Cyprus ...

Hi all, am thinking of a cheeky little break to Paphos to escape the madness of Crimbo, all tips on anything to do, eat, or drink …. will be gratefully received :D

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Duke

Go prepared for wind and rain, but hope for the best. If the sun does come out it'll only be warm between about 1000-1400.

Make sure your accommodation has central heating.

Eating and drinking, there's a wide choice. So it's up to you. Mezes are great if you choose the right place, but the popular restaurants in an evening will probably be long booked over the main Xmas days.

I lived just outside Paphos [Peyia] for 3 years, at Xmas we returned back to UK.

Although you'll get Xmas celebrations to one degree on another in hotels, and expat bars, the Cypriots tend not to go over-board with Xmas, they celebrate Epithany on 6 January.

And don't expect Cyprus to be inexpensive, it's well and truly in the EU, with EU prices.

Make sure you arrange Airport Transfers in advance, as Taxi drivers have a well earned and deserved reputation.

There is an inexpensive airport bus that covers the main hotel strip to the Harbour bis station in Paphos. Plus a connecting bus out to Coral Bay, which takes in the Tomb of the Kings area.

Cyprus isn't a Winter Sun destination, so you pays yer money and takes yer chance.

Sorry to sound a bit glum.....others may disagree with me.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think Cyprus is too bad for Winter Sun. I've been a few times and also to "proper" winter sun destinations such as Canaries and even further afield such as Jamaica, and can say that you may be unlucky enough to get a week of wind and rain in other winter sun places too. My few times in Cyprus in the winter have actually been OK - there are good and bad weeks - we've been lucky - only cold/rain for the odd day but generally mostly sunny. (Went in mid January last time and was able to walk around in shorts and a thin jacket due to mostly sunny days - obviously nights are cold!)

I've not experienced Cyprus over Christmas -so can't say what restaurants/hotels etc are like., but unlike other Med countries, there's still plenty open all year round - they don;'t have the general winter closure of other med resorts, so I can only assume that things are open as usual and I'd expect a fair attempt at them offering festivities.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you been to Cyprus/Pafos before....?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • PompeyPete
    edited 20 November 2018 at 8:44AM
    Pennywise.

Glad you wrote that, it just proves we have different opinions of the place.

Holidaymakers only see the odd week here and there, residents will have a different view, and often their views will also differ.

Cyprus isn't a Winter Sun destination particularly in December, January and February. Four hours of sunshine a day, 3 or 4 times a week proves that. And from late afternoon onwards it's very chilly EVERY day.

A lot of places do close for the Winter, and many will reduce their opening hours. Unless they get the business then what's the point of opening?

Prices may also go down, but so will the quality on offer. There's several restaurants in Paphos that'll offer 'good' deals, but the quality will be mediocre at best, and if the people serving the food are 3rd Country Nationals then you can be assured their wages are very low. So support exploitation if you wish.

Only my opinion.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Hi Duke

Go prepared for wind and rain, but hope for the best. If the sun does come out it'll only be warm between about 1000-1400.

Make sure your accommodation has central heating.

Eating and drinking, there's a wide choice. So it's up to you. Mezes are great if you choose the right place, but the popular restaurants in an evening will probably be long booked over the main Xmas days.

I lived just outside Paphos [Peyia] for 3 years, at Xmas we returned back to UK.

Although you'll get Xmas celebrations to one degree on another in hotels, and expat bars, the Cypriots tend not to go over-board with Xmas, they celebrate Epithany on 6 January.

And don't expect Cyprus to be inexpensive, it's well and truly in the EU, with EU prices.

Make sure you arrange Airport Transfers in advance, as Taxi drivers have a well earned and deserved reputation.

There is an inexpensive airport bus that covers the main hotel strip to the Harbour bis station in Paphos. Plus a connecting bus out to Coral Bay, which takes in the Tomb of the Kings area.

Cyprus isn't a Winter Sun destination, so you pays yer money and takes yer chance.

Sorry to sound a bit glum.....others may disagree with me.

Hi Pete, how was the cruise? I couldn't bring myself to do the Caribbean as although it was a good deal at £751 for 13 nights, but without the drinks package I don't think I'dve coped for 7 days at sea, & the fear of sea sickness of course. I did look at the Canaries too but decided against. Maybe next time.

Thanks for all that info, I was aware of the rain & wind, but was still hoping for sunshine. I thought it would be about 19 degrees for those few hours, then about 10 degrees at other times? I've got jeans, boots & jumpers on the packing list, winter coat too do you think? I'd be going to escape Christmas ;)
  • DUKE
    Pennywise wrote: »
    I don't think Cyprus is too bad for Winter Sun. I've been a few times and also to "proper" winter sun destinations such as Canaries and even further afield such as Jamaica, and can say that you may be unlucky enough to get a week of wind and rain in other winter sun places too. My few times in Cyprus in the winter have actually been OK - there are good and bad weeks - we've been lucky - only cold/rain for the odd day but generally mostly sunny. (Went in mid January last time and was able to walk around in shorts and a thin jacket due to mostly sunny days - obviously nights are cold!)

I've not experienced Cyprus over Christmas -so can't say what restaurants/hotels etc are like., but unlike other Med countries, there's still plenty open all year round - they don;'t have the general winter closure of other med resorts, so I can only assume that things are open as usual and I'd expect a fair attempt at them offering festivities.

Thanks Pennywise. Sounds good to me! Although I'd already decide against the shorts as we went to Spain last year in December & it was nice & sunny, & warm-ish but not really shorts weather. I'd be doing a HB package with TUI, as their prices are unbeatable.
  • DUKE
    Have you been to Cyprus/Pafos before....?

No C_Mababejive I've not been before.
  • PompeyPete
    DUKE wrote: »
    Hi Pete, how was the cruise? I couldn't bring myself to do the Caribbean as although it was a good deal at £751 for 13 nights, but without the drinks package I don't think I'dve coped for 7 days at sea, & the fear of sea sickness of course. I did look at the Canaries too but decided against. Maybe next time.

We enjoyed it, but prefer the smaller ships, which imo are more intimate and friendly.

The weather was a mixture. It was absolutely monsoon stuff when we flew in to Palma from LGW. Loads of folk had all their clothes soaked in the suitcases.

Cartagena and Malaga were fine, though Malaga was a bit chilly.

Heavy rain in Cadiz.

Funchal in Madeira was beautiful, definitely will make a longer visit.

Plenty of heavy and stormy weather on the Atlantic crossing. Unlike the last time at the at the same time of year when it was like a duck pond.

LOts of sea-sickness, not no effect on this ex-matelot and his Mrs.

Antigua was wet. St Lucia was wet on and off. Greneda was a mixture too.

Barbados was an absolute monsoon all day.

Food onboard was excellent. I'm a healthy eater, so don't mix meat and spuds on the same plate. Lots of salads, no bread. Never put an ounce on.

AI booze was good too, and I never held back on that.

But I still prefer smaller ships like Marella CELEBRATION.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    DUKE wrote: »
    No C_Mababejive I've not been before.

Well i wouldnt want to put you off..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • DUKE
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    We enjoyed it, but prefer the smaller ships, which imo are more intimate and friendly.

The weather was a mixture. It was absolutely monsoon stuff when we flew in to Palma from LGW. Loads of folk had all their clothes soaked in the suitcases.

Cartagena and Malaga were fine, though Malaga was a bit chilly.

Heavy rain in Cadiz.

Funchal in Madeira was beautiful, definitely will make a longer visit.

Plenty of heavy and stormy weather on the Atlantic crossing. Unlike the last time at the at the same time of year when it was like a duck pond.

LOts of sea-sickness, not no effect on this ex-matelot and his Mrs.

Antigua was wet. St Lucia was wet on and off. Greneda was a mixture too.

Barbados was an absolute monsoon all day.

Food onboard was excellent. I'm a healthy eater, so don't mix meat and spuds on the same plate. Lots of salads, no bread. Never put an ounce on.

AI booze was good too, and I never held back on that.

But I still prefer smaller ships like Marella CELEBRATION.

Sounds great fun Pete! I love a good old storm I do. Holz are what you make them I think.

We went to Madeira for 2 weeks in December 2012. Did you have a go on the cable car & toboggan?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure