Sweet cart on the cheap

We want to DIY a sweet cart (well table, no cart!) at our wedding in March. We're not having a desert, just a cake plus the sweets.

Haven't properly started looking into it yet but thinking:
Costco (Mom works in the public sector) for the sweets, or a local sweet shop will supply in bulk too.
eBay/preloved/car boot for scoops/jars/bowls/bags etc
Home-printed tags/labels (if needed)

Am I missing anywhere obvious that I could look for supplies?

Then there's the argument on how much to get for 150 guests. My fiance doesn't want any left overs, whereas I could be quite happy (and quite fat) with a years supply of sweets. :rotfl:

Comments

• Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I got a lot of mine from pound stores and i got a lot of the jars in there too
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • DD265 wrote: »
    We want to DIY a sweet cart (well table, no cart!) at our wedding in March. We're not having a desert, just a cake plus the sweets.

Haven't properly started looking into it yet but thinking:
    Costco (Mom works in the public sector) for the sweets, or a local sweet shop will supply in bulk too.
    eBay/preloved/car boot for scoops/jars/bowls/bags etc
    Home-printed tags/labels (if needed)

Am I missing anywhere obvious that I could look for supplies?

Then there's the argument on how much to get for 150 guests. My fiance doesn't want any left overs, whereas I could be quite happy (and quite fat) with a years supply of sweets. :rotfl:

Costco sounds like a good bet to me for sweets in large quantities but I think you might be surprised with the things you can find in discount stores like poundland too.

I think you might find bowls/jars quite cheaply in the discount stores too...it's worth looking to see if it's cheaper than second hand. Although, you might be lucky enough to come across someone on ebay who did the same as you intend is selling a job lot.
    :cool:"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith:cool:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Put an add on freecycle for bowls and stuff.. I'd be tempted to use plant pots and little buckets.. I bet if you went on the scrounge through friends and family you would have loads.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We got sweet jars on amazon for about £15 with prime delivery, it was a set of 10 mixed sizes and they were plastic not glass so looked the part but wouldn’t break so the venue didn’t care what we did with them.

Scoops and bags from ebay.

We didn’t bother labelling the jars, everyone know what sweets look like!

We got most of the sweets from Costco with some from Aldi
  • skimper
    skimper Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm doing the same thing. I had all my jars & scoops handed down to me though so only need to buy the sweets & bags.
    I'll just be going to Costco for mine.

Ikea have jars starting from 75p so always worth a look & what other have said look on Gumtree/ebay for people selling the jars.

If your in the north west & its after the 17th March you can have mine :rotfl:
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks all, some good ideas!

I found https://www.hancocks.co.uk/buy-wholesale-sweets which is cheaper than Costco for the most part - and you can shop online as a private buyer so that's good. In Costco there were a few bits but not as many as I remember from when I was a kid! To be fair, I think we were sold on the Flying Saucers alone back then :rotfl:
  • I recently bought some bulk bags from HS Wholesale Sweets (domain is the name .co.uk! Will not let me post the link). They are a wholesaler selling all the leading sweet brands, but have no minimum order. Also got a sale page, which can be good for bargains and special offers.
  • Is your cart still available please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport