Dell Inspiron 3264 AIO - screen issue (13 months)

grumpycrab
grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
edited 22 May 2018 at 10:38AM in Techie Stuff
Dell AIO (this is a friend's cheap nasty computer) has a screen problem. Initially I thought it was just going to sleep but the screen is not staying on. The main symptom is Dell logo flashes up at startup then screen goes off.

Sometimes can get the screen back by putting in sleep (there's a keyboard key to do this) and waking again. (There's an HDMI connector but I've had no luck with this; you have to turn the local screen off -there's a toggle switch for this- but hasn't detected 2 screens I've tried).

PS. Do you think we stand any chance of Dell support if we claim the computer was not fit for purpose having failed after only 13 months?
If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you tried a usb boot ? or even just seeing if the screen stays on in BIOS ? Can't remember which key it is for dell (esc,del,f2) Put the requisite code in the dell support page for the manuals etc
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • grumpycrab
    F2 for BIOS. It's all working but screen is off. At start if Dell logo stays then I know it's ok; if it flashes then the screen stays off (even under the BIOS).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • grumpycrab
    This has been diagnosed (screen of AIO doesn't come on reliably) at a shop as a Northbridge failure which a reflow may fix (Neigbour has agreed to pay but I suggested it wasn't worth the risk.) Does this sound feasible? I'd have thought the symptoms would have been worse than just a screen issue?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    First i would run the built in dell display self tests ..

Turn on the machine while holding down D

Then run the further tests by turning on the machine while holding down the Fn key

(Not sure if it will work on an AIO as these tests are mainly for laptops, but as an AIO is basically a laptop strapped to a monitor it's worth a shot)
  • grumpycrab
    AndyPix wrote: »
    First i would run the built in dell display self tests ...
    The Dell display self test worked (when I managed to get the screen to come on which became more and more difficult). The northbridge is being reflowed. Fingers crossed.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    ... hasn't detected 2 screens I've tried)

Your two screens, they do support 1920 x 1080 - you graphic card resolution?
  • grumpycrab
    that wrote: »
    Your two screens, they do support 1920 x 1080 - you graphic card resolution?
    Yep. But this is a red-herring (I think); unlike a laptop, this particular Dell All-In-One takes an HDMI IN connection rather than OUT (my fault, I should have RTFM.) The Northbridge is being reflowed otherwise I would have checked this earlier (annoyed with myself).
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'd be curious what they're actually doing to the machine as it doesn't have a northbridge, that function was integrated into the processor a few years ago.

John
  • grumpycrab
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I'd be curious what they're actually doing to the machine as it doesn't have a northbridge, that function was integrated into the processor a few years ago.

John
    Oh blimey - quote definitely says NORTHBRIDGE FAILURE, ATTEMPT REFLOW - I'll try and stop them... Thanks.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Oh blimey - quote definitely says NORTHBRIDGE FAILURE, ATTEMPT REFLOW - I'll try and stop them... Thanks.

I'm guessing they're using 'northbridge' as a generic term perhaps, there's not many parts to reflow on that type of system so I'm guessing it's the main processor they're meaning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure