The Work Programme New Thread

What do you actually do when you attend? How long are you there? Do you find advisors try and get you to apply for jobs where its clear you havent got the experience and wont get it?

How helpful or not is it?
:footie:

Comments

• I'm not on the Work Programme, but I'll let you in on my prediction of what will become of it next year. Sometime in the latter part of the year, under the pressure of having to find jobs for the continous supply of unemployed that the DWP will funnel to them, the providers will go cap in hand to the DWP for more money as more unemployed means more salaries for advisors and a stagnant economy will mean fewer opportunities for outcome payments. Therefore, the DWP will have two choices; refuse to pay, so then the DWP will have to deal with the long-term unemployed or, and I suspect more likely, the DWP will cough up making the Work Programme no different to New Deal.
  • out_of_cash
    out_of_cash Posts: 763 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2011 at 7:01PM
    your bang on,but those half wits in goverment have seriously over looked this,they are also planning to close job centres,what a good idea.The work programme is only suitable for younger very in experienced people without a works history behind them.Getting everyone and anyone to do this bag of crap sheme is totally mental and a cost of something in the region of billions by the end of the 2-5yr period.

They just send people who are 12mths + unemployed to work for an hrly rate of approx £2 an hour with the false lure of a job, its slave labour, and big companies are loving this, and so too is every scum bag provider who have signed up to it. When your working for a huge company on that low wage,what makes anyone think they will want to be hired,and especially at times like these when they now have a never ending stream of people being chucked at them by the WORKPROGRAMME providers. They are placing people into temp positions which are not really needed and getting a huge fat cheque from the goverment per head placed via the tax payer,hence the massive overall cost.They had new deal and this is just the same old crap.

Anyone who wants this great ide banned sign the goverments e petition.
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22934

How to write a cv,like mines been good for 34 yrs.
    How to conduct yourself at an interview.
    Mindless team building excercises.
    Training which is no good to anyone,any training of any significant value is not available "i wonder why that is?"

a total waste of tax payers money and politicians being seen tobe doing something for their wages.
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    edited 25 December 2011 at 2:19AM
    red_devil wrote: »
    What do you actually do when you attend? How long are you there? Do you find advisors try and get you to apply for jobs where its clear you havent got the experience and wont get it?

How helpful or not is it?
    IMO the WP is a waste of time. Started it in July - went to two seperate appointments to have the assesment then booked in a month later to go over the 'homework' set which was things that I was already doing. Went back for this appointment which had been cancelled with no prior notice so didn't see anyone that day. Was trasferered to another office where the old office said it was easier to get to. Waited 8 days for the new office to call me and then they transfered me back to the old office. Told me to wait for them to call me and I waited 12 weeks!! Had a call 2 weeks ago to attend in January and when I do it will be 1 week short of 5 mths since I have seen someone.

When they called me 2 weeks ago they have the bare faced cheek to acuse me of not attending but I told them I had been doing nothing more or nothing less than what I was told by one of their advisers on email so I asked what appointments have I missed. There was some rustling of papers then the reply 'erm none'!!

So far as I have not seen an adviser I have no idea what they think they can do for me or anyone else come to think of it and I know it will fail. They can not make a company interview you, they can not make them take you on either.

In the two meetings I have attended I have been there for a total of two hours!!

Oh yes an in the 2 meetings I have attend and the intoduction they made NO mention of working for free or work trials or anything else everyone else keeps going on about.

The Govenment would have done better to give Employers an incentive to take on unemployed people like a payment instead of throwing £££ at these 'providers'!
  • imatt
    imatt Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 December 2011 at 11:44AM
    What LadyMissA says is sad but all too true. Many on the WP have been left to their own devices for weeks on ends after having a couple of meetings with an 'advisor'.

Many will say something like "why do you not want the WP to help you find work?". This is a poor defence. Many jobseekers are not adverse to seeking and receiving help, advice and a bit of guidance. Indeed, no man / woman is an island and cannot know everything. However, with schemes like the WP and the New / Flexible New Deal before it, the issue is not so much the help but the VERY poor help being offered by most providers.

In fact, LadyMissA has revealed another issue. If the WP is so vital and the work providers do is so important, then surely they should be seeing 'clients' on a far more regular and consistent basis??? It is obvious even to Mr Magoo that WP providers are woefully short on resources including staff. Add the fact that unemployment is skyrocketing, and you have a recipe for disaster. Hence people not being seen for weeks on end!

Will the WP fail? Probably. There are signs it is doing so right now. However, before throwing in the towel, the govt and DWP will no doubt go on a major rebranding exercise.
  • LadyMissA
    edited 26 December 2011 at 4:41PM
    imatt wrote: »
    What LadyMissA says is sad but all too true. Many on the WP have been left to their own devices for weeks on ends after having a couple of meetings with an 'advisor'.

Many will say something like "why do you not want the WP to help you find work?". This is a poor defence. Many jobseekers are not adverse to seeking and receiving help, advice and a bit of guidance. Indeed, no man / woman is an island and cannot know everything. However, with schemes like the WP and the New / Flexible New Deal before it, the issue is not so much the help but the VERY poor help being offered by most providers.

In fact, LadyMissA has revealed another issue. If the WP is so vital and the work providers do is so important, then surely they should be seeing 'clients' on a far more regular and consistent basis??? It is obvious even to Mr Magoo that WP providers are woefully short on resources including staff. Add the fact that unemployment is skyrocketing, and you have a recipe for disaster. Hence people not being seen for weeks on end!

Will the WP fail? Probably. There are signs it is doing so right now. However, before throwing in the towel, the govt and DWP will no doubt go on a major rebranding exercise.

I have had NO sessions with advisers to advise me so it's hillarious they think they can really help anyone.

If it was the job centre you can sympathise if they say we are under staffed or we are told to do this or that but the providers who are working with people on the WP are companies who have applied to do so. If they can't do what they set out to do then maybe it's time to step aside or just all admit it will not work for people who have had jobs/careers who say were made redundant.

I will just see that they have to say to me in January but not holding out any hope and besides I have a formal complaint lodged with them now and their Ops Director is looking into it. Can't wait to read the response as I told them I will not be fobbed off with the old chesnut 'we are sorry but we do not know' or 'we take on board your points and we will learn from them' etc as they are meant to be (so their website says) 'professional, deadicated and experienced'!!
  • imatt
    I have had NO sessions with advisers to advise me so it's hillarious they think they can really help anyone

Which makes it all the worse then, dosen't it? And LadyMissA is NOT an isolated case! The WP providers have bitten off more than they can chew. They remind me of this snake (not for the squeamish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayg_YG2iy4

They know they cannot fully deliver YET they still pretend that they offer a good service! That said, half the blame has to go to Duncan Smith, Grayling and Cameron who (amongst others) devised this madcap idea in the first place.
  • LadyMissA
    edited 26 December 2011 at 7:49PM
    Which makes it all the worse then, dosen't it? And LadyMissA is NOT an isolated case! The WP providers have bitten off more than they can chew. They remind me of this snake (not for the squeamish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayg_YG2iy4

They know they cannot fully deliver YET they still pretend that they offer a good service! That said, half the blame has to go to Duncan Smith, Grayling and Cameron who (amongst others) devised this madcap idea in the first place.

I wont watch the video as I can not stand snakes but get the jist as to what it may be.

I wrote to Iain Duncan Smith about 7 months ago (before I was put on the WP) asking what help the unemployed could get in finding a job and the problems I was coming up against and I got some lame reply from someone at DWP as my letter was refered to them saying and I quote 'A more tailored system of back-to-work help is now being brought in with the introduction of the new Work Programme, which has now started to go live across the country. This will involve private and voluntary sector organisations, in order to provide better support for longer-term jobseekers. Local Jobcentre Plus staff can advise on what is available for each individual person.'

They could not answer the question and when I replied saying what does that mean and what was the Work Programme I got a reply saying look at DWP website!

If my complaint doesn't get a proper reply and explantion I have told the WP I will be forwarding it to the Mr Grayling , Mr Duncan Smith, Mr Cameron and my MP for their comments on the 'service' this provider is meant to be giving, plus I want to know their success % as they have been doing this now for over 7 mths and were also the providers in the area for the New Deal (whatever that was) and have been doing this kind of thing for over 20 years!

Instead of giving the WP god knows how much ££ when people get a job possibly off their own back and hard work why not give employers direct an incentive - that makes more sense.
  • imatt
    I think the results from the WP will not be known until Spring 2012 at the earliest. Don't expect them to be great! However, it all depnds on:

A) How you spin / present things

B) Who your intended audience is

The newspeak from Govt depts such as the DWP does not help matthers either. What is amusing (not in a hee-hee sense) is:

"This will involve private and voluntary sector organisations, in order to provide better support for longer-term jobseekers. Local Jobcentre Plus staff can advise on what is available for each individual person."

Firstly, as I revealed in a post in a previous thread, many charities are feeling somewhat shafted and conned by some WP providers as they are:

A) Some charities and non-profit orgs are having people sent to them by the likes of A4e to learn basic skills. These charities are not getting paid for thier time or effort.

B) Some providers have the brass neck to ask charities to provide volunteers to THEIR premises in order to teach skills to clients on the WP. Again, no payment goes to these charities and non-profit orgs.

Secondly, many JobCentre Plus staff have no clue as to what is available. Poor training, bad attitudes and precious little time to spend with thier 'customers' all contributes to this lacklustre service.
  • LadyMissA
    edited 27 December 2011 at 1:00PM
    I think the results from the WP will not be known until Spring 2012 at the earliest. Don't expect them to be great! However, it all depnds on:

A) How you spin / present things

B) Who your intended audience is

The newspeak from Govt depts such as the DWP does not help matthers either. What is amusing (not in a hee-hee sense) is:

"This will involve private and voluntary sector organisations, in order to provide better support for longer-term jobseekers. Local Jobcentre Plus staff can advise on what is available for each individual person."

Firstly, as I revealed in a post in a previous thread, many charities are feeling somewhat shafted and conned by some WP providers as they are:

A) Some charities and non-profit orgs are having people sent to them by the likes of A4e to learn basic skills. These charities are not getting paid for thier time or effort.

B) Some providers have the brass neck to ask charities to provide volunteers to THEIR premises in order to teach skills to clients on the WP. Again, no payment goes to these charities and non-profit orgs.

Secondly, many JobCentre Plus staff have no clue as to what is available. Poor training, bad attitudes and precious little time to spend with thier 'customers' all contributes to this lacklustre service.

My actual provider should know what their success rate is as they know how many people started the WP and how many people are left on it and those in work and being paid for it. I think we all have the right to know how good they are.
  • imatt
    My actual provider should know what their success rate is as they know how many people started the WP and how many people are left on it and those in work and being paid for it. I think we all have the right to know how good they are.

I largely agree with you. Perhaps what I should have said was the results from the WP will not be PUBLISHED until Spring 2012. OK, it's still early-ish days for the WP. However, they should know ar least roughly how many have found sustainable jobs due to the WP and how many have not. Again, expect a major spin operation where black is white, up is down, left is right and north is south!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure