PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Reasons for selling?

We are wanting to sell up our lovely shrinking home, but what do I say to people viewing our house when they ask why we are moving? I am not very good at lying but I don't want to make our house sound bad, the real reason is we want more space :-/

Also do people expect you to leave carpets & curtains or is that negotiated after, do they offer a price for them?

moving mini

Comments

• Best thing is to be honest - although you don't have to give reasons for selling. If you are moving some distance and you don't want to say too much, you could always say you are going to be nearer to family etc...

If you are moving to get away from bad neighbours however, or other known problems - you have to declare this on the forms the solicitor will send you - or risk being sued later on.

Most people leave carpets behind. But if you want to take them, or anything else for that matter - just make it clear from the outset. You do get a form to fill out later on once proceedings are well under way, upon which you stipulate exactly what you are taking/leaving. But be clear from the outset what is not included - or if you are initially undecided about an item.

Don't forget things like lights - if you have splashed out on some nice ones, or bathroom cabinets (some of which I saw in Homebase the other day for £99!!!)

If you think you'll have to buy it all again at the new house and money may be tight - take it with you. Remember to reflect it in the selling price somewhat - but most especially if you are taking a lot of stuff - like ALL the fixtures/fittings and the cooker and suchlike.
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cheers Ice, we will be moving somewhere which is about 50 metres closer to family than we are now, that will do for me ;D

I am happy to leave everything, my youngest mini is upset about leaving her curtains she wants to take EVERYTHING from her room (including wallaper) ::)
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When I was moving to this house the vendors were out to squeeze every extra penny they could from me & charged me handsomely for the curtains, poles & rails & also the fitted wardrobes in my bedroom. ???

I'd like to have been able to say no thanks, but had already been gazumped by a pretty hefty amount & just couldn't face the whole process of house hunting again & possibly losing the buyer of my house. So I reluctantly paid up. :'(

It's always been my policy to include the curtains, carpets etc. in the house sale. Curtains made to fit the windows of one house are rarely going to fit the windows or suit the decor of the new house. I'd never dream of charging extra for fitted furniture either!
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    be honest, be clear about what your leaving behind in the fixtures and fittings and make sure the details on the estate agents leaflet state clearly what is and what isnt being left.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport