The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say...:beer: but this time with water!!
And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Old thread locked. Good luck all. Great threads as always. :D
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    fermi wrote: »
    Old thread locked. Good luck all. Great threads as always. :D

Thank You!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    A new shiny thread and I get to do this
    Honey Bear - OH and I have just been out for a very chocolatey lunch and it was fantastic, just what I wanted to celebrate my three year anniversary today.

1531470633-Happy-3rd-Anniversary.jpg

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear you've had bad news maggiem.

Hugs

Shaggyx
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    July 2017

Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif= 7 Days AF

avatar.normal?dateline=1408479257= 14 days AF

Smilies_Bananas_ChristmasDancing.gifdive.gif= 21 days AF

DancingGrape.gif= 28 days AF

fav3.gif= 31 days AF

flowerz.gif= Target Achieved

dancegirl2.gif= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 2
    /10
    Barny1979
    18/20Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257
    CathyBird 25/21
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gifflowerz.gifdancegirl2.gif
    CuppaTea 16/18Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257
    Eltee 7/21Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif
    ElusiveLucy
    14/13Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257flowerz.gifdancegirl2.gif

FakePlasticTwee
    /25

GreenKaren 3/8

Honey Bear 29/31Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gifDancingGrape.gif

Macpep1 6/14

MaggieM 2/7
    Maman 14/10Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifflowerz.gifdancegirl2.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257

ManPants 3/TF
    NewstartDMP 13/16
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif
    Poor Single Lady 22/25Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gif
    Pricey 16/20Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257

Scatterbrain 3/15
    Shaggy 18/21
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257
    Smiley77 18/30
    SukeyBoo
    15/12Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifflowerz.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dancegirl2.gif
    WBF 17/18

WJN222 1/10

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    August 2017

Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif= 7 Days AF

avatar.normal?dateline=1408479257= 14 days AF

Smilies_Bananas_ChristmasDancing.gifdive.gif= 21 days AF

DancingGrape.gif= 28 days AF

fav3.gif= 31 days AF

flowerz.gif= Target Achieved

dancegirl2.gif= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers

Barny1979
    /24

CathyBird /21

CuppaTea

Eltee

ElusiveLucy
    /15

FakePlasticTwee

GreenKaren

Honey Bear
    /31

Macpep1

MaggieM /15

Maman
    /10

ManPants

NewstartDMP /21

Poor Single Lady /20

Pricey

Scatterbrain

Shaggy /21

Smiley77

SukeyBoo
    /14

WBF /18

WJN222

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.
    march-easter-eggs.pngaug-13-estonian-summer-sun-preview.pngaugust-quotes-7.jpg
    SET A
    Target_logo.jpg
    31 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,157
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    hey all! *waves madly on shiny new thread* 26/21 for me today :)

2021 D: 93 2020 D: 96 2022 D: 15
  • cathybird
    Forumite
    It's been a day of drama all round - my laptop seemed to have given up the ghost, so I took it down the repair shop (a new one for me, my former very reliable repair guy has closed down) and was assured by the two chaps behind the counter that the laptop would probably need a new hard disk at a cost of £100 and they couldn't save any of my data - my heart sank, but I left it with them but went back five minutes later and said "no, there's no point then, I'll take it home" - I just had a feeling about it. They said, "well we might be able to save some of your data if you leave it with us" and I thought, that is not what you said five minutes ago mate. So I took it home with me and plugged it in and after about 10 minutes during which it did nothing at all it flashed up a message saying it was running a diagnostic test on itself and shortly thereafter it restarted itself and is now running normally! It just goes to show. I am very very happy I lost nothing and paid them nothing.

• cathybird
    Forumite
    Where is everyone? 27/21 for me today please.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport