Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    stormchild
    provident agents [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
    • 14th Apr 11, 10:15 PM
    provident agents [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] 14th Apr 11 at 10:15 PM
    Hi, I'm 'self employed' as an agent with provident. In the current financial climate there are quite a few customers struggling with their debts but we the 'AGENTS' are essentially subsidising the company. They have brought in a new policy where if a customer falls behind in payments they are penalising us upto 15 depending on the state of their account. As of today I stand to lose 50 this week as I know these customers cannot pay the amounts being asked for. There are lots of people visiting C.A.B and entering Iva's debt management etc which are outwith our control yet they see fit to still go ahead with this draconian measure. Lots of people are unhappy with this and we appear to be helpless and unable to stop this. Does anyone have any advice they could possibly give?
    Last edited by MSE Investigator; 11-05-2011 at 3:22 PM. Reason: Pending Investigation
Page 3
  • Angry Norfolk
    Facebook.
    Im a Provi Agent too. Im discusted with the latest twist from the company. How about someone starting a Facebook page to encourage ALL agents, Provi and Greenwoods to all go ill for a week at the same time. Im sure the customers would spread the word to agents. The threat of this and the massive amount of lost revenue will have the bosses quaking in their shiny boots. You know how the DMs are always pushing for more sales and collections. It would worry them no end. Just imagine, no money coming in for a week!!! I dont know how to do this on facebook but if someone out there could do it, im sure it would put the point across. Thanks Jane.
  • YOUR A JOKE PROVI
    Provident v Greenwoods
    i have got a provident loan and a greenwood loan...we had bad credit but a good income...then due to a tax credit balls up we had to reduce our payment so we had an arrangemnt with the prov and green manager that we would pay a nominal amount for the future untill situation improved

my provident agent told me about the new charge on friday and told me her manager told her to tell the customers to pay provident and not greenwood so they wouldnt be charged
    Originally posted by tea690
    Thanks for that
  • Highlandbhoy
    There are a few points in your initial posting that you either: Never listened at your launch, never attended or simply do not have the ability to understand the new scheme.
    Firstly to run in conjunction with this change, you were offered a better, enhanced opportunity to earn EXTRA COMMISSION,: Complaining ?? - Didn't think so !!!
    Secondly you mentioned CAB & IVA accounts: NEITHER of these cases will cost you the deduction - clearly missed this at the launch !!!
    Thirdly IF you do lose commission, you will have the opportunity to recoup all that you lose by doing what you signed up for, visiting and servicing customers on a regular weekly basis !!!
    Fourthly, there are a number of factors and reasons where you will not be deducted commission and I would suggest you find these out BEFORE you post Negative Points
    Finally, if you do remain aggrieved about these changes, then go back to your contract, which you clearly have signed, and action the part that allows you to resign, providing 7 days notice !!
    GOOD LUCK & GOODBYE
  • fedupagent1911
    In response to highland boy
    In response to your post
    I am sure that most agents do have the "ability" to understand . The posts on this site surely confirm this ?
    Just wondering are u a DM AM Or above ?
    To address your points
    firstly : Yes, we are offerd increased commision but due to nature of our business this will be much harder to acheive to improve cust accounts as we have no control over this
    secondly : IVA and Cab DO count YOU clearly missed this , this has been confirmed in our office on severaly occasions that you are still charged !!
    Thirdly : as before very difficlult to get cust back on track after circumstances happen beyond their and our control ie loss of job , reduction of benefits, marriage sepearation etc
    Fourthly:the only factor we will not be deducted commision is by maintaing or improving arrears, which is extremly difficult or when customer is deceased !!
    We are already losing commision when they go into arrears on ABC system, down to 6% ,so now we are being penalised twice !!

And finally .... check our contracts ?? Basically thats saying if you dont like it just resign , not so easy for a lot us ,agents actually care about their customers !!
    Look forward to seeing your response when this new system reaches your level and you are losing wages !! As I am sure if it proves profitable for the company they will look at extending it to other roles !!
    Happy collecting !
    Last edited by fedupagent1911; 24-04-2011 at 8:54 PM.
  • Highlandbhoy
    No fudupagent, like you I'm an agent working in a way that suits me, with customers that like me but having done it for many years and gone through many changes, I understand why the company has done this and agree with the way my DM now works with me in the same direction. The CAB and IVA is not how I understand it. On the subject of deceased, (your 4th point) how can you lose commission if the account cannot be paid ?? This just means you don't earn commission !!
    I think I understand the system and having lost through IQ in the past, its no greater penalty than then.
    I enjoy what I do, I like my customers and the flexibility but I'm also fed up hearing negatives when I meet other Agents, let's give it time and work together
    GOOD LUCK
  • YOUR A JOKE PROVI
    in response to highland boy
    Firstly well said fedupagent - As for you Highland Boy, I suggest you go back to the Highlands because you clearly do not have any comprehension how upset agent are. I am particularly offended by you box standard answer of 'if you dont like it leave' this just highlights how little we are thought of, I have worked dam hard for this Company for the past 5 years, building up a round and forming good relationships with my Customers. What you need to remember is agents form the front line " happy work force" = success, there was no reason to bring in this new policy except pure greed. Just for the record I have handed in my notice and had it not been for my acceptional manager I would have just walked. My leaving thought to you ITS A DANGEROUS GAME TO. UNDER-ESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR AGENTS
  • Angry Norfolk
    Its all about greed. The company made 145million profits in 2010, paid 85million to shareholders, and its boss, the unfortunately named Peter Crook, trousered 1.3million - an 82% pay rise on the previous year. Revenues are up, profits are up, ­dividends are up - and the board of ­directors have shared a 69% pay rise. They just want to sqeeze more from the Agents to fill their own pockets, otherwise 145 million would be enough!!!!!!
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 23rd Apr 11, 3:14 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    stuart30
    Well said Hammyman. The Provident are a bunch of blood-sucking parasites who prey on the hard-up. Whilst I realise that the agents need paying commission, interest rates are higher than my local money lender.
    Originally posted by patman99
    But that's no different too my mortgage lender...Northern rock and there 100% lending.

They even made part of the mortgage up with unsecured loan just too get us too sign.

No wonder they went tits up...so its not just the Provi who take higher risk customers.

And has been said no one is forced too contact them and ask for a loan...they dont come too you,you go too them.

And no ive never had nor will have a loan from them..lol
  • teamspirit
    To say things like if you dont like it then leave is not very constructive really. I also remember the I.Q system and how unfair that was for penalising agents for situations out of their control and this seems to be the same. I do not agree with this new system but im working hard at trying to minimize my losses. Ive thought about this alot over the last couple of weeks as it is worrying me because I cannot afford big fluctuations in my commission. To try to sell it to agents as a way of gaining extra commission to me seems false. If you were to manage to get all your customers back into quality then yes you would gain. But we all know that is not possible. But I agree you can get some back. Any new customers that appear on your book that go 'bad' you can only lose on. yes you may get some of these back ino quality but you will only be getting back what you already lost on these accounts. And as we all know a percentage will always go bad, especially if you are an agent that grows their book. So the way I see it, you may get a short term gain but in the long run can only lose. We all do our job to the best of our ability and no one likes to lose money unfairly. Im sure if provident reduced annual leave, introduced salary cuts, reduced expenses or any measures like these there would be afew managers not happy either. We are entitled to voice our opinion and im trying to see the positives in this but im afraid i cant seem to. plus we didnt even have a launch!
  • YOUR A JOKE PROVI
    Which clever !!!! decided to impliment this new policy 2 weeks before Easter!?!?! - We have 2 bank holidays back to back and we all know what that means dont we? Well done Provident another well thought out decision!!!!!!!
    • scooby088
    • By scooby088 23rd Apr 11, 7:30 PM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    scooby088
    To all provident agents why don't you jump !!!! and join shopacheck i don't think they penalise you for customers in arrears, but then again they take money off you for other reasons.
    • Zoetoes
    • By Zoetoes 23rd Apr 11, 7:32 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Zoetoes
    I took a provvy loan out in desperation Christmas 2009 as I was struggling.

We agreed the amount, rates, collection days around work etc and the day I would get the loan.

Then she came a few days later than she should have with the cash and told me that I couldn't have the terms we had originally agreed on so there would be more interest, it was then too late to try Greenwoods etc so I just took it still.

Well she was a pain in the @rse from day 1, didn't stick to the days and times for collection, she would call before I got home from work (she knew I worked till 5) and then she'd ring me because I wasn't in! So nearly always I had to arrange to be in at such a time to fit in with her (not fit in with the customer??).

In the end I stopped being in to suit her, I was home for the times we'd originally agreed and if she t!tted about she didn't get the money that week and I eventually stopped keeping it until the following week.

Obviously I ended up in arrears and she still wouldn't stick to the days/times so I just stopped paying her. I asked if I could pay through the bank, direct debit, or online etc but was told home collection only, so to this day I still owe the prov.

I will never use Provident again, the customer service was appalling.
    If you're going to stalk me, while you're at it can you cut the grass, feed the dog & make sure I've got bread & milk in
    • fluffy70
    • By fluffy70 23rd Apr 11, 10:52 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    fluffy70
    Im a Provi Agent too. Im discusted with the latest twist from the company. How about someone starting a Facebook page to encourage ALL agents, Provi and Greenwoods to all go ill for a week at the same time. Im sure the customers would spread the word to agents. The threat of this and the massive amount of lost revenue will have the bosses quaking in their shiny boots. You know how the DMs are always pushing for more sales and collections. It would worry them no end. Just imagine, no money coming in for a week!!! I dont know how to do this on facebook but if someone out there could do it, im sure it would put the point across. Thanks Jane.
    Originally posted by Angry Norfolk
    nice idea to stop the money coming into Provident's books for a week..... BUT... my husband is an agent too, if he goes sick for a week he doesn't get paid. All he brings home each week is roughly 100.... when the agents in his office were given the spin about this new plan, they all only heard the spiel about how they could make cash from certain things... only HE realised it was a con! As a result his manager has given him a 4 week 'reprieve' against this charging to give him a chance to get the round up. Surely this is an indication that the powers that be KNOW it's a con and vaguely illegal. Unfortunately as all agents are self employed and disposable, the agents have to toe the line to a certain extent and get out there collecting even when sick as a dog because they know that no collection = no commission. My husband's so called deputy agent is useless and when we got married he even had to do his round 2 days later. Not even a long weekend for us as a married couple!
  • YOUR A JOKE PROVI
    I took a provvy loan out in desperation Christmas 2009 as I was struggling.

We agreed the amount, rates, collection days around work etc and the day I would get the loan.

Then she came a few days later than she should have with the cash and told me that I couldn't have the terms we had originally agreed on so there would be more interest, it was then too late to try Greenwoods etc so I just took it still.

Well she was a pain in the @rse from day 1, didn't stick to the days and times for collection, she would call before I got home from work (she knew I worked till 5) and then she'd ring me because I wasn't in! So nearly always I had to arrange to be in at such a time to fit in with her (not fit in with the customer??).

In the end I stopped being in to suit her, I was home for the times we'd originally agreed and if she t!tted about she didn't get the money that week and I eventually stopped keeping it until the following week.

Obviously I ended up in arrears and she still wouldn't stick to the days/times so I just stopped paying her. I asked if I could pay through the bank, direct debit, or online etc but was told home collection only, so to this day I still owe the prov.

I will never use Provident again, the customer service was appalling.
    Originally posted by Zoetoes
    Really sorry you had bad experience with your agent, however not paying your debt is not the answer, perhaps thats the reason you had to come to us in the first place???
  • shaftedbyprovi
    There are a few points in your initial posting that you either: Never listened at your launch, never attended or simply do not have the ability to understand the new scheme.
    Firstly to run in conjunction with this change, you were offered a better, enhanced opportunity to earn EXTRA COMMISSION,: Complaining ?? - Didn't think so !!!
    Secondly you mentioned CAB & IVA accounts: NEITHER of these cases will cost you the deduction - clearly missed this at the launch !!!
    Thirdly IF you do lose commission, you will have the opportunity to recoup all that you lose by doing what you signed up for, visiting and servicing customers on a regular weekly basis !!!
    Fourthly, there are a number of factors and reasons where you will not be deducted commission and I would suggest you find these out BEFORE you post Negative Points
    Finally, if you do remain aggrieved about these changes, then go back to your contract, which you clearly have signed, and action the part that allows you to resign, providing 7 days notice !!
    GOOD LUCK & GOODBYE
    Originally posted by Highlandbhoy
    clearly you are a manager of some sort with provident! LAUNCH what launch? read a few paragraphs on dm computer, they point out all the good points (joke) and say only bad one is you lose money if yiou dont/wont threaten customers. to quote you 'enhanced commission' you mean they wont fine you anymore for paper work mistekes or if a cust has gone twenty weeks without paying. i still have freinds at prov who tell me what hoes on. they are so _i$$ed of with them. why dont the lazy am/rom get of there !!!!! and go call on these people. I worked for provident for a while then saw the light. my office manager is out calling on people right up to a year after they have not paid. this company are serious about its business and not trying to fine an agent for there own failings. there are lots of jobs out there for this kind of work, you dont have to stay with them. lots of company will take you and there is nothing to stop yopu taking your good cust over with you. 7 days notice! remember you work as self employed and cannot be held to contract.
    Last edited by shaftedbyprovi; 24-04-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: add further comment
  • Hammyman
    agents actually care about their customers !!
    Originally posted by fedupagent1911
    Indeed. Got to keep them friendly so they'll sign up to top-ups without question thus ending up paying 75% OR MORE interest on some of their earlier loans.

There's a real sense of ironic justice in the Provi screwing over the agents who are screwing over their customers.
  • YOUR A JOKE PROVI
    I really agree with your points relating to the high interest charged, however you have to remember that customers approach us for loans not the other way round, I cannot speak for other agents but i can promise you that i have never ever pushed a loan onto any of my customers in fact i actively try to discourage them from 'topping up'. Lets be frank here customers come to us for one reason only and that is because they cannot get credit through the normal channels and can only speculate as to what those reasons might be. Provi are highway robbers thats for sure but they do offer a service to high risk customers and obviously that comes at a price. Please dont keep bad mouthing the agents because we are only trying to earn a living, we dont set the rules and i think you'd be suprised by how many compasionate agents are out there.
  • jesp74
    I've just seen this comment on the Daily Mirror article.
    Colin Alleway said:
    Agents in my branch earned on average 17% more this week on the new commission scheme.
    I say:
    Some agents in my office got paid 15 bonus, for a brand new customer who has yet to pay, that being so they can take it back off them when the penalties kick in.
    I wonder if they gave the 15, so it would make the scheme/office figures, better that they actually are.
  • stormchild
    just back from weekend away to find the comments from highlandbhuoy really offensive to any hard working agents. the 'launch was terrible not even done by area managers (i have spoken to agents from several offices and all the same). We do have the ability to understand the scheme provident has put in place and know that we are being ripped off. I really doubt you are an agent as you too would be outraged as no-one i have spoken to thinks this is a good idea. royal wedding this week what would you suggest we do? Maybe we could attend the street party thats been arranged and see if we can pick up some new customers lol, said with my tongue firmly in cheek! Think our commission is going to be right down this week due to wedding so at least we wont have to try too hard to stop managers bonus this week haha.
  • firebladechick
    Ive been an agent for the last 10 years and im disgusted at the way we have been treated, to have the privilage of losing 10 for being told "sorry cant pay you this week" is a joke. I stand to loose 110 this week and i knew id lost 30 before id even left the house as three customers have been put on a reduced rate so wont get what theyre asking for!!! As for my contract there is nothing to say they can change the way they pay us commission but after speaking to Trading standards, FSA,CAB,ACAS ive hit a brick wall and dont know where to turn anymore, the best i got was write to the company to air your grievence....... that will be a waste of time it will either be put in the bin or be filed und A for Annoying Agent!!!!!!! As a single parent the little i earn each week is essential but to loose this amount of money is a killer basically im working for nothing, myself and a few agents from our office have demanded a meeting with our AM wether this comes off who knows???? i think an email to watchdog is next on my list!!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,110Posts Today

7,952Users online

Martin's Twitter