Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals

Comments

• Takmon wrote: »
    How is it a joke? I really can't what all the fuss is about; all meters will eventually get replaced by smart meters at the end of their life so what's wrong with having it done sooner?

Many meters have been changed in the past and they will have almost certainly replaced it each time with a more modern one. The only reason people are objecting now is because they have been told they have a choice and have an illogical resistance to change.

It's a joke because in the case of Eon where they state that you ‘must’ have a smart meter installed it also says that if for some reason that can't happen (i.e. 'technical' reasons) then you will still remain on that tariff. Can't see the difference between that situation and someone just doesn't want one installed? They obviously make naff all difference to both the supply of the fuel and their systems so why force them onto people who don’t see the need for them?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have ignored every phone call, every text, every letter from them. They are perpetually, almost daily, mithering me by some medium.

Thing is, I have a a few issues with it.

1/ I believe it makes it trickier to change suppliers as that often means ANOTHER bl00dy meter to be fitted....
    2/ I don't really understand it, don't want it, can't see any benefit in it for me, so to speak.
    3/ I've got my house on the market and I'd rather leave it to any new owners to make their choices, rather than be annoyed at mine.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Gaikokujin wrote: »
    It's a joke because in the case of Eon where they state that you ‘must’ have a smart meter installed it also says that if for some reason that can't happen (i.e. 'technical' reasons) then you will still remain on that tariff. Can't see the difference between that situation and someone just doesn't want one installed? They obviously make naff all difference to both the supply of the fuel and their systems so why force them onto people who don’t see the need for them?

Well they obviously want to install smart meters in as many homes as possible but are being fair by not penalising people who can't have one installed.

A person who doesn't understand smart meters and doesn't "see the need for them" isn't really qualified to decide if they should be installed or not.
    You just need to look at the amount of threads on here from people who don't understand how energy billing works and get confused when they don't supply readings then suddenly get a big bill. If every home had a smart meter that automatically sent readings to their supplier then that would end estimated billing and everyone would have accurate bills and pay the right amount. This would solve the vast majority of people's problems who complain about getting an unexpected bill. So their is certainly a need for smart meters.

Now their have obviously been issues with the roll out and problems that should have been solved before they started. But that doesn't mean that they should scrap the project. Smart meters will eventually be the standard and nothing will stop that.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Contacted them using both their online webchat and on the phone to check if what I was reading was correct and got the same answer both times: from now on in if you want to be a customer of Eon and not pay their standard rate then installation of a smart meter is mandatory…absolute joke.

No idea if it's competitive for you but Eon have a 2 year fixed tariff which doesn't need smart meters as part of the MSE Big Winter Energy Switch currently running
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    They are perpetually mithering me by some medium.
    Had to look that one up :think:
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Takmon wrote: »
    Well they obviously want to install smart meters in as many homes as possible but are being fair by not penalising people who can't have one installed.

A person who doesn't understand smart meters and doesn't "see the need for them" isn't really qualified to decide if they should be installed or not.
    You just need to look at the amount of threads on here from people who don't understand how energy billing works and get confused when they don't supply readings then suddenly get a big bill. If every home had a smart meter that automatically sent readings to their supplier then that would end estimated billing and everyone would have accurate bills and pay the right amount. This would solve the vast majority of people's problems who complain about getting an unexpected bill. So their is certainly a need for smart meters.

Now their have obviously been issues with the roll out and problems that should have been solved before they started. But that doesn't mean that they should scrap the project. Smart meters will eventually be the standard and nothing will stop that.

Nice bit of mansplaining there to start off. I'll bite though...

I can only speak from my own perspective and in that sense I cannot see the need for having them installed in my home. I already provide monthly meter readings - and have done for years with a host of different suppliers - so the whole estimated bills thing hasn’t ever affected me. I’m not in the habit of leaving electrical devices and the like switched on when we're off on holiday or overnight (even the TV goes off at the wall every evening when we go to bed) and having a little screen telling me exactly how much energy my kettle uses when I switch it on isn't going to stop me making a cup of tea when I want one.

I appreciate that not everyone is the same and there will be some people for whom a smart meter is the greatest thing since sliced bread and has saved them a small fortune. But in my own case I genuinely don’t see that I would get a benefit, and I resent the fact that by exercising my right to opt out of having one installed I am being penalised and my market choice is being restricted by certain firms forcing a 'one size fits all' solution onto everyone.
  • gt94sss2 wrote: »
    No idea if it's competitive for you but Eon have a 2 year fixed tariff which doesn't need smart meters as part of the MSE Big Winter Energy Switch currently running

Thanks for the heads up. I did sign up for the MSE energy club thing last year but as we were still within the period where an exit fee could be charged haven’t looked at it in a while. Would be interesting if Eon are offering a tariff on there without the smart meter caveat though, given what I’ve been told by more than one of their employees today…
  • gt94sss2 wrote: »

How do you know it doesn't require smart meters?
    Does it specifically say that? If not, read the T&Cs first to be sure!
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nice bit of mansplaining there to start off. I'll bite though...

By the way the "person who doesn't understand smart meters" is just a generic person and wasn't aimed at you specifically.
    I can only speak from my own perspective and in that sense I cannot see the need for having them installed in my home. I already provide monthly meter readings - and have done for years with a host of different suppliers - so the whole estimated bills thing hasn’t ever affected me. I’m not in the habit of leaving electrical devices and the like switched on when we're off on holiday or overnight (even the TV goes off at the wall every evening when we go to bed) and having a little screen telling me exactly how much energy my kettle uses when I switch it on isn't going to stop me making a cup of tea when I want one.

I appreciate that not everyone is the same and there will be some people for whom a smart meter is the greatest thing since sliced bread and has saved them a small fortune. But in my own case I genuinely don’t see that I would get a benefit, and I resent the fact that by exercising my right to opt out of having one installed I am being penalised and my market choice is being restricted by certain firms forcing a 'one size fits all' solution onto everyone.

But it really is a once size fits all solution because by having one it wouldn't stop you from doing all the things you currently do with the existing meter but has the benefit of additional features as well.
    At the end of the day the meter belongs to the energy company so i don't see why people were given the right to refuse in the first place. They really should have instead allowed the energy companies to make them mandatory but they had to fit them at a time convenient for the person who lives there by offering an evening or weekend appointment if required.
    If they did that the it would solve the only problem with a meter change and that is inconveniencing the occupier.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the heads up. I did sign up for the MSE energy club thing last year but as we were still within the period where an exit fee could be charged haven’t looked at it in a while. Would be interesting if Eon are offering a tariff on there without the smart meter caveat though, given what I’ve been told by more than one of their employees today…

If you are on an Eon tariff already, Eon don't charge exit fees for moving to another tariff with them
    simmotech wrote: »
    How do you know it doesn't require smart meters?
    Does it specifically say that? If not, read the T&Cs first to be sure!

It's been confirmed by Eon on this board - see here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport