Martin Lewis to sue Facebook for defamation in groundbreaking campaigning lawsuit

Comments

• fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Thanks for all the notes above. The bizarre thing is programmatica ads means as the story of me suing facebook got bigger, more of these ads came out of the woodwork. I'm talkign with my legal team about how to approach them.

Facebook though has been doign it more and logner and on notice far more than the rest.

What you are trying to acheive is just and a good thing for everyone Martin best of luck.
  • StuMac01
    StuMac01 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 25 April 2018 at 6:53AM
    Facebook’s arrogance is astounding - I wish you luck Martin with your action and hope it will go some way towards making them re-think about their attitude. The way they allow personal data to be used in such manipulative ways by companies such as Cambridge Analytica is actually quite shocking.
  • Diana2014
    Diana2014 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Delighted to see that Martin and his solicitors have put together such a strong case for making Facebook answerable to the English High Court for its misbehaviour. It's long overdue but it takes someone with a great deal of resources, moral courage and determination to launch such a challenge.

Please don't give up this lawsuit unless you get absolutely watertight, properly-secured guarantees which actually prevent such abuses in future. In any settlement agreement, only have the case stayed - NOT dismissed - while putting any promises from Facebook to the test.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    . . . Facebook though has been doign it more and logner and on notice far more than the rest.
    Hi Martin, are you applying for a job with the Guardian ?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Most of the comments have been in the open discussion where you have to log-in using Facebook.
  • Good luck Martin. These scam ads have cropped on my Facebook several times over the months. I have reported them as a scam to FB but they still appear.
  • Good for you Martin!!! I hope you give them hell!!!
    They have REFUSED to investigate & pull down over 100 FAKE PROFILES that is being made of my daughter - to her detriment- by a "known" male! Yet even the Cyber Action Group & police even refuse to do anything about! This has been going on for over 8 years now! Not to mention the other 6 or so other girls (that we know of) that this same person is doing fake profiles of too! Yet Facebook still refuse to ban him - even though he has been named!
    So you damn well go for it and beat Facebook - it will be a victory for ALL of us that Facebook ignore!!!!
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Oasis111 wrote: »
    They have REFUSED to investigate & pull down over 100 FAKE PROFILES that is being made of my daughter - to her detriment- by a "known" male! Yet even the Cyber Action Group & police even refuse to do anything about!

Yes this is a major problem with facebook. They require no proof of ID to sign up so trouble makers, stalkers, scammers, whoever can make fake profiles of people and abuse their identity in however way they see fit - or just bully them. It doesn't just happen to famous people who can have their reputation abused in a scam.

If Martin wins this case I do hope it has carry over effects to this sort of thing where facebook will be held responsible for allowing this on their platform as well as paid for ads. Reporting said fake profiles frequently does not result in anything happening at all.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Leon_W wrote: »
    It's all well and good Facebook saying that if you see an advert then let us know and we'll remove it, but who realistically has the resources to scour Facebook continually looking for fake adds ?? That's a full time job for a team of people. And even then, they'll just pop up again somewhere else.

Surely the onus should be on Facebook to screen the adds before publishing them (for that is what they are doing) and not put the onus on the injured party to report.

This site is infested with spammers and we are expected to report them - they are not screened out pro-activly by MSE.

So it seems a bit rich on the one hand to demand other sites screen posts, when it's not done here..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure