New tax credit claim, requesting statements etc.

Hi all,

I’m having a hard time lately and the tax credit system is confusing me.
Two months ago me and my partner split up. I have a daughter with him and we had a mortgage and savings together to the sum of about 9k.
As soon as we split up I applied for tax credits and I have found a lovely house to rent nearby, which I moved into on 1st of May.
I phoned tax credits who advised that my first payment would reach my account in mid May, but instead of getting any payments, I received a rather abrupt letter requesting all my statement, work contacts etc. They attached a letter about fraud.

Now I’m terrified as I will not be getting any money and have over 1k of bills due on 1st June... my only income currently is from my supermarket job, but it’s not even enough to cover my rent, let alone anything else.
I’m more than happy to provide all the info they have requested, but I was wondering
where I stand with savings in my bank account?

To explain, me and my now ex, had around 9k of savings in my bank account, which was for ongoing building work which was started in September last year when we were still together, but this work was not due to be completed untill May this year, due to some issues we had with the quality of work.
As soon was we split , I agreed to transfer some of the money back to him (4K) and he agreed to let me keep the rest as long as I paid
off one more bill to our joiner (1k).

These money transactions happend all around the time I applied for tax credits, as unfortunately this was when all the work was due to be completed.
Will this look dodgy? I have all the receipts.

I now have pretty much nothing left from the savings, as I’ve had to spend the reminder on furniture, as my new rental had none, and then my rent and deposit came to another 1.5k.

Will tax credits withhold my payments or think I’m committing fraud? I know I’m 100% genuine but I know it looks really bad having large transactions leaving my account at this time. I can’t change this as I had no idea we would split up when we stated saving for all this building work, and I absolutely had to give this money back to my ex when we split, as he had a massive bill of 4K due.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Tax credits won!!!8217;t care about savings.

They may be simply making sure the single claim is legitimate. Make sure all your financials (bank, work address, car insurance, cards etc) are at your new address and not still at your own home. You have a mortgage with your ex but what is happening with that house?
  • Nevey
    Nevey Posts: 3 Newbie
    I thought savings mattered for tax credits? Yesterday I read somewhere that if you have over 6k it can reduce your payments? I’m concerned they will think I’ve purposefully got rid of the money for benefits purpose, even though it’s not the case.

I have changed my address with the bank, have no car, but am yet to change it with my workplace... thank you very much for that tip as will sort that tomorrow!
    I also have a rent agreement and my first council tax bill for my new property. Should I give them this too?

My ex is in the process of removing my name from the mortgage and deeds, as I agreed he could take over the mortgage (things are very amicable between us)..., at some point he will have to give me a sum of money for my part of the house, but he can’t afford to just now so I’m fine with that. We will ensure a formal agreement is draughted with a solicitor to make sure I get my money one day.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Savings aren't income so not included for tax credit purposes. Interest in savings is included as other income and any other income over £300 pa needs to be declared.

As said, it's more likely they are checking your single claim is genuine.
  • Nevey
    Nevey Posts: 3 Newbie
    Perfect, thank you for your help! !!!128578;

Oh well I have nothing to hide then, as it’s obvious we are not together seen as I’ve gone and rented somewhere by myself and I can easily provide my new tenancy agreement, council tax bill etc.

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport