Request for information, confused by reply

Hello everyone,
I’ve decided to bite the bullet and see if I can reclaim some old bank charges. They’re from 2006, so I realise I may be too late, but I think it’s worth a try. I’ve sent the template request for information letter to the bank and received an email today, however I know that all the charges I paid during the time period aren’t listed. I remember all my monthly wages being sucked up by charges as soon as I was paid, I once borrowed £1000 off my mum to try and get straight and this was sucked up by charges, yet all it’s showing on the information they’ve sent me is that they were charging me £40 a month for going over my overdraft, it’s not showing the vast amount they charged for cheques that bounced etc. At the time I was in severe hardship due to all this money going straight out of my account and had to literally live on cheques (stupid, I know :( ) So i’m basically wondering where to go from here, any advice will be much appreciated :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The bank will only be able to offer help if you're in current hardship.

Is that still the case?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I’ve decided to bite the bullet and see if I can reclaim some old bank charges. They’re from 2006, so I realise I may be too late,

The bank won the bank charges case in 2009. So, on what basis do you think you can claim them back?

Are you in current financial hardship and do you bank with the same bank?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    You are unable to claim back bank charges on the basis that they were unfair or unreasonable the banks won a court case in 2009 that makes this very clear.

If you are in a current cycle of charges/financial hardship then a bank can consider freezing some charges to alleviate this however they will not refund historic charges.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sukie1973 wrote: »
    I realise I may be too late, but I think it’s worth a try.
    Why would you think this? :eek:
    2006 is now thirteen years ago you realise?
    Historical Bank charges have not been recoverable for a decade now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure