Royal Mail £8 Internal Post Handling Fee scam?

Options

Comments

• pmduk wrote: »
    Surely if people buy goods from overseas without making arrangements to pay for any customs, duties and/or taxes involved it's a bit rich of them to accuse other people of scamming. One can only assume they were hoping not to pay these charges.

You have misunderstood the contention. Nobody has complained about paying import duties such as VAT and excise. They're complaining about RM or Parcelforce charging excessive amounts to do it on their behalf when they have already paid for shipping (free or otherwise). RM charging £8 'admin' for paying £4 worth of import duties and holding the item hostage is basically a demand for ransom. They should send an invoice for £4 to the customer and wait until its paid before releasing the item.
  • Tarostar wrote: »
    I called their complaints department and was met by a very unsympathetic representative.

Theres no point in complaining to them. Just use the AsHappyAs method and get your money back after paying it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have misunderstood the contention. Nobody has complained about paying import duties such as VAT and excise. They're complaining about RM or Parcelforce charging excessive amounts to do it on their behalf when they have already paid for shipping (free or otherwise). RM charging £8 'admin' for paying £4 worth of import duties and holding the item hostage is basically a demand for ransom. They should send an invoice for £4 to the customer and wait until its paid before releasing the item.

Who is 'they'?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

So, who pays for the admin to produce the letter, and the postage to send it out? Who pays the overheads for the offices and the printers and the computers than run the service.

Who pays the person who arranges payments to be made on customers behalf?

Or do you think all these processes just happen for free?
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So, who pays for the admin to produce the letter, and the postage to send it out? Who pays the overheads for the offices and the printers and the computers than run the service.

Who pays the person who arranges payments to be made on customers behalf?

Or do you think all these processes just happen for free?

Is the correct answer "somebody other than me"
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You are lucky it was RM, some other carriers charge a lot more.

Importing stuff involves costs, if you fail to factor that in before ordering more fool you.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are lucky it was RM, some other carriers charge a lot more.

Importing stuff involves costs, if you fail to factor that in before ordering more fool you.

This thread is 11 years old. Rms fee has been static throughout.
    Must be due and increase in time for all the brexit import fees
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

You haven't got a clue how much it costs to administer these sums. Why should the rest of us subsidise these transactions?
  • Nataly17
    Options
    2nd time when i get this ridiculous ransom request from Royal Fail (I've got a card which demands £11.01, from those £8 solely for RM benefit).

And this will be the last one.

After previous time I decided to avoid anything with RM as a carrier and was diligently following this rule. Because more decent carriers (e.g. DHL) don't require that much and don't need this process of printing the cards and bringing them personally. You just get a link via email and pay online. Either RM has severely outdated&expensive processes (not my problem) or RM make money that way (not to be supported).

This time, unfortunately, another vendor used Royal Fail as a local vendor.

So since that moment I won't buy ANYTHING abroad which won't be delivered by a more decent carrier from one point to another. Yes DHL is more expensive, but they ship fast, they insure your package, you have a decent tracking. At least with the decent carrier you pay for the service and not for i-don't-know-what!

And "if you are so greedy, go to the Customs yourself" is NOT a justification. Carrier gets money for delivering stuff door to door. So it's carrier duty to have decent processes, not to make the customer face the dilemma of "maybe this stuff should be just shipped back because the whole idea of paying that much for HANDLING is ridiculous"
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Options
    Nataly17 wrote: »
    2nd time when i get this ridiculous ransom request from Royal Fail (I've got a card which demands £11.01, from those £8 solely for RM benefit).

And this will be the last one.

After previous time I decided to avoid anything with RM as a carrier and was diligently following this rule. Because more decent carriers (e.g. DHL) don't require that much and don't need this process of printing the cards and bringing them personally. You just get a link via email and pay online. Either RM has severely outdated&expensive processes (not my problem) or RM make money that way (not to be supported).

This time, unfortunately, another vendor used Royal Fail as a local vendor.

So since that moment I won't buy ANYTHING abroad which won't be delivered by a more decent carrier from one point to another. Yes DHL is more expensive, but they ship fast, they insure your package, you have a decent tracking. At least with the decent carrier you pay for the service and not for i-don't-know-what!

And "if you are so greedy, go to the Customs yourself" is NOT a justification. Carrier gets money for delivering stuff door to door. So it's carrier duty to have decent processes, not to make the customer face the dilemma of "maybe this stuff should be just shipped back because the whole idea of paying that much for HANDLING is ridiculous"

Any chance you can make the above coherent?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback