Who is liable for this crash

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    If I remember rightly didn't you say in earlier posts you spoke to him about your DD not being insured and offered to pay for the damage in the hope he wouldn't report the matter? Is this why his statement is relevant?

No I called him and said as she was not insured maybe we had better settle without the insurers being involved. I obviously hoped he would not report it but he did which he is entitled to do but saying she admitted liability is a lie and surely you should not lie to the police. When the policeman interviewed my daughter she told him about all our conversations with the other driver but her statement is short and just basically says she admits not being insured at the time of the accident although she was not aware of it at the time. She did not lie to the police! We are off to a solicitor this norning for advice that will not include abuse!
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Good memory!

So this was either admitting liability, or attempting blackmail! You choose!

She did not cause the accident nor did she try to blackmail anyone. Perhaps people on her could not be so abusive. Final post on this matter no matter what muck is not thrown.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    There was no abuse whatsoever in the post you quote. Though attempting "bribery" is more appropriate than "blackmail".

Why would she offer to pay his damages if she felt he was responsible for the accident if not to stop the offence of her driving uninsured being reported?
  • Olly1_2
    Options
    Rose, I am not having a go at you on here as can understand why you are sticking up for your daughter - you are a mother and thats your job - I am sure many others would do the same. I think however that some of the hostility has occured due to you implying in earlier threads that this was the insurance companies fault (they had cancelled her insurance) and not the fault of your daughter who really should have ensured her insurance was valid before getting in a car. Also you then said you suspected the other driver was drunk or on drugs etc again instead of just saying - yes, the other person caused the accident but your daughter should not have been on the road. I think its clear the accident appears to be the other drivers fault (from the information given on here) however this does not change the fact that your daughter was uninsured and yes, the other driver does probably feel angry about it - as I am sure most people would - he probably feels the accident was at least part your daughters fault (not saying it was but when things happen quickly quite often people suspect the other party did something wrong too), he will have lost his no-claims discount possibly and his insurance will probably rise due to paying out for his and your daughters cars damage. And on top of all this he knows your daughter was uninsured yet now has the money for a shiney newer car from all this. Again I understand the accident was not her fault but personal feelings aside I think most people would be angry at this and want some kind of retribution. I have never shopped anyone for any illegal activity but if I was in an accident with an uninsured driver (regardless of fault) and then my company paid them for repairs etc I too think I would contact the police about the non-insurance and be pushing for some kind of fine/points. Truthfully if the situation were reversed and your daughter was the insured one who had just paid out then you too would be angry if the other driver was uninsured. Like I said, not having a go at you but you are obviously biaised in your outlook on this as it involves your daughter - step outside the situation and you will see why so many people are angry at your feeling that this other driver is wrong in wanting some kind of justice.

Too many people are killed or hurt by uninsured drivers and all properly insured drivers are paying the cost for this. I hope your daughter has learnt her lesson and I bet she is pleased that at least the other driver wasn't also uninsured otherwise she may not have a car at all now.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rose28454 wrote: »
    Final post on this matter no matter what muck is not thrown.

Promise? You said pretty much the same last night, then deleted it and carried on ;)
  • gaz_jones
    gaz_jones Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you do carry on posting rose because I truely am interested as to the outcome. When abouts is the court case?

Where do you live? Maybe if i buy a local paper it'll be on the front page?
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure