It really IRKS me when

Options

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    People using the word "technically" for things that aren't technicalities. I've also noticed a rise in people using the reflexive pronoun incorrectly, for example, "Myself and my husband are buying a house." Arggghhhhhh!

Those who write "a lot" as one word but who don't mean "allot" although I find this helps:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Options
    My ex who used to say, "that's not how my mum does it." :rotfl:
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only time I have had it said to me is when I sneeze. Don't take it under my notice.
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    pickledonionspaceraider Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Anybody using "hun" should be shot by them.:mad:

Yes, a million times. It's really fake
    With love, POSR <3
  • And there is always '' At this moment in time........''
    With love, POSR <3
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Bit like 'So...' at the start of a sentence when it's not needed or relevant. I can't begin to tell you how much that annoys me. See it all the time on these forums and it sends me crazy. (Sorry if any of you have posted it above lol. Not trying to offend/dig lol.)

Almost as annoying is the politicians' favourite of preceding a sentence with the word 'look'. I think Tony Blair started that one, or at least popularised it.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,693 Forumite
    Options
    It really annoys me when computer spellcheck insists on altering correct English spellings of words to the USA equivalent.

Words such as centre, colour, and humour are automatically altered to spellings used in the USA - center, color, humor.

Why can't Mr Microsoft change the software for countries which are not USA states? After all, the language is English (not American)!

(I can see the supposedly incorrect spellings highlighted in red, as I am typing this! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    And there is always '' At this moment in time........''
    And 'at the end of the day...'
    Almost as annoying is the politicians' favourite of preceding a sentence with the word 'look'. I think Tony Blair started that one, or at least popularised it.

A work colleague used to ring me up and when I answered, her first word was 'Listen.'
    I used to say 'I am listening otherwise I wouldn't have picked the phone up' but it fell on deaf ears.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    1: I’m not talking abou people with issues walking

And then there are the types who just STOP and stand in very busy areas ...such as holding a conversation in a public door way.......or they bump into someone they know in a busy supermarket whilst 2 adults, their kids, and 2 trolleys block the entire aisle and then stare blankly at you whilst you struggle to get past...Making it like you are the one with the problem.

(Just to double up on Comms point, no one is talking about those less mobile.)
    With love, POSR <3
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    (Just to double up on Comms point, no one is talking about those less mobile.)

What makes you so certain you can always tell?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure