Started new job but haven't received P45 from previous employer

2»

Comments

• My OH filled in a p46 when he started work,and when he got paid the following week his tax was spot on.Waited weeks for his p45 to come through.
  • I would also advise handing in your P45 as soon as you get it even after handing in a P46. The employer will use a P46 to establish the best code to use but this won't take into account your previous pay and tax figures. P46 will be submitted to HMRC so they know about your commencement but they can only issue the correct code when your old employer has submitted P45 leaver figures and if you have a gap in employment HMRC may want to write to u and it takes too much time. Submit your P45 so you know you are in control of your tax affairs :-) your employer won't just file it away, they will have to submit the figures and then it all marries up and everyone is happy.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    the employee may never get a p45 to hand in.

The old employer sets up 3 P45 nowadays.

1 to keep
    1 to the employee
    1 to the HMRC
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2013 at 7:27PM
    annie1975 wrote: »
    My OH filled in a p46 when he started work,and when he got paid the following week his tax was spot on.Waited weeks for his p45 to come through.

If you are on the standard tax code for the tax year (810L in this case), then it can well be spot on. Any other tax codes and it will never be spot on.

Even the standard tax code can have problems if you end up with 2 payments in the one month - one from the old employer and one from the new employer. This will mean an underpayment if both have used the standard tax code.
    I would also advise handing in your P45 as soon as you get it even after handing in a P46.

Yes the P45 should always be handed into the new employer even after a P46 has been completed. HMRC issue guidance for this.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/employees/start-leave/new-employee-latep45.htm
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That is a very good point Geek.

I always knew that the P46 was used when new people could not produce a P45 - this could be for several reasons - but learned recently that some employers don't wait for the P45 to arrive: they use a P46 instead.

I also thought the same as geek84 but have been correctly informed as per this thread.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    McKneff wrote: »
    Pointless handing it over to the employer, the employer would just send it to the HMRC, that too would be pointless because the HMRC would have already received a copy of the same P45 from the old employer.

See what I mean.

Talking from experience of actually doing the payroll, I take P46 and if I get P45 in the same tax year input that into the system and the tax sorts itself out.
    You don't send anything to HMRC nowadays, you go online.
    Despite that updating people's tax codes automatically if old employer submitted their part still takes ages.
    Best way-P46 and then P45 when available.

Geek- your understanding is pretty much spot on-only P46 can be also used instead of P45, not only as a bridging period. For example when student starts- they wouldn't have P45 if they didn't work, or woman after maternity leave...

By the way did you find job in finance you were looking for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure