Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,252Posts
    • 13,336Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    ‘Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling’

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 13-11-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 59
    • murie
    • By murie 19th Nov 18, 12:05 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    murie
    Are you well?
    046.. glad to see you are back and that things are ok xx

Mandco- thats a typical kid thing - you could just scream at times couldn't you ? He will love it either way once he has it in his hands x.

Princesskitty- oh your poor parents x

I tend associate selection boxes ( i think they are a massive rip off though) with Christmas, but if you packaged it up in a non christmassy way then Im sure it would be received well for his birthday if he is a chocoholic like my DH. (tbh he would love it even if it was wrapped in a dustbin bag and given to him at any time of year if it had chocolate in it- and he's a diabetic!).

The weather is definitely cooler today, my ears were frozen when i took The Hound out first thing. DD asked 'Alexa' this morning what the weather is like in Vienna and she said there are snow flurries due!! I don't want heavy snow on the ground when we go (cus knowing me I will fall over and break something!) but I would like it to be lightly snowing and christmassy. Im getting excited now for the Christmas markets. Our large (but expensive) one in Birmingham opened last week and i have resisted the temptation to go because I don't want to spoil the authenticity of the 'real' ones in Vienna.
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 19th Nov 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 16,943 Thanks
    Peppapig
    PRINCESSKITTY I used to work with someone who had one of those daylight lamps in her office, she said it made a big difference. Iím sure DH will love it. Glad your dad isnít badly hurt and good luck to Mum tomorrow, hopefully the results will come through quickly.

MANDCO thatís so annoying, I feel for you.

CHARLOTTE Iím with the others, selection boxes def say Christmas to me although Iím sure heíll be happy whenever itís for.

KERRI hope youíve sorted the trainers. Update on the ones my daughter bought - her OH only went and bought a pair himself! Theyíd been oos everywhere and then one shop had one pair and they were his size. DD was not happy. Luckily she was within the returns period so sent them back and got a refund. Sheís pretty cross with him though, she said what sort of person tells their girlfriend how much they want something in the run up to Christmas and then goes out and buys it.

FREE so glad your tree arrived and even more glad that you love it. Iím really tempted to put ours up this weekend but Iím conditioned to doing it the first weekend in December so just not sure I can lol.

Iím doing quite well collecting pointsettia flowers but very disappointed in the standard of garlands in the shops. Wilks have theirs half price at the mo so £10 instead of £20 but tbh I thought it was still overpriced at £10. I saw a nice one in one of the garden centres for £20 so I think Iíll go back and get that. Off to The Range tomorrow so looking forward to browsing their Christmas aisles.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mandco
    • By mandco 19th Nov 18, 12:32 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    mandco
    forgot to mention the other day but remember the wooden reindeers peppa? made. They are selling the same thing in home bargains for the not so bargain price of £20
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 19th Nov 18, 4:15 PM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 28,159 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    If anyone is on o2 they are doing a free box of xmas cards from WH smith through the priority app. Picked up a box of 25 today (even though I make all mine) - always handy to have in just incase I get some unexpected ones
    • By 04624181 19th Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    Hi all,

mandco-Thank you for the heads up about switch things in Arg*s. Will have a look later. I am still debating where to buy the switch from. £20 for the wooden reindeers...WOW
    Charlotte1994-My husband would love a selection box of chocolates any time of the year lol If he likes chocolate then Im sure he will love it x
    Princesskitty29-So sorry to hear about your mum and dad. I hope they are both doing well now. Will be thinking of you all tomorrow, hope everything goes ok. SAD light sounds like an excellent gift.
    Murie-Thank You xx Glad to be back. When do you go to Vienna? You must be so excited
    Peppa- I have to agree with you on the garlands. I now have a flocked tree so would like a flocked garland and cannot find one I like.
    Stokiebecks-that is a good deal

Hi everyone, ordered a few more Christmas decorations today and I must now stop myself from ordering anything else... ( maybe if I sit on my hands lol) Tree is going up this Saturday and I am beyond excited! It is usually the 1st December but we will be away in Edinburgh visiting the Christmas markets. ( any recommendations anyone?)
    Sat and watched Mrs Miracle today and wrote some Christmas Cards. Felt very festive.
    Ordered my nephews a lego cup each, they arrived today and are amazing! you can actually use your lego on them, ( they come with a small bag of Lego. Great for Lego lovers.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Colors-DIY-Creative-Lego-Puzzle-Brick-Mug-Build-On-Block-Coffee-Tea-Drink-Cup/192700834856?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CA SSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55148%26meid%3Dc45eb2fe31d7 4a7f9a752a6905ffa78c%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt %3D1%26%26itm%3D192700834856&_trksid=p2045573.c100 505.m3226
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 19th Nov 18, 6:20 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 17,621 Thanks
    nic2075
    The thread is moving along nicely now.

I picked up an Echo (Alexa) for my dad in the Black Friday sale. I'm really not sure he will use it. It could end up being a pricey radio. But we enjoy ours for quizzes etc. He likes listening to the football on the radio, so it could also be good for results.

I picked up some Hype trainers from Schuh for dd1. They were £19.99 from £60. I hope she likes them. It's just clothes she asked for, so these will go nice with her usual skinny jeans.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 19th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 17,621 Thanks
    nic2075
    When's everyone putting their tree up? I was planning to put it up on the 1st, seeing as it's a Saturday. But we now have plans for that day. Not sure if next weekend is too early? I don't want to end up fed up with it all.
    We were in TK Maxx looking at decorations. I told DS he could pick a nice one out as the girls usually do it. He ended up picking up the ugliest felted wonky giraffe! There's nothing festive about it! But he said no one else would buy him and he didn't want to leave him behind. I'd add a picture if I knew how. But we were killing ourselves laughing and this sad looking wee thing. It's going to end up right at the front of the tree, I know it
    • mandco
    • By mandco 19th Nov 18, 7:35 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 9,509 Thanks
    mandco
    nic had to at ds and his wonky giraffe but that is such a sweet sentiment behind his reasoning though.
    I'm really tempted to decorate the tree this weekend too its currently sat in the corner as I needed to see how big it is and where it fits- its way bigger than our old one so some rearranging is needed but its going to look lovely once all the branches are opened up. taz keeps asking can we leave it up and when can we put the decs on so I'm at the point where I'm thinking if it makes him happy why not. I think I'll leave the rest of the decs till the 1st though.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 19th Nov 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 16,943 Thanks
    Peppapig
    NIC for DD2ís first Christmas when she left home she bought lots of wonky and broken Christmas ornaments for that very reason, she didnít like the thought of them being left alone in the shop so she gave them all a home.

MANDCO funnily enough Iím just making a couple of reindeer for the front garden. These are a bit more Ďabstractí than the ones we made a few years back but Iíve got high hopes for them. At the moment they look a bit more like cybermen but once theyíre painted and theyíve got antlers and red noses theyíll be fine.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Nov 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7,570 Posts
    • 52,001 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Charlotte I tend to think if selection boxes as Xmas too but only because we used to get them in our stockings.

Princesskitty wow, your poor folks. Glad that they've found the infection in your dads leg as that could've become nasty, one of the few times banging his head was a good thing. Glad your mum is doing ok too.

Peppa that is EXACTLY the kind of thing my OH would do because he has zero patience to wait. Still no joy, torn between hoping somewhere gets them back in stock and just forking out an arm and a leg for the ones on Amaz0n and be done with it.

Picked up a box of O2 cards today in WH Smith, usually I go for the packs with the greatest qty but the ones they have in seem to be regurgitations of ones I already had so I picket up a cute little box of 15 cards with 3 designs where the characters all have buttons for tummies ( checked they still counted as letters and not large letters)

Picked up a box of chocs on sat to finish off DA/DU present. Usually I home bake something but was with my mum (it's her sister Anschluss husband) and said they both like chocs and it wasn't a cop out as I felt it was. So that's a present off the list. Am determined to enjoy the run up this year rather than stressing I have so much to do and ending up ill instead.

In other news, we bought a decent size twig tree a couple of years ago after finally having a living room that was suitable for a bigger tree (prev we'd used a 3ft one OH had bought back one Xmas eve when we were facing a rather grim xmas in a shared house and we'd used it for about 15yrs.)
    Now we have a lamp in the space the tree was and no where really suitable to move it to, so OH is now suggesting he might like a small tree, or no tree at all although I'm also half thinking it's one less thing to get out/pack away. Does that make me bah humbug?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 20th Nov 18, 11:13 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 12,329 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    mandco yes I can imagine you can feel a bit silly, but as you say it was good as they picked up the infection before it got worse.

murie I went to Vienna a few years ago and it was freezing!! Make sure you wrap up really warm. Yes Iíve really noticed a difference in the weather yesterday and today, thereís been a biting wind.

Peppa thank you. Yes Iíve heard really good things about these lamps, I might have to sneak a go myself! Your DDís husband has clearly never heard the rule that you donít buy yourself anything in the run up to Christmas!!

04624181 thank you. Sounds like you are getting ahead, Iím itching to write some cards but I ordered a load of Wiggleís school ones and I donít know when Iíll get them.

nic ah poor giraffe, a lovely idea from your son!

kerri thank you, perhaps everything does happen for a reason! If youíre happy to have a small tree or no tree then itís fine, there are no rules to say everyone has to have a tree Ė itís your home and you can have it how you like.
    • By 04624181 20th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    Nic2075- That is a good deal on the trainers. We love our Echo, we play quizzes and the kids love asking it to tell them jokes. The wonky giraffe statement melted my heart. We too usually put our tree up on the 1st put we are away so its going up this Saturday.

mandco- Yes go for it with the tree. We are doing ours and I cannot wait!

Peppa- aw it would be lovely to see a picture of your new handmade reindeer if you get chance.

kerrigt- You do Christmas that suits you and dont feel guilty about it. There is no one size fits all. If you dont want a tree or want a smaller tree then you decide.

Princesskitty29- I hope your mums CT scan went ok. I bet your Christmas cards will be lovely from wiggle school.

Its been one of those weeks so I cannot wait to put the tree up on Saturday. DD clothes order arrived from SportsDire*t and everything is lovely so everything outstanding for her is done. Counting down to Black Friday but cant remember getting any good deals last year. Did anybody get a good deal last year? Got a list of things to look for. When the Christmas decs come down from the loft this week I can get the wrapping paper out and start wrapping gifts. Still off work due to foot! Going back to hospital tomorrow, hoping for some answers
    Until then I am shopping online lol. Ordered a jigsaw roll today, I have got us a family Christmas jigsaw to complete. I am hoping it will give us a fun activity to do together. Will put the jigsaw on the jigsaw roll on dining table and then I can move it when we are eating.
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 21st Nov 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 28,159 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    I am having a right nightmare with online purchases this last month or so. They say it happens in threes so hopefully todays will be the last. Ordered a wooden engraved watched for other half's birthday. Taken a month to get here and when it arrived this morning, I opened it and the engraving is wrong! Argggghhhhhhh! ;

Now need to find a nicer replacement watch before his birthday next week.looks like i will be forgoing the engraving for now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,773Posts Today

8,243Users online

Martin's Twitter