Card Payments

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it costs to take card payments through a terminal for my business. I currently don't provide this. Thanks.

Comments

• Depends who you go with, plenty of people on here use the free readers and are charged a commission per transaction.

We use Lloyds Cardnet and have a mobile terminal. Monthly costs are split in to terminal rental, about £28 per month and processing fees, fixed at about £15 per month.

Probably seems like a large outlay, it works for us, older clients know the look and feel of the terminal, everyone has confidence in using it, and it just works for us.

We did survey our clients before choosing and quite a few didn't want to use the free ones, I guess it depends on your trading sector and location.
  • BB15
    BB15 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Really useful answer so thank you Fishey.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Base it on the amount of transactions you believe you will get.

The free PAYG ones typically charge 3.75% per transaction whether it's a credit card or a debit.

The proper merchants charge a monthly rental plus between 1% and 3% for credit cards and a fixed fee of around 25p for debit cards.

The bigger the turnover the better the rate.
  • westy22
    westy22 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I pay 1.4% of transaction value plus 0.20p per transaction - all credit / debit cards including Amex. This is using Stripe.
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
  • BB15
    BB15 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Thanks bris and westy. Only a small biz so I will check out the cheaper options.
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    I have an iZettle one, it takes most cards and does contactless. You pay for the reader and then a small amount per transaction. No monthly fees and they pay into your bank pretty quick (I can take a payment Saturday and it hits my bank Tuesday)
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    I use a Sumup card machine, no monthly fee and 1.69% on transactions.

Great for lower transaction levels, if you have high volume a monthly fee + lower transaction rates are better.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • I use Worldpay and have used them for a while

I take a fair bit on card and they are competitive.

I nearly went to RMS and cancelled that because they could not email me the contract (kept getting my email address wrong) despite me emailing them.
    I read up on them afterwards and it seemed like a lucky escape.
    baldly going on...
  • Hi, I had exactly the same question, I am a really small business and am only ever going to have a really small turnover but need to be able to take card payments both online and face to face. I’ve found it really hard to get a proper comparison and it’s extra difficult to find the banks information on the web . All help and advice welcome!
  • Depends on the amount of transaction you do. For high amounts, its a great ide to sign up for the FSB and then go to Worldpay. We pay £9.99 per month for a terminal then about 0.9% for most cards. Amex is separate through the same machine and this is 1.9%

Stripe is great for one of our mail order firms, no monthly and 1.4% and 20 per transaction.

Then for low volume face to face we use the SumUp card reader. 1.69% of the transaction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure