Junior ISA

I've just moved my daughters Child Trust Funds to Junior ISA's and need to make a decision about what funds to invest in, I've been looking at either a VLS80 or VLS 100 but am not sure which way to go. Assuming they want to use the money when they are 18 rather than leave it invested how should I invest as they have 4 and 6 years respectively so not the long term that would be expected for a pure Stocks and Shares investment?
Also I've read some posts that mention that bonds are not a very good investment in times of low interest rates if this is true what should I use in order to diversify?

Thanks.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,339 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Remember that you can have both stocks and shares and cash - you could hedge your bets.

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts/overview
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    4 to 6 years is a fairly short timrframe to be investing and within a couple of years there will only be 2 to 4 years. Maybe a bit more if they stagger the withdrawals over 3 years eg Uni.

VLS80 or VLS100 seem very high risk for your situation but I am also concerned about bond interest rate sensitivity.

Maybe if you want to take on risk for the possibility of return buy both VLS60 and VLS80 to give you portfolio a 'VLS70' weighting? If it goes well for you in the first 2-3 years then I would be tempted to sell and move to a cash JISA to lock in the benefits. If it goes badly hold for as long as possible and try and keep withdrawals to a minimum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure