Who is liable for transactions in onboard shops on cruise ships?

In 2007 I bought a Seiko watch in an onboard shop on the Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the seas. It was marketed and sold to me as a ceramic watch.
I recently took it to a jeweller for a new battery and he advised that it needed a repair and told of the cost to sent it to Seiko. I mentioned that it would be worth the cost as it is a ceramic watch. He looked closely at it for a few minutes and announced that it was not ceramic but was ion-plated.
I contacted Royal Caribbean and they told me that their onboard shops are operated by Starboard Cruise Services and I should take up this mis-selling with them as they (RC) are not liable. At the moment I am still in communication with Starboard Cruise Services and await their response.
This led me to think about who is ultimately liable. One answer may be, as I understand it, the analogy with the high street. I if I had an issue with a transaction in, say, Clarks shoe shop I would take it up with Clarks, and not the property company from whom they rent the premises.
However, there is a crucial difference on a cruise ship. If you bought a pair of shoes from Clarks you would get a Clarks receipt and the shop is clearly badged as 'Clarks", so there is no doubt with whom you are dealing. On a cruise ship, the shops are promoted by the cruise company, there is nothing (expect maybe in miniscule small print somewhere) to say that the shops are operated by a third party, the transaction is effected through your cruise account and, in my case, the receipt is a Royal Caribbean receipt.
Finally, an added complication is that due to tax reasons, the shops are only open when the ship is in international waters.
I realise it was 12 years ago and any relevant legislation may no longer apply but, for the sake of future purchases, does anyone have knowledge of what law applies and who is liable?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry cant answer your question but after 12 years there is no possible chance of making a claim against anyone
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dead easy in terms of who they are, a respected company in the industry who I can't imagine mis-selling on a premium item. The issues you have are a) time elapsed and b) jursidiction for your consumer rights.

https://starboardcruise.com/#about
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Interesting question. If as you say, the shops are only open when in international waters, perhaps it's not immediately obvious which country's consumer rights legislation applies. I assume that as with airlines, the cruise company will be operating under, for example, UK law and therefore that its retail comes under the UK consumer legislation. Royal Caribbean appears to be governed by Florida law, so best start brushing up on that!

I suspect this is the downside of the "bargain" people think they're getting - that dealing with any problems is not as straightforward as it would be with a bricks-and-mortar or online store.
  • Angus_Og
    Angus_Og Posts: 329 Forumite
    Deke123 wrote: »
    ..... for the sake of future purchases, does anyone have knowledge of what law applies and who is liable?

Simple answer don't buy anything on cruise ships in the future.
  • Under international law, when a ship is in international waters, it is the laws of the country that the ship is registered in that apply.
    The Navigator of the seas is registered in the Bahamas so if you were able to take legal action against the seller of the watch, it would have to be under Bahamian law.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Angus_Og wrote: »

Or dont buy anything over a certain value OR whatever one buys you are willing to take a hit on the value.
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Angus_Og wrote: »

on the contrary !!!!!!!!!!
    my son has bought MANY watches onboard Royal caribbean ships in their $10 sale- and without fail they have all lasted a minimum of 2 years before the battery wears out at which point he recycles them with our plastic waste
    they are brill value for money -costing (depending on exchange rates) about £7-8 each - which is a similar cost for a new battery - they are fab !! :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2019 at 10:30PM
    Ive never paid more than 2 quid for a battery and they have always lasted 3 plus years

Up North, markets, fitted too
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    McKneff wrote: »
    Ive never paid more than 2 quid for a battery and they have always lasted 3 plus years

Up North, markets, fitted too

blimey the last battery I had fitted to my timex in the Midlands was £9 !!!!!!!!!!!!! and hubby had a new strap and battery and it was £32
    be careful - I might move closer to you :) :rotfl:
  • Angus_Og
    Angus_Og Posts: 329 Forumite
    kazzah wrote: »
    on the contrary !!!!!!!!!!

I guess the point went straight over your head.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure