What we spent on baby before he was born

Hello MSE :)

I thought I'll post this, as a lot of people ask about how much they need to save before committing on starting a family.

I might update this thread with post-pregancy expenditures.

Firstly a bit about us:

Mr & Mrs Natureboss got married in 2015 and found out we were pregnant around June 2017

Baby's due date was 17th Feb 2018 but was born on 30th Jan 2018.

Just a note before the breakdown, this isn't by any means the cheapest/money saving way. This was what we felt comfortable spending :):) also first baby syndrome :)

• Maternity £. 157.20
  • Furniture and Accessories £ 1,352.16
  • Hospital £ 88.25
  • Baby Misc (Baby Clothes, books, yoga ball, etc.) £. 340.00

Total spend: £1,937.61

I can post a breakdown if this is of interest :)

Have a lovely evening.

Natureboss89

Comments

• Shakey87
    Shakey87 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi,

This is super helpful. We have just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant, so very early days yet, but we are already starting to think about finances. We had already been planning a kitchen reno this year and now I've found out I'm pregnant I also want to do our bathroom, so budgeting will be very necessary.

I would love to see a breakdown if you have the time to do one!

Thanks again! :-)
  • If it helps anyone on a tighter budget, this is what we spent before baby was born.
    Cot and mattress - £80, Ikea. Took the side off the cot and secured it to our bed as a cosleeper.
    Sheets: £4 for 2, aldi
    Clothes: £20 on a preloved bundle and got loads of hand me downs
    Blankets: £10, Aldi baby event. Summer baby so just got the cellular ones to layer up.
    Thermometer : £5. Wish we'd spent more and got a better one
    Bath: borrowed an angelcare support but never used it, I just got in the bath with him
    Pram: £50 preloved icandy cherry. Didn't need it tbh. Mainly used a stretchy sling that I got for £15 preloved.
    Nappies: bulk bought £25 worth in sizes 2 and 3 in the aldi baby event.
    Wipes: £15 on a few bulk boxes from also
    Nappy bin : £10, didn't need
    High chair; ikea antilop, £16. Fab buy
    Play mat: £12 on offer at Argos
    Bouncy chair: £5 preloved
    Bag of baby toys and books: £5 preloved.
    Changing mat: £6 Aldi
    Nursing bras : £40 for three
    Muslins: £3 for three from aldi

Special note; we borrowed an infant car seat from my brother so no cost here . But it's advised to buy a new one unless you 100% know the history of a seat for safety reasons.

Maternity clothes. I just bought three stretchy primark dresses and lived in these! Plus a pair of maternity jeans teamed with hubby's jumpers. Oh and a comfy pair of slip on padded shoes £6 shoe zone, as I needed something simple towards the end of pregnancy.

We've found having a baby far cheaper than expected and he is now 20 months. Breastfeeding saved loads of money. We go to lots of 50p playgroups or free activities at children's centres and museums.

For after baby is born, I hadn't factored in the following costs:
    - coffee and cake with fellow new mums in the early days! Now we just go to each other's houses, but I used to dread the "shall we get a Costa?" question.
    - increased water , gas and electricity bills. Probably about £30 a month more.
    - extra food for you if you are breastfeeding
    - muslins. You need loads of them. Not just three like I'd bought!
  • AmelieAva8
    AmelieAva8 Posts: 23 Forumite
    I just want to say thanks to the above post! I think people over think having a baby and can buy so much stuff. Big lover of breastfeeding and sling wearing. We sold our Pram we bought and it was such a relief not to have to cart it around like we did with first born.

Also love the co sleeper cot that’s exactly what we did, she’s 2 and still sleeps with us and the cot just gives us extra space.
    For furniture Ikea is so good and reasonably priced.

We used cloth nappies but more for environmental/better for bum reasons than cost (as some can be pricey but oh so gorgeous!)

Baby groups- make use of your children’s centre, yes there are fancy swimming lessons and massage groups ect but if you can’t afford it don’t worry about it. There should be plenty else to do, plus some CC run baby massage groups and other fun stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure