Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Drea
    Support Each Other In Looking For Work?
    • 14th Jan 11, 3:25 PM
    Support Each Other In Looking For Work? 14th Jan 11 at 3:25 PM
    Hey,

I fully expected to already find a thread like this here and wanted to join in but haven't seemed to find one (if I'm wrong please let me know).

There are debt free diaries, there's a big daily OS thread, why not have one for those of us looking for work? It can be demoralising and I figure it might help to keep us going.

I've only been looking a couple days but so far have joined a couple of agencies (not that I hold out much hope with them), applied for around 15 jobs and even had my first proper interview this morning! I think it went well and I hope to get the job, it sounded perfect for me.

Now I'm sat here half way through an online application form not quite finding the motivation to finish it... I'll get there

Interview Question Ideas:

Questions to Ask:

• Why has this vacancy arisen?
    • How do you review performance?
    • How was the job handled in the past?
    • What would you expect of me in the first six months?
    • What do you see as my key long-term challenges?
    • What is the expected career path for this position?
    • Do you expect me to develop new expertise in any areas?
    • What are the characteristics of successful people in this firm?
    • Where would I fit into the overall structure?
    • Will anyone report into me?
    • Who would I report to and what is the line of authority?
    • Is any training required as part of this job?
    • What are the opportunities for advancement/promotion?
    • What is the firm’s long-term strategy?
    • Is the firm looking to expand into new areas?
    • What is the largest challenge facing the firm at the moment?
    • How would you describe the firm’s values?
    • Is there likely to be any relocation in the future?

Questions you might be asked:

Questions where you can sell yourself

Tell me about yourself.

• Why do you want this job?
    • What would you expect to accomplish here?
    • Where do you want to be in five years time?
    • Do you consider yourself to be a natural leader?
    • What attracts you to this role?
    • What does success mean to you?
    • What are your career aspirations?
    • What have been your major accomplishments?
    • How would members of your team describe you?
    • What really motivates you?
    • What special skills do you have?
    • What is your greatest strength?
    • What do you do on your days off?

Questions where the interviewer is seeking informative answers:

• What do you know about this firm?
    • What is a typical week’s work in your current job?
    • Describe your greatest challenge so far.
    • What are you looking for in your next job?
    • How long have you been looking for another position?
    • Why do you want to work for this firm?
    • What can we offer that your current firm cannot?
    • Do you deal with any of your firm’s top 10 clients?
    • How do you determine priorities?
    • Why should I hire you?
    • How do you handle criticism?
    • What makes a good manager?
    • How do you run a meeting?

Questions where you may need to turn a negative into a positive:

• Why do you want to leave your current employer?
    • What has been your greatest challenge in business so far?
    • What are your key strengths or weaknesses?
    • What thing irritates you most in the workplace?
    • Describe your toughest client.
    • How do you work under pressure?
    • Describer a difficult work situation and how you managed it.
    • What do you dislike about your current role?
    • Which tasks don’t you like to do?
    • Is there anyone in your current organisation you really don’t get on with?
    • Do you make your opinions known if you disagree with a more senior member of staff?
    • How do you feel about working weekends?
    • Why aren’t you earning more at this stage of your career?
    • Why were you made redundant/fired?

Blue-sky questions

• What would you do if you won the lottery?
    • If you became Prime Minister what would be the first thing you’d change?
    • What do you think of me as an interviewer?
    • If you had to move to another industry, which would you choose?
    Last edited by Drea; 14-03-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
Page 241
  • patchi
    2 interviews on the cards, already had one this weekend and 3 days bank work at a nursery *fingers crossed*
  • falko89
    2 interviews on the cards, already had one this weekend and 3 days bank work at a nursery *fingers crossed*
    Originally posted by patchi
    Good luck
  • JamesK10
    They all replied with the usual we'll keep it on file, the thing is I have never saw any of these companies hiring and i've watched them for years.
    Originally posted by falko89
    Absolutely, I never set much store by it but the speed that this retailer responded to me clearly implies to me that they'd seen me on file from before, otherwise why be that keen from just a standard trawl for Xmas temps? This example is the only one though, I'll give you that.
    • darwins_mum
    • By darwins_mum 22nd Feb 12, 8:26 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    darwins_mum
    Evening all, how is everyone doing? Another 130 mile round trip today, and got the no vote again! I must stop having interviews on Wednesday, it really does me no good!
    Back to trawling the jobsites tomorrow.
    DM
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2015 48.58/200
  • JamesK10
    Just hope you got some expenses from someone for those crazy trips, darwins_mum.

Three and a half hours ago I started to fill out an app, it was one of those where Jobsite sends you to the actual company that posted the ad and they had some automated CV scanner...that I then spent three hours sorting out and correcting. Apart from one other spec app, that wore me out, I'll get back to the rest tomorrow.

Deep down I don't mind that sort of app as long as you get to print and copy and paste it to Word afterwards, then it's all backed up whenever you need to do it all over again, and from my most up to date CV as well.
    • darwins_mum
    • By darwins_mum 24th Feb 12, 7:34 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    darwins_mum
    JamesK10, DWP kindly paid my train fare and will do for any claimant that travels to interview in excess of 20 miles from home. It has been much appreciated as over the last couple of weeks I would have spent all of my JSA solely on travel exenses.
    On a more positive note, I have secured an interview for a job that I spent the best part of a week doing the application for. It is only an 80 mile round trip, so a mere hop away.

DM
  • esmerellda
    looking at ridiculously expensive houses on right move for no reason whatsoever
    Originally posted by lexilex
    Made me laugh as I do that when I can't think of something else to be doing. I went through a burst yesterday of sending every job I found online an application - pretty much regardless so long as it was in travelling distance...had a few auto rejections..but also had a initial phone interview this afternoon for one of those and find out on Monday if I get a full interview, so fingers crossed. Only a short term contract through an agency but better than nothing

I'm not quite sure how I'll fit in working around the kids - finding work to start after 9 and finish before 3 is a PITB so I've gone for 9-5 stuff and once I'm in will try negotiate hours around OH's shifts and kids. I just need to get out of the blooming house and thankfully the kids are old enough now to come home to an empty house on the odd occassion it's necessary. Hate the thought of it but needs and sanity must.

I gave up with signing on, as they really weren't helping with the job hunting, and I wasn't entitled to any income from doing it anyway as my OH works full time, so felt a little pointless. Only really did it to bump up the unemployment statistics and get my CV looked over (again pointless).
    LegalBeagles
    • darwins_mum
    • By darwins_mum 24th Feb 12, 8:40 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    darwins_mum
    Made me laugh as I do that when I can't think of something else to be doing. I went through a burst yesterday of sending every job I found online an application - pretty much regardless so long as it was in travelling distance...had a few auto rejections..but also had a initial phone interview this afternoon for one of those and find out on Monday if I get a full interview, so fingers crossed. Only a short term contract through an agency but better than nothing

I'm not quite sure how I'll fit in working around the kids - finding work to start after 9 and finish before 3 is a PITB so I've gone for 9-5 stuff and once I'm in will try negotiate hours around OH's shifts and kids. I just need to get out of the blooming house and thankfully the kids are old enough now to come home to an empty house on the odd occassion it's necessary. Hate the thought of it but needs and sanity must.

I gave up with signing on, as they really weren't helping with the job hunting, and I wasn't entitled to any income from doing it anyway as my OH works full time, so felt a little pointless. Only really did it to bump up the unemployment statistics and get my CV looked over (again pointless).
    Originally posted by esmerellda
    It might be an idea to keep up with your NI contributions
    DM
  • November5th
    Bump!!

I have a 2nd stage interview this afternoon with a big powerpoint presentation. Happy with the design and the ideas (it was a really wide open brief) but I seem to have left out the part where I actually talk through it and am going blank every time I do a test run with my partner. Uh oh...

Presenting is a real weakness for me, needs development. I don't know why it should be such a big deal, I am not shy, I just find it hard to stay on topic.
  • Drea
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=51600139#post51600139

Part two is here
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,507Posts Today

8,443Users online

Martin's Twitter