Martial home with kids involved

Ok, I have emailed my solicitor but still awaiting a reply, so not after concreate answers

I split with my husband last year when my twins were very young. Due to my ill health and having the kids, I opted to move back in with my parents.

I've recently discovered my ex hasn't been paying the mortgage and I'm in talks with the lenders, however I'm unsure of the best option, and was wondering if anyone could help:

1 - sell the house - fight over the money involved, have to live off my money and therefore no deposit for a property for me and my kids

2 - kick him out the house - as the kids are so young and find out the legal side of taking over the house - partly as I have the kids and partly because the marriage breakdown is 100% his fault - would I be able to do this?

I can't keep living with my parents :(

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    What income are you living on at present?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fault has nothing to do with any settlement.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You can't kick him out -fault doesn't come into it. You can move back in but you can't make him leave.
    How long have you been married? You're likely going to need to do the full financial assessment (property, savings, pensions etc) of both your assets then decide what is a fair split. Can you afford to buy him out? If your name is on the mortgage and he's not paying it, you're equally liable for it.
    Have you looked at mediation?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Phyzelda
    Phyzelda Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No fault doesn't but children do! And he's being a p....
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Bottom line is, could you afford to pay the mortgage by yourself, or not? Because it seems to me that if he's not paying the mortgage now, he's not likely to do so if he's not even living there.

If you can't, then what elsien says is almost certainly your only option.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Phyzelda wrote: »

2 - kick him out the house - as the kids are so young and find out the legal side of taking over the house - partly as I have the kids and partly because the marriage breakdown is 100% his fault - would I be able to do this?

(

Short answer, no.

It's still jointly his house, he's just as entitled to live there with the children as you are. So you and the children can move back in but he can stay.

Do you earn enough money to buy him out and take over the mortgage?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Joint mortgage?

If the mortgage isn't paid, your credit rating is already shot. I'd sit back and let the bank repossess in a few months time.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Phyzelda
    Phyzelda Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't and won't let that happen brassicwoman as I would loose my job and career. I'm in talks with the lender. And well aware what could happen!!! Not what my post was about!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Is the house in joint names?
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Phyzelda wrote: »
    I can't and won't let that happen brassicwoman as I would loose my job and career. I'm in talks with the lender. And well aware what could happen!!! Not what my post was about!

Hey, no need to get angry with me; I've no idea what your job is. And genuinely, it's what I would do. I'd have enough on my plate with kids and illness to try and fix joint problems alone.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport