Let go from job when pregnant- help!

Hi

Just started a new part time job not long ago, as I I am studying and it is related to that. I found out I am pregnant unexpectedly the other day and let them know. Also in my 3 interviews I did let them know I am studying and any training they offer I want to do after i finish in July. I was told to go on some the other day to which I said I want to focus on course but do it after. I also told them I was pregnant. They sent an email after
I finished sacking me effective immediately saying it is because I refused essential training, which I didn't. But I know that isn't the reason.

Do I have any grounds for anything at all or not? I am now stressed and anxious as I cannot afford things I need now and i cannot feel like this
Ta

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    But can you prove it's not the reason? Your studying shoud be a secondary consideration to essential training, so if you've priorities them the other way round they may well be able to verify their case. You may well be right on the actual reason but it's not going to be easy to win anything on that basis.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I would go and see an employment lawyer. I suspect you’ll be able to get a financial settlement out of the company as they wouldn’t want something like this to go to tribunal.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi

Just started a new part time job not long ago, as I I am studying and it is related to that. I found out I am pregnant unexpectedly the other day and let them know. Also in my 3 interviews I did let them know I am studying and any training they offer I want to do after i finish in July. I was told to go on some the other day to which I said I want to focus on course but do it after. I also told them I was pregnant. They sent an email after
    I finished sacking me effective immediately saying it is because I refused essential training, which I didn't. But I know that isn't the reason.

Do I have any grounds for anything at all or not? I am now stressed and anxious as I cannot afford things I need now and i cannot feel like this
    Ta

They asked you to do training relevant to your job, you refused, they sacked you.

You need to put your job first, not your course.

Being pregnant is irrelevant. They want someone committed to the job, so if you are not willing to do the training they might as well sack you now and get someone who is willing.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • doubled1989
    doubled1989 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2019 at 9:14AM
    I didn't refuse to do it, I said multiple times after I would which isn't an issue imho and nor was it before I told them either. I am willing
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    You refused to do training at the time required after only being there a short time, so that alone could be enough to make them question your commitment. Discovering that you are pregnant may or may not have affected their decision, but it will be close on impossible to prove.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I didn't refuse to do it, I said multiple times after I would which isn't an issue imho and nor was it before I told them either. I am willing

You are willing NOW, but not at the time they asked.

Your refusal made you appear a difficult employee and not what they wanted, hence dismissal.

Find yourself another job and move on. Learn from your mistake.

In the first two years of employment you need to be keen and a yes person.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • It sounds to me like you failed their attitude test with regards to training, they wanted you to do it at THEIR convenience not YOURS. Lets face it, they pay you to do a job, they arnt going to pay you if you question what jobs/training you do and when, so in affect you shot yourself in the foot and it had nothing to do with your pregnancy, although TBF you handed them a good excuse.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear, food for thought...
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    If it's essential training, presumably it couldn't wait.

It may have been an excuse to sack you (with the pregnancy being the real reason) but you did rather hand it to them on a platter.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I suspect you may have stitched yourself up like a kipper.

What was the training?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Oh well nevermind. Live and learn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills