PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feels like a mammoth declutter needed

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'll join you. We're hoping to move next year, downsizing the house but upsizing the garden a bit, further West. I've been going for a while, car-booting, sending stuff to auction, Freecycling & taking stuff to the Scrapstore (I'm a crafter) but I've hardly scratched the surface after 25 years of large-family life. Compounding the problem is the stock for my market stall, which got out of hand when I kept having to miss events to rush off & care for my elderly mother! So that needs a good "edit" too, especially as said mother has now moved & is much closer to my brother & his family.

Funnily enough, I could part with most of our furniture without a backwards glance; there are a couple of items I'm fond of, like the rocking chair that's been in our family for about 200 years, but I know most of it can be replaced at the auctions at the drop of a hat, for not much money - I'm no fan of new stuff! "Easy come, easy go, " as my mother says, not that she thinks that's a compliment!

So, if we're off to the "No clutter" thread, I'll join you over there. But I may not manage NO clutter, depending on your definition of clutter, just LESS clutter - enough to fit in a removal van!
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Found a lady in church who will be very happy to take the cookie cutters (many of them Christmas-themed) off my hands. Could even double as templates for 'Messy Church Activities' :j :T!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,612
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Found a lady in church who will be very happy to take the cookie cutters (many of them Christmas-themed) off my hands. Could even double as templates for 'Messy Church Activities' :j :T!

I am glad you found someone who could use your cookie cutters, rather than free cycle I would donate to charity shops..if you don't want stuff or payment for it at least charity will benifit, with free cycle you will be waiting for people to turn up (or not at all).
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • I've wondered about free cycle but heard tales of people having to wait in for folks who don't turn up, as you say, when it's just as easy to pop to the chazzer with it. Well, it is for me anyway, I know that doesn't apply to everyone. I can walk to the main street of our town, which is awash with charity shops.

Wort was saying about not buying as much stuff - yes, I'm doing the same. if I do need something I look in the chazzers first. I've had some lovely stuff from charity shops
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Count me in.

I moved three weeks ago. Not only have I got lots of surplus "stuff", despite having a sort out before I moved, but the vendor left loads of her gubbins in the shed. :mad:

I took two big bin liners full of clothes to the charity shop yesterday and I'm hopefully getting rid of some furniture today.

This time I mean business. :rotfl:
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,810
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Have a good sort out then:-

Car boot
    Charity shop
    Local selling pages on FB

Good luck, I spent the summer turfing out various wardrobe / cupboards/ drawers / lofts.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Siebrie wrote: »
    One quick declutter condensed-kondo idea I recently read about was from a lady who quickly needed to move. She put a moving box in each room and filled it with the most important things from that room. The rest was 'optional' and most was donated.

This sounds brilliant.

I've been slowly decluttering for a while. I just take one little area at a time, and I often go back to it again and then get rid of some more stuff. I don't have a lot of stuff, but I'm hoping to move soon, and I would love to be able to only move what I definitely need.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I decluttered my 2-up-2-down to put my house on the market. It was good that I could finally get rid of all those things I'd "kept in case" ... and the things that "might come in handy"

I couldn't sell anything .. tried that, but nobody wanted it ... so it all went down the tip. My stuff was 2nd hand when I got it. Nothing of value here.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Two black bin liners of clothes, one double bed (mine), old pool stuff (vendors), broken kitchen drawers gone.

It's a beginning......:rotfl:
  • Good luck, OP!

We're also doing some serious decluttering, having recently liberated our worldly possessions from what began as three large storage units when we sold our last house in February ;)

I should add that we are collectors and definitely not minimalists, lol!

Going back about ten years we downsized from a 3500 sq ft, six bedroom house (with space for a wapping ELEVEN sofas :eek:) to a five bed that was less than half the size, then to another (larger) five bed, then in 2014 to a slightly smaller four bed. Our current cottage is a cosy 1400 sq ft two bed.

Along the way we've sold stuff and bought more - the original decluttering of the 'big' house led to starting an online antiques/interiors business we ran for a few years.

I recently calculated we'd sold over fifty of our own pieces of furniture over the past ten years......yikes!

So now we have a much smaller home - that we plan to stay in - and whilst we've not stopped buying, we have loads of stuff (from clothes to collectables) that we're gradually going through......and that's after a major declutter before we sold our last house.

It's very therapeutic!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills