Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoeLowe
    • By JoeLowe 26th Aug 11, 6:26 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    JoeLowe
    Help with Tesco's screening questions
    • 26th Aug 11, 6:26 PM
    Help with Tesco's screening questions 26th Aug 11 at 6:26 PM
    I am trying to apply for a job at Tescos, but am unable to get past the screening questions. Could anyone help?

I have so far applied to 3 jobs and have tried various variations, but failed everytime.

*Question 1
    You are refilling a section of shelves in the store which you need to have completed before your break. Your manager approaches you and asks you to take your break an hour earlier as one of your colleagues needs to leave early today.
    Answer A: Agree to change the time of your break and ask if a colleague can finish refilling the section.
    Answer B: Tell your manager that you cannot change the time of your break as you need to finish refilling the shelves.
    Answer C: Agree to change the time of your break and check with your manager that you can finish refilling the section after your break. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 2
    You have been serving at the checkout during your shift. It has been a quiet morning and the store has not had many customers. There are no customers waiting to be served at your checkout. A customer on the checkout next to you is struggling to pack their shopping.

Answer A: Leave your checkout and help the customer to pack their shopping.
    Answer B: Find a colleague to help the customer to pack their shopping.
    Answer C: Take the opportunity to have your break while there are no customers to serve. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 3
    You are refilling shelves when you notice a customer putting products in a bag that they are carrying rather than a basket or a trolley. The customer could be intending to pay for the products at the checkout but you are unsure.

Answer A: Do not approach the customer and assume that they will pay for the items when they get to the checkout.
    Answer B: Go and tell a colleague what the customer is doing and that you think they are shoplifting.
    Answer C: Make the customer aware of the staff presence in the store by approaching them and asking if they would like any help. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 4
    You are just about to go on your lunch break. A customer asks you to help them with their shopping. Helping the customer will mean taking a shorter lunch break.

Answer A: Quickly tell the customer where the main products are and go on to take your lunch break.
    Answer B: Help the customer with their shopping and ask your manager if the time of your lunch hour can be changed to later because you were helping a customer.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that they should find another member of staff to help as you are about to take your lunch break.
    Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 5
    You usually work in the fruit and vegetables section but the clothing section will have a shortage of staff for three days next week. Your manager asks you to work in the Clothing section while they need the extra help.

Answer A: Spend a few hours making sure you understand the new tasks that you will be doing in the clothing section.
    Answer B: Find a colleague to replace you in the clothing section as you would be uncomfortable working somewhere you have not worked before.
    Answer C: Hope that you will understand the new tasks in the clothing section when you start. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 6
    Your manager asks you to cover your colleague’s work as they are off sick. You already have a full day’s work planned.

Answer A: Agree on the most important tasks for the day with your manager.
    Answer B: Finish your work first and then fit your colleague’s tasks in if you have time.
    Answer C: Concentrate on the tasks that are your normal daily responsibilities. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 7
    You are cleaning up spilt yoghurt which, if left, could be dangerous for customers. A customer asks you to help them to take their shopping to the checkout.

Answer A: Tell the customer that you cannot help them because if the spilt yoghurt is not cleaned up it could cause an accident.
    Answer B: Ask the customer to wait while you find someone else to finish cleaning up the spilt yoghurt so that you can assist the customer.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you would be happy to help them with their shopping once you have finished cleaning up the spilt yoghurt. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 8
    You have just returned from your break and are about to start refilling the sweets aisle when a customer approaches you to complain that the apples they bought tasted very bitter.

Answer A: Listen to the customer’s complaint so that you can decide on the best way to help the customer.
    Answer B: Suggest that the customer goes to Customer Services as you have been asked to refill the Sweets aisle.
    Answer C: Ask the customer to wait while you go to find a manager to help them. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 9
    You have a long queue of customers waiting to be served at the checkout. While you are scanning a customer’s shopping one of the products does not scan properly. You need help to find out the product’s price but your colleagues are serving other customers.

Answer A: Apologise to the queue of customers while you alert your team leader and offer to help the customer to pack their shopping.
    Answer B: Suggest that the customers in the queue may want to use another checkout while you wait for a colleague to help you.
    Answer C: Suggest that the customer leaves the product if they want to be served quickly. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 10
    The store is expecting a very busy week before a holiday season starts. Additional staff will be needed in the store so that everything still runs smoothly. Your manager says that if anyone can do any extra shifts it would be greatly appreciated.

Answer A: Wait to see if your colleagues take the extra shifts before offering to help.
    Answer B: Check your diary and commit to any extra shifts where you have the time.
    Answer C: Assume that the spare shifts will be taken by your colleagues who have the time. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 11
    There are road works being done on your normal route to work for two days next week. This may delay your journey by as much as half an hour each way.

Answer A: Assume that your manager will understand as it is not your fault that you are late.
    Answer B: Tell your manager in advance that as your journey will be delayed you will be arriving late for work on those two days.
    Answer C: Leave for work earlier than usual to try to beat the traffic and make sure that you arrive on time. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 12
    You are collecting stock from the back of the store to use to refill some of the shelves in your section. You notice that there is some stock missing for the third time in the past two weeks.

Answer A: Ask the last person to refill the same shelves if they know where the missing stock is.
    Answer B: Talk to your team leader about the missing stock when you have a chance to do it quietly.
    Answer C: Assume that the stock has been moved and continue with your task to refill the shelves. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 13
    Your store is a busy one and there is always something that can be done. You have noticed that one of your colleagues is often in the back of the store doing nothing especially when additional help is needed on the checkout points.

Answer A: Quietly mention to your manager that you feel that your colleague has not been contributing to the team.
    Answer B: Complain loudly to any other colleagues that may be nearby whenever you cannot see your colleague.
    Answer C: Tell your colleague that you are annoyed that they do not help out as much as everyone else. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 14
    You notice a customer is looking for something in the section you are working in and you offer to help. The customer is looking for barbeque utensils but these are a seasonal product and are not available at this time of year.

Answer A: Explain to the customer that seasonal products are only available for sale during certain months of the year.
    Answer B: Tell the customer that if they cannot locate a product in the store then it usually means that it is out of stock.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that barbeque utensils are not stocked at this time of year but offer to check the stockroom. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 15
    A customer approaches you in the store and asks why they cannot find the product that they are looking for. The product has been discontinued and so the store cannot stock it anymore.

Answer A: Carefully explain the situation to the customer and recommend a similar product that the customer could use instead.
    Answer B: Explain to the customer that the store does not stock the product anymore and that they can speak to Customer Services for more information.
    Answer C: Tell the customer about another store where you think they might still be able to buy the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 16
    You are working at the checkout and have a growing queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Answer A: Continue scanning the rest of the customer’s shopping as you have other customers waiting.
    Answer B: Finish the sale but tell the customer that if they speak to Customer Services they can be refunded the amount that they were owed.
    Answer C: Apologise to the queue of waiting customers and alert your line manager to correct the price of the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

*Question 17
    You are shopping on behalf of a customer that has ordered online. One member of your team is away so you are busier than normal. You only have a short time before the order is due to be loaded in to the van. As you are about to take the order to the van a customer approaches you with a question about returning an item.

Answer A: Put the order safely to one side and walk with the customer to where the return can be made.
    Answer B: Tell the customer where returns can be made and that a colleague will be able to help them.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you are not able to assist with returned items and that they should find a manager. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C
Page 3
  • smileylondongal
    Well done.

Its the truth which you cant handle, i stand by my reply your the 1 wanting the job, ive not asked people on here what answer would they give for this screening question for a tesco application form or a sainsburys application.

I wouldnt expect anyone to answer the questions for me as i wouldnt have answered the questions on my own.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    OP, I'm not being funny but what if we had all given you the answers, you'd popped them in and then you hadn't been selected - would you blame a random set of online strangers on a forum or yourself?

I think people have been extraordinarily helpful, even for those of us who would say you should do it on your own as you're the applicant - can you not see that in a way it's not helpful to you if you make it through and then feel completely out of your depth?

I'm glad you got the job and I hope you can do it, but as a former recruiter, I have to also stand by what others have said on here.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 1st Sep 11, 3:29 PM
    • 35,251 Posts
    • 22,248 Thanks
    DCFC79
    OP, I'm not being funny but what if we had all given you the answers, you'd popped them in and then you hadn't been selected - would you blame a random set of online strangers on a forum or yourself?

I think people have been extraordinarily helpful, even for those of us who would say you should do it on your own as you're the applicant - can you not see that in a way it's not helpful to you if you make it through and then feel completely out of your depth?

I'm glad you got the job and I hope you can do it, but as a former recruiter, I have to also stand by what others have said on here.
    Originally posted by smileylondongal
    lol you quoted me by mistake right,
  • smileylondongal
    lol you quoted me by mistake right,
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Sorry, I quoted you in support of your statement but should have made that clearer as you're clearly not the OP!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Sep 11, 6:05 PM
    • 35,251 Posts
    • 22,248 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Sorry, I quoted you in support of your statement but should have made that clearer as you're clearly not the OP!
    Originally posted by smileylondongal
    yes i understood what you were doing well i thought thats what you were trying to emphasis(sp?), thanks

OP good luck in the job,
    • bignred05
    • By bignred05 13th Sep 11, 9:23 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    bignred05
    Thanks for all the help, Not!

I have been offered the job, so it looks like my answers were ok.
    Originally posted by JoeLowe
    can you (or any one else) offer any advice on what the interview was like ??

was it a group one or was it 1 to 1
    anything else would be appreciated
    the wife's got an interview on Friday

Thanks
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 13th Sep 11, 10:19 PM
    • 5,818 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    hcb42
    But what about if you were one of the umpteen customers in the ever-growing queue?

As checkout operator you are serving ALL of those customers, not just the one in front of you. You need to decide what action is best over all and keeps as many customers as happy as possible.
    Originally posted by SueC

If it were me, and I was told I had to pay then queue up to claim some money back there would be a strongly worded complaint letter going to HO next day. Or I would leave the product there and refuse to pay for it. If I was feeling particularly challenging I would leave the whole basket!

Then again I dont shop in tesco. I believe the OP answered that one correctly personally. It is down to the checkout person to serve properly and the floor manager to queue manage, which is a science as much as an art.
    • SueC
    • By SueC 14th Sep 11, 8:10 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    SueC
    If it were me, and I was told I had to pay then queue up to claim some money back there would be a strongly worded complaint letter going to HO next day. Or I would leave the product there and refuse to pay for it. If I was feeling particularly challenging I would leave the whole basket!
    Originally posted by hcb42
    But that's my point!

In the scenario where you walk away, Tesco has one unhappy customer. In the scenario where the checkout operator keeps you at the till for an age while the problem is resolved, Tesco have x number of unhappy customers (in the queue behind you).

Agreed, ideally there would be no unhappy customers, but this is the real world we're discussing.
  • seeker3
    my opinion
    Am not trying to prove anybody right or wrong. am just an ordinary thinker who happens to be astonished by this discussion. my concerns are:

1. i dont think its fair for a customer to go over to cs and wait for refund again after waiting in the queue and what about spending a double time serving a customer where it could be avoided. i think its costly

2. if many customers happened to have picked same item, all of them would be referred to the cs as well. i wonder how reasonable that quality of service is.

In all am saying, with a long queue, i think its better to sort the price issue so that u dont build the queue at the cs all in the name of whatever.
  • Evilm
    Or I would leave the product there and refuse to pay for it..
    Originally posted by hcb42
    Depending on the value of the product you would then have had to wait for a manager to override the void. At another supermarket the void amount over the Christmas period was £3.50 before a manager had to be called.

(This annoyed people twice as much as the fact it had the wrong price to start with btw.)

More often than not when I saw something pop up at normal price not sale price I would continue scanning but explain to the customer I was calling for a price override. The team were pretty good so usually as long as there were a few items left it to scan it wouldn't hold the customer up long. (I expect this doesn't fit in with Tesco's policies though.)
  • QuackQuack
    I am trying to apply for a job at Tescos, but am unable to get past the screening questions. Could anyone help?
    Originally posted by JoeLowe
    Hate to be brutal, but if you don't know how to answer these, then perhaps you're not the right person fora job in Tesco? They are screening questions for a reason after all.
  • JVB
    applying at tesco
    How could i find an application for the cs post at tesco? Enquired at tesco,they said they publish it online but haven't found one yet.could someone please help replying! thanks!
    • davie24
    • By davie24 19th Dec 11, 3:11 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    davie24
    Recruitment website.
    http://www.tesco-careers.com
  • Polak
    You are cleaning up spilt yoghurt that, if left, could be dangerous for customers. A customer asks you to help them to take their shopping to the checkout.

Answer A: Tell the customer that you cannot help them because if the spilt yoghurt is not cleaned up it could cause an accident.
    Answer B: Ask the customer to wait while you find someone else to finish cleaning up the spilt yoghurt so that you can assist the customer.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you would be happy to help them with their shopping once you have finished cleaning up the spilt yoghurt. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

I dunno about this surely if you go to find someone else to clean it then in the mean time a customer might slip on it. I also have tried the application a few times and not passed it. I think a lot of the questions could more than one answer, it is stupid.

*Question 16
    You are working at the checkout and have a queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Answer A: Continue scanning the rest of the customerís shopping as you have other customers waiting.
    Answer B: Finish the sale but tell the customer that if they speak to Customer Services they can be refunded the amount that they were owed.
    Answer C: Apologise to the queue of waiting customers and alert your line manager to correct the price of the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

Again here the Joe said he answered C but in the question it says the line manager is busy so I think B would be better. Well he says he got the job anyway [or she]

*Question 17
    You are shopping on behalf of a customer that has ordered online. One member of your team is away so you are busier than normal. You only have a short time before the order is due to be loaded in to the van. As you are about to take the order to the van a customer approaches you with a question about returning an item.

Answer A: Put the order safely to one side and walk with the customer to where the return can be made.
    Answer B: Tell the customer where returns can be made and that a colleague will be able to help them.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you are not able to assist with returned items and that they should find a manager. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

Does it make sense to go with them if you have to hurry up and get your order done. Is it not more sensible to tell them where they need to go? Apparently Joe got the job by answering A but it seems like that is not really the best option here.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Jul 12, 4:30 PM
    • 35,251 Posts
    • 22,248 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You are cleaning up spilt yoghurt that, if left, could be dangerous for customers. A customer asks you to help them to take their shopping to the checkout.

I dunno about this surely if you go to find someone else to clean it then in the mean time a customer might slip on it. I also have tried the application a few times and not passed it. I think a lot of the questions could more than one answer, it is stupid.

*Question 16
    You are working at the checkout and have a queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Answer A: Continue scanning the rest of the customer’s shopping as you have other customers waiting.

Again here the Joe said he answered C but in the question it says the line manager is busy so I think B would be better. Well he says he got the job anyway [or she]

*Question 17

Does it make sense to go with them if you have to hurry up and get your order done. Is it not more sensible to tell them where they need to go? Apparently Joe got the job by answering A but it seems like that is not really the best option here.
    Originally posted by Polak
    Is there a point to your post whilst dragging up an old thread.

first question is A

question 16 is B

question 17 would be either A or B as it depends how far away you have to go to the customer service desk, we're told to take the customer to the product but if its something I cant answer then I pass them over to another colleague from the relevant dept, ill make myself a badge saying "I don't stock the dam shelves and my handset doesn'tgive prices"
    Last edited by DCFC79; 17-07-2012 at 4:37 PM.
    • CCFC_80
    • By CCFC_80 17th Jul 12, 9:02 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    CCFC_80
    I don't know all these screening questions they ask you. I can remember a few years ago Tesco's would have had to literally kidnap you off the street to come and work for them
  • Polak
    Well different times now. Way more competition and people than there are jobs in this country. I failed the screening again by the way. I have done just about all the combinations now [except for the obvious questions that I give the same reply to]. I feel so dirty trying so hard to get a job at Tesco I mean, it's just Tesco. Yet as a student I really need a job right and I'm upset since the one I just applied to was the closest Tesco to me [15 minute walk away].
  • fleesaurus
    Unfair to applicants who apply without outside help.
  • Butterfly1919
    JoeLowe did you get through the screening in the end? I am in the situation you were, and have been rejected twice. Am starting to thing I must be really thick!!!
  • Pablos544
    Tesco's Screening questions
    Ha I couldn't work out what to say to this, and I didn't get the job, don't know if this is the reason I didn't get the job:

Question 2: You have been serving at the checkout during your shift. It has been a quiet morning and the store has not had many customers. There is no customers waiting to be served at your checkout. A customer on the checkout next to you is struggling to pack their shopping.

Answer A: Leave your checkout and help the customer to pack their shopping
    Answer B: Find a colleague to help the customer to pack their shopping
    Answer C: Take the opportunity to have your break while there are no customers to serve

I answered A, but sounds like this may be bad,

There is another,

Question 3: You are refilling shelves when you notice a customer putting products in a bag that they are carrying rather than in a bag that they are carrying rather than a basket or a trolley. The customer could be intending to pay for the products at the checkout but you are unsure.

Answer A: Do not approach the customer and assume that they will pay for the items when they get to the checkout
    Answer B: Go and tell a colleague what the customer is doing and that you think they are shoplifting
    Answer C: Make the customer aware of the staff presence in the store by approaching them and asking if they would like any help.

I answered C to this, seems right but now I didn't get any job I am starting to feel insecure.

another not too sure:
    Question 4: You are just about to go on your lunch break. A customer asks you to help them with their shopping. Helping the customer will mean taking a shorter lunch break.

Answer A: Quickly tell the customer where the main products are and go on to take your lunch break.
    Answer B: Help the customer with their shopping and ask your manager if the time of your lunch hour can be changed to later because you were helping a customer.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that they should find another member of staff to help as you are about to take your lunch break.

I answered B, but now that I didn't get the job I again am feeling insecure.
  • Storm123
    To all those who think any answers in the options may apply, if you spend time on thinking upon them then NO they don't AT ALL apply. I agree with all answers of pawsies on the FIRST PAGE of this post except her answers to Questions 1, 6 and 16. My answers to those questions would be:

Question 1. A

Option B is blunt and outright rude to your Manager, and you always need to have a CAN-DO attitude as you will be taught about any job role. If you don't, not only will you be kicked out of TESCO but any type of job.

Option C means that section of shelves will be left EMPTY! Do you expect TESCO to be okay with the shelves of the store left EMPTY while the stock is PRESENT and it was supposed to be FILLED as part of your duty on the day, and the CUSTOMERS who come looking for the items find the shelves EMPTY? TESCO the business and company suffers a loss in its sale.

That is why Option A seems to be the answer for me as that is the catch. If you notice, that is why they even stress in option A, and ask if a colleague can finish refilling the section, while you take your break.

Question 6. A

Why not C? Again the CAN-DO attitude and not the CANNOT-DO attitude.

Question 16. A

Why not C? Again the catch is in the question, "The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query."

Do you distract the line manager away from a Customer he is already dealing with so that Customer is ignored now and this one is not? Instead, you can be handling BOTH Customers at same time with option A, i.e. you CONTINUE scanning rest of the customer's shopping instead of wasting time waiting for line manager to be done. REMEMBER option A does not say you FINISH and send that Customer home as Option B says, but rather gives the idea you don't stand there doing nothing wasting time, nor disturb another Customer from being dealt with, but CONTINUE with rest of scanning and in that time it is very well possible the Line Manager is DONE with handling the other Customer's query. THEN you can bring the matter to attention of the Line Manager once he is done. This limits the delay and annoyance for the long que, and every Customer has been attended to.

If you pay attention to all other questions and their answers, all of them have a catch in them the same way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,086Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter