IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC PCN for roadway parking

Options
Hi, I've read the newbies thread and a lot of others on here over the past couple of hours but still had a question:

The driver of my car received a windscreen PCN from UKPC whilst parked on a quiet road of a newish estate.

There was a UKPC sign saying 'Permit Holders only - see notices in car park for conditions' but it was presumed that these related to the designated car parking spaces within a space looking like a car park beyond the sign (where my car was not parked), not other roads throughout the estate (there were no yellow lines on the road where my car was parked, and the car was not blocking the road or any entrances/exits).

There was another, less prominent sign saying 'No unauthorised parking' and no parking on the roadway, near to where the car was parked but parallel to the road

I am planning to appeal following the guidance within the newbies thread.

I understand the first step is to wait 26 days and then appeal, via e-mail, as the keeper using the blue template.

My question is whether I use the template verbatim? or omit the parts around a PDT machine and overstay of minutes, which clearly do not apply here?

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,702 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, just omit the parts around a PDT machine and overstay of minutes.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Thanks - the guide also says to complain to the retailer/landowner etc. Since its just a residential road on an estate how do I find out who to complain to (if anyone?).
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    UKPC are fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

The whole industry is a scam, relying on threats of court, and the public's ignorance of the Law, A bill is currently before parliament which will regulate the scammers, many of whom are ex-clampers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Second Reading in the Lords this month, and, with a fair wind, will l become Law later this year..

All five readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 7-8 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sooner or later - either at the Independent appeal service or in court you will need to show why the charge should be dropped.

You have the technical appeals in the sticky but you should get photographic evidence an a plan/photographs of the signs and are if you feel that the signs were misleading. They would be your best bet in court.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Thanks - have already got a couple of photos of the signs (e.g. https://postimg.cc/KkLypGDR) but plan to return to get more of general layout of roads, no signs at entrance etc
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Get pictures of the signs

There is no landowner to complain to, I would suggest.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get pictures of the signs

There is no landowner to complain to, I would suggest.

Could there be a freeholder?

We have a private road which we "own" and manage and have parking controls on. People could raise issues with us (the management company). A number of roads on newish estates don't get adopted by the councils.

The signs might have something to give a clue.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Thanks - how does a POPLA appeal work - do you have to attend a hearing in person, or is it all online? Couldn't find this in the faq\other posts
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Go HERE for all you need to know about POPLA appeals.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Thanks - apologies I may be being stupid\blind, but I can't see anything in the link which says whether you need attend a POPLA hearing in person? Can anyone confirm?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure