Liabilities of charity trustees, and how trustees are determined

Comments

• stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Sorry my phone posted too early, in an incorporated charity, after the members have paid their £1, where does the redundancy or damages bill get paid from?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 12:53AM
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    Sorry my phone posted too early, in an incorporated charity, after the members have paid their £1, where does the redundancy or damages bill get paid from?
    the same place as any incorporated body - from the assets of the body. If there are insufficient assets then company law says unpaid staff wages have no higher claim to whatever cash is left than any other creditor, there may not be enough to cover everything. In that case some will be losers.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/charity-types-how-to-choose-a-structure

If a charity structure is a corporate body, generally its trustees aren’t personally liable for what it does.

If your charity isn’t a corporate body (‘unincorporated’):
    - the trustees are personally liable for what it does
    - it won’t be able to enter into contracts or control some investments in its own name
    - two or more trustees, a corporate custodian trustee or the charities’ land holding service will have to ‘hold’ any land on your charity’s behalf
  • stoozie1
    So if someone is awarded a large sum in damages against a charity (CIO) they don't get paid either?
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 10:07AM
    So if someone is awarded a large sum in damages against a charity (CIO) they don't get paid either?

As already explained for any company that enjoys limited liability, on the winding up that company, any creditors will be paid whatever is left from the liquidation of assets.

There is no magic money tree.

Usually creditors are paid in proportion to the amount owed, but it can be more complicated as some creditors may be classed as preferential creditors.
  • stoozie1
    many thanks. If anyone has any official links supporting this, I would be most reassured.

Can I re-raise my other question in the OP about how someone would be defined as a director/trustee, without signing anything to say that. How would the 'performing the role' test be applied?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    many thanks. If anyone has any official links supporting this, I would be most reassured.
    there are countless links covering the bankruptcy/liquidation/winding up of a company - use google. Here's one at random
    https://www.gov.uk/wind-up-a-company-that-owes-you-money/overview
    take note of the big ! mark comment
    Can I re-raise my other question in the OP about how someone would be defined as a director/trustee, without signing anything to say that. How would the 'performing the role' test be applied?
    it is explained in the link you yourself posted at #5
    perhaps it would be wiser if you did not take on a trustee role?

see also
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-essential-trustee-what-you-need-to-know-cc3
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Aquamania wrote: »

There is no magic money tree.
    No, a viable company needs to be strong and stable.
  • stoozie1
    00ec25 wrote: »
    there are countless links covering the bankruptcy/liquidation/winding up of a company - use google. Here's one at random
    https://www.gov.uk/wind-up-a-company-that-owes-you-money/overview
    take note of the big ! mark comment
    it is explained in the link you yourself posted at #5

I have been reading similar for over a year, but I can't see 100% that the trustees are not liable.
    00ec25 wrote: »
    perhaps it would be wiser if you did not take on a trustee role?

see also
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-essential-trustee-what-you-need-to-know-cc3
    I don't feel that I have, and I feel I can evidence that I have not, but some of the volunteer jobs I have been doing for the charity could possibly be made to seem that I have if a court/whoever needed someone to call that in the unfortunate event.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    I admit I only skimmed that page, but I can't see it saying what you seem to think it says. The sentence which leapt out at me was
    Trustees are the only people entitled to make decisions at a board meeting.

Have you been involved in voting at board meetings? Making decisions? Not just presenting options, but making decisions? the whole 'role of trustees' section seems to me to make it clear.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    So employees made redundant and with a notice period just walk away with nothing, or someone who sued the business for 120k damages, likewise?
    Two separate situations:

1. Employees entitled to redundancy can claim that from the government.
    2. Someone who sues a limited company without knowing if it's going to be able to pay up has been badly advised, because there's no guarantee they will get what they are awarded.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport