Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tsimehC
    • By tsimehC 10th Jan 12, 10:35 PM
    • 718Posts
    • 751Thanks
    tsimehC
    DWP Recruiting Again - 2012
    • 10th Jan 12, 10:35 PM
    DWP Recruiting Again - 2012 10th Jan 12 at 10:35 PM
    It was going to be a matter of time but new vacancies are up nationwide for you lovely people looking to work for the DWP (in Jobcentres no less) and they're on permanent contracts which is a big plus in this current climate of casual, temporary and fixed-term uncertainty.

If you're interested in applying:

https://jobs.civilservice.gov.uk/company/nghr/jobs.cgi

Sort the department by Department of Work and Pensions and you'll find the relevant processes from there on. Closing date's on the 22nd of this month.

Good luck!

On a side-note, I find it quite frustrating that most (not all according to thunderbolt) fixed-term appointees were not kept on to deal with whatever the government needs help with now (probably the relabelled New Deal policies). All those hours FTAs spent in training sessions, inductions, making good contacts with provider etc. It seems like history keeps repeating itself for the DWP regardless of whoever's in charge.
    Last edited by tsimehC; 11-01-2012 at 1:23 AM.
Page 2
    • tsimehC
    • By tsimehC 13th Jan 12, 5:33 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    tsimehC
    Thanks for the heads up op...I've applied for a couple of different areas. I was previously on a fixed term contract with the DWP (along with many others) and they let us all go in 2010. Interesting to see these roles are listed as permanent, and that there are so many of them. Hopefully they will all come to fruition
    Originally posted by cherry-pie
    No problem. I was due to end in 2010 as well but I got my contract extended as the number of unemployed was still getting higher (it still is I guess). I've done most of the competency part and looking to apply in multiple areas too but do you know if you need to do the tests again for each area you apply to? Thanks in advance.
  • poet123
    EO used to be an entry level grade for graduates if I remember correctly. Is this not still the case?
    • tsimehC
    • By tsimehC 13th Jan 12, 6:30 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    tsimehC
    EO used to be an entry level grade for graduates if I remember correctly. Is this not still the case?
    Originally posted by poet123
    Nope, it's down to work/life experiences more now although a degree can't hurt. Makes sense anyway as I never used anything I learnt in university while I worked as an EO.
  • poet123
    Nope, it's down to work/life experiences more now although a degree can't hurt. Makes sense anyway as I never used anything I learnt in university while I worked as an EO.
    Originally posted by tsimehC
    Nor me but I am really asking for the graduate son of a friend, who has not been able to get a permanent role since leaving Uni, but who also doesn't have managerial experience.

Would he automatically fail the online test because of this? I don't want to tell him about the vacancies if he is not likely to get past the first hurdle.
    • tsimehC
    • By tsimehC 13th Jan 12, 6:53 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    tsimehC
    Nor me but I am really asking for the graduate son of a friend, who has not been able to get a permanent role since leaving Uni, but who also doesn't have managerial experience.

Would he automatically fail the online test because of this? I don't want to tell him about the vacancies if he is not likely to get past the first hurdle.
    Originally posted by poet123
    I'm not in a position to say whether or not he'll fail it because of that but in all honesty, it can't hurt to have a go. It takes a large chuck of time to complete properly but it's better to say you had a go rather than assume you won't get through because of that lack of experience.

One thing to note is that these EO roles will most likely be about face-to-face customer interviews rather than behind-the-scene stuff. Theoretically, you should be managing AOs but this never happened for me or anyone else in the last office I worked in. They had others (the old-timers) that did that however managing one's performance is always something everyone has a lot of so more focus should be placed on that IMO. I did that anyway, if it backfires...oh well.
    • Gleeful
    • By Gleeful 13th Jan 12, 6:59 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 7,414 Thanks
    Gleeful
    I'm not in a position to say whether or not he'll fail it because of that but in all honesty, it can't hurt to have a go. It takes a large chuck of time to complete properly but it's better to say you had a go rather than assume you won't get through because of that lack of experience.

One thing to note is that these EO roles will most likely be about face-to-face customer interviews rather than behind-the-scene stuff. Theoretically, you should be managing AOs but this never happened for me or anyone else in the last office I worked in. They had others (the old-timers) that did that however managing one's performance is always something everyone has a lot of so more focus should be placed on that IMO. I did that anyway, if it backfires...oh well.
    You see, I am currently a manager and thinking this job may pay more but sounds like a side step and not a good career move.
    • tsimehC
    • By tsimehC 13th Jan 12, 7:16 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    tsimehC
    You see, I am currently a manager and thinking this job may pay more but sounds like a side step and not a good career move.
    Originally posted by Gleeful
    I can't argue with that. If you have a safe, stable job then I wouldn't apply for this job regardless of pay because of several factors (not going to delve into any specifics here).

edit: Just did the test, that was surprisingly quite challenging.
    Last edited by tsimehC; 13-01-2012 at 9:44 PM.
  • stranger.123
    hey
    I left my fixed term role in October 2010, after working with JCP city for 11 months, started a 2 year contract with local government (Newham council), left at just the right time.

Did apply yesterday, very different process this time, completed application with 5 competencies then told passed that stage and had to complete a 75 minute test, 36 questions.

Wait to see what happens now.
    Originally posted by AleksandrOrlov

heya did u pass the test? i have just completed the test.. wasnt hard but baffled me in some cases!!! how did u get on with it and what area did u reply in? Good Luck.

i passed the appliacation stage, i have done the test. But i got my compentencies checked by a friend today and she though they werent very good.. its really disheartened me! but i passed the application stage, cant be that bad eh!
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 14th Jan 12, 8:04 AM
    • 4,761 Posts
    • 5,264 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    heya did u pass the test? i have just completed the test.. wasnt hard but baffled me in some cases!!! how did u get on with it and what area did u reply in? Good Luck.

i passed the appliacation stage, i have done the test. But i got my compentencies checked by a friend today and she though they werent very good.. its really disheartened me! but i passed the application stage, cant be that bad eh!
    Originally posted by stranger.123
    Look at the indicators that need to be met individually and then find where you've met that indicator and if you think its clear enough, try using some of the words in your example that are in the indicator. Also remember that the examples don't necessarily have to be work based for example you might be a scout leader or you might have managed a house move. If you've been involved in something but didn't do it alone say that you did in your example. You need to remember that its about what you did so use "I" rather than "WE".

Sadly the competencies are supposed to make it fairer to people but its just a game on who can write 250 words in line with what has been asked. I've lost count of the number of people I know that have been promoted on the basis of writing good competencies where the examples weren't even their own and they are totally incompetent in the job when they get it. Personally i couldn't do it, I wouldn't be able to confidently talk aobut them at interview which is hard enough as it is without lying but some people have no conscience .
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • cherry-pie
    No problem. I was due to end in 2010 as well but I got my contract extended as the number of unemployed was still getting higher (it still is I guess). I've done most of the competency part and looking to apply in multiple areas too but do you know if you need to do the tests again for each area you apply to? Thanks in advance.
    Well, I've applied for 3 areas and have completed the test once. My login page is now telling me that I have completed the test for 2 of the areas, but the 3rd is saying I am yet to complete the test lol! Very strange...So, I guess I'll have to do the test again for the 3rd one
    When you're going through hell, keep going...
  • LisaB85
    I applied yesterday, I was a band B before and this is a Band C job I must admit I found the application process horrid and not sure I will get anywhere with it.
    • Druagh
    • By Druagh 14th Jan 12, 11:55 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Druagh
    Incremental pay rises
    I am really in two minds about this...I am already on top band pay which is 22,300. I would not be taking much of a paycut at the start, and end up on more money as years go by doing this job!
    Originally posted by matt1987
    Just to say that no one should apply for these jobs assuming automatic incremental progression up the pay scale as in other employment. This does not happen in the Civil Service. It's very unusual for anyone to be given an incremental rise and quite common for people with decades of experience to still be at the bottom of their pay grade. This has been an issue in the DWP etc. for many years, so beware!

Having said that, I'll still be applying anyway...

Druagh
    • vanessa71170
    • By vanessa71170 14th Jan 12, 4:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    vanessa71170
    DWP Test
    Hi there has anyone done the second test and if so, can you give me some examples of what to expect please x
  • stranger.123
    well, i've applied for 3 areas and have completed the test once. My login page is now telling me that i have completed the test for 2 of the areas, but the 3rd is saying i am yet to complete the test lol! Very strange...so, i guess i'll have to do the test again for the 3rd one
    Originally posted by cherry-pie
    wow well done cherry pie, can u not help me?
  • AleksandrOrlov
    Hi there has anyone done the second test and if so, can you give me some examples of what to expect please x
    Originally posted by vanessa71170
    Second test?

You mean the 36 questions?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Jan 12, 10:16 PM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    agrinnall
    wow well done cherry pie, can u not help me?
    Originally posted by stranger.123
    I'm sorry, but if you can't do it yourself how do you think you'll manage in the interview, let alone in the job? They will want to know about your abilities, not those of other people.
  • stranger.123
    I have done band c job before, its the test ive failed thats all. Just asking for help not answers.
    • vanessa71170
    • By vanessa71170 15th Jan 12, 1:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    vanessa71170
    Yea I'm nervous, I don't know why!
    I think its just I really would like a change of career, and this job seems just right.
  • AleksandrOrlov
    Has anyone had the results of their test yet?

Completed mine Wednesday PM, but not heard a thing since?

Someone posted in another thread they scored 98%, but not had an email about next stage.....
  • drwho2011
    Of the competencies only one of them is mandatory for the application.

I doubt they will have a huge effect on those who get through the sift as a lot of weight is put on the testing.

Not to dishearten people but having gone through about 8 application processes for the DWP and getting to various stages I have found that they are often overwhelmed with applications which is why the test is important in getting to interview.

The actual passmarks for numerical and verbal reasoning are about 74% and 50% respectively between EO and HEO levels so its possible to pass with the test at 60% overall (as long as you meet the minimums in each category)

Last HEO role I went for was for 10 posts, got 2000 applicants, 600 passed the test, 60 got interviewed (the passmark was raised to 90% to reduce the eligible candidates).

For AO and EO roles they interview between 6-10 applicants and I would assume in each district there will be between 1000-3000 applicants simply because DWP staff are submitting job seekers to these jobs left right and centre, my old office met the max submission allowed by 10.30am the morning they posted the jobs and the limit was subsequently raised.

Most the AO's in my old office are going for promotion externally in this exercise.

I'd advise people not to stress to much and if you get an interview then good luck because your half way there
    Last edited by drwho2011; 16-01-2012 at 7:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,738Users online

Martin's Twitter