Enough's enough, I want air con!

Comments

• littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have often wondered why we cannot get those air con units which fit in the bottom of the window like they have in New York - anyone know if you can get them in the UK? I take it you don't have sash windows? If you do and you open top and bottom of window and put one fan next to window, then another fan diagonally opposite on other side of room, then sit in front of window fan in the cross draught, I find it helps. Gardner, interesting what you say about Twickenham, we lived there during a couple of hot summers and it does get very humid. More humid than most places .Had to have fan on all night in bedroom.
  • Kerry22
    Kerry22 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kerry22 wrote: »

Anyone know of a good one in the price range of £100 - £300?

Does anyone have a good one that they can recommend?
  • Kerry22
    edited 18 July 2017 at 1:43AM
    gardner1 wrote: »
    I take it your in London/south east......we lived in Twickenham for 7 years and summer would be a nightmare just constant heat and very close at nights....would be praying for a good downpour to cool things down

South East. The thing is they are saying we are going to have 3 months of a heatwave, that's just too long, lol

One side of my flat seems to get the sun most of the day and it heats all the bricks up and turns it into an oven.
  • Kerry22
    littlerock wrote: »
    I take it you don't have sash windows? If you do and you open top and bottom of window and put one fan next to window, then another fan diagonally opposite on other side of room, then sit in front of window fan in the cross draught, I find it helps.

Tiny flat. Lovely flat but small, so this won't work entirely, but the main issue is that I can't work in the heat (and also with fans blowing papers everywhere). If it wasn't about doing work at home, I'd probably just buy loads of fans and place them all around and then sit in the middle. :rotfl:
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    I've had one in the past that vented out of a window and it worked well. I don't remember the details of how I minimised air leaking in from the window it vented through but certainly you need to keep the volume you are refrigerating to a minimum so do as GunJack suggested and keep the doors shut. They can be noisy.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Kerry22 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good one that they can recommend?

sorry, had ours for about 15 yrs so don't know about current models...I do know they were around £400 each though, and that was :eek: at the time....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,408 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Might not help you now but if you buy one during a heat wave then you will pay top money. If you can hang on until autumn, they are discounted in the shops and you can pick up a second hand one very cheaply as people look to get them out the way rather than store them until next year or raise some cash for xmas.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 7:18AM
    I have a portable unit branded by Homebase, think it was £70 from t'Bay.

They are quite noisy when the compressor is running and are awkward to store when not needed.

I had a panel made up to fit a window opening and attached the hose outlet to that so all the hot air was vented outside.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 11:00AM
    littlerock wrote: »
    I have often wondered why we cannot get those air con units which fit in the bottom of the window like they have in New York - anyone know if you can get them in the UK?

You must be able to. My parent's have one. They have a had it a long time though.

One problem that is overlooked with the portable machines is that even if you vent the hot air pipe outside, the hot air it pushes out of the room has to be replaced... by more warm air from outside.

I have worked in hot countries and you do get used to it after a while.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    In Turkey, the major aircon manufacturer has the unfortunate name of Arçelik. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure