AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have an older car, over 20 years, not many will cover cars over 10 years.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Yep, my AutoAid premium has gone up 38% from £43.31 to £58.99 and I've never called upon them once in many years. After reading one or two unfavourable reviews on the AutoAid roadside service I'm going to give Green Flag Recovery+ a go at £51.52.
  • Jakerrs
    Jakerrs Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does anyone know of other companies that will cover two people, one with a vehicle that is 15 years old and the other with a vehicle that is 17 years old, for less than £30 each?

I know with AutoAid the service really depends on which local company they call out, but I'm only really interested in a tow home and the company they used last time were fantastic.
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I've just had my renewal through for Auto Aid and as per everyone else it's increased, mine to £59.99.

I've had a look at Green Flag, who charge 60.48 for the Recovery Plus and with £10 Quidco cash back it looks inviting. However, add on the policy holder in any other vehicle and that's an extra £33.60. So now its less attractive.

I've used Auto Aid a few times and had great service. Scrolling back on here there appears to be a lot of very new posters (ie one or two posts) totally slagging off Auto Aid. Hmmm.....

My policy isn't due for renewal for another month so I'll look around a little longer I think unless anyone has any GF codes or knows how I can get the price down to be comparable to AA?
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • Disappointing that they’ve increased 38.5% in just one year! What’s the justification for that? I came here expecting to find a cheaper alternative, but was instead surprised to find them still “best value”. Looks like we’ll have to bight the bullet and renew. As to those suggesting Green Flag as an alternative, it doesn’t look much cheaper to me. I used them in my younger days when they were the only sensibly priced alternative to the big two, but I seem to remember something happened that made me stop using them (can’t remember what, I’m getting old!).
  • derrick wrote: »
    I have an older car, over 20 years, not many will cover cars over 10 years.

AA and RAC will with personal membership. With RAC you can pay with Tesco vouchers at a third of the price making it cheaper than AutoAid assuming you have enough vouchers.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 November 2019 at 1:56PM
    AA and RAC will with personal membership. With RAC you can pay with Tesco vouchers at a third of the price making it cheaper than AutoAid assuming you have enough vouchers.

Or assuming one has Tesco vouchers at all , I don't use Tesco.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As others have said if you shop around it comes down to who is the better value, with 2 cars Autoaid is the better buy for me.
    If you scroll down their sister company offer roadside cover for £34 if you just want basic cover, read the T&C's though, may not be for everyone. It wasn't for me as it only covers the one car.

Reluctantly I renewed with Autoaid this year @£59.99
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Any one come across 'start rescue' they are charging circa £37 for what appears to be a decent package. They differ from Autoaid in as much the car not the person is covered, although for an additional fee the person can also be covered.

Just wondered whether peeps have any insight into the company?
  • Ricky43
    Ricky43 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I note that AutoAid has gone up in price and my renewal is due next month. For me though with 3 cars in the family - 1 over 20 years old and it covers me and husband driving any car I think it is still good value.
    Used it once this year when I was daft enough to leave the internal lights on and I had a flat battery. Yes I did have leads but couldn't find anyone at 8 a.m in a cul de sac in Manchester where I was staying on a Sunday morning who appeared to be up!! AutoAid were out in 15 mins so I was thrilled as I could then head my way to a conference I was attending.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback