recently been converted). She said that when she used to trawl through the shops with her son for his vinyl records she was never very successful. When we went our separate ways she passed a charity shop on the way to the bus stop and popped in to see. She texted me later to say she had purchased two lovely jumpers and two lovely scarves. We have agreed that we should spend one day on a "shopping" spree but just go to charity shops. I think I have converted her.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • vintagegal
    Options
    How lovely crafty_lisa_hampshire, I need a charity shop friend too!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 February 2019 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Perfect fit. Just the right length and with decent front pockets. I am tempted to buy another two pairs for posterity before they go out of stock: one in black and another in the denim blue. I have the money - at £15/pair they’re very affordable plus there’s more than £30 in my clothing account and I even have another money-off voucher.... It’s just the coupon cost that’s holding me back! 12 more coupons spent would leave me with 24 for the rest of the year....

Can I break my self-imposed constraint? The one where I took the suit that I bought in December and included it in 2019’s coupon spend? Can I put that suit back into last year? That would give me an extra 25 coupons with which to get through 2019.

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

- Pip

PS: these are the ones I bought: https://www.marksandspencer.com/mid-rise-skinny-leg-jeans/p/p22469385?prevPage=plp

PPS: Sod it. I’ve bought the extra 2 pairs.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    vintagegal wrote: »
    I'm wearing my coupon free Grensons today, still loving them.

They've garnered some snarky comments - they are a black and white brogue - all from men who think they look like 'golf' shoes or 'gangster' shoes.

I am a bit miffed that people think they can say things like this to your face. Usually I can rise above these remarks but today I feel irritated.

Clothes are our form of self expression and no one has a right to belittle our choices.

How annoying! I bet they’d look lovely with tweed, Prince Of Wales check trousers; very smart, very 1930’s and not gangster-ish at all.

Congratulations on the hat! Wear it with pride.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • diminua
    diminua Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 February 2019 at 9:50PM
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome PipneyJane. I do have 2 more coupons to declare - on gloves. They were the right size (I take a 3, so large children's gloves) and grey and much warmer and more versatile than my old pink ones, and half price at £6. So I had to, really.

Reading the Julie Summers Fashion on the Ration book (thanks are due to vintagegal, who recommended it a few pages back I think) - it seems women were wearing boys shoes to use fewer coupons/because they were practical. I wonder if someone my size (well, my height but slimmer) could have got away with wearing a child's mac or jacket, with a whole 3 coupons saved. Or would the shopkeeper have to say 'If it's for you madam, then I'm afraid...'

59 coupons left
    Fashion on the Ration 2024 - 49 coupons left
    April Grocery Challenge £14.65/£200 spent
    Declutter 52 things (net) in 2023 -41 in 78 out (15 left)
  • vintagegal
    Options
    Pipneyjane, the jeans sound like a good buy as you will wear them a lot, and that’s the basis for this challenge. I’d say you could have the suit coupons back too!
    Glad you’re enjoying the book Diminua, I bet people did find ways to stretch the coupons. I have small feet so would definitely have tried to get kids shoes!
    Time for the sewing bee!!
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    P

Can I break my self-imposed constraint? The one where I took the suit that I bought in December and included it in 2019’s coupon spend? Can I put that suit back into last year? That would give me an extra 25 coupons with which to get through 2019.

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

Well, I think you miscalculated anyway - you included all the yarn you bought in NZ didn't you? But surely bringing things in from overseas might incur purchase-taxes or import-duty you had to pay at the port, but you wouldn't have needed coupons for them. So you should knock all those bits off.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure