Amazon Fire TV Stick

2»

Comments

• dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 December 2017 at 12:27PM
    Chris1447 wrote: »
    We are on a contract with Virgin Media -Phone, broadband and TV-We just have a standard recording box -not Tivo- and do not have a smart TV, so is the Amazon Firestick worthwhile If so we look after Christmas when they are likely to be reduced in sales. We have also heard you will be able to get U Tube through Firefox from the beginning of January Is that correct. Not sure how that would work. Any advise will be appreciated, Thank you.

chromecast maybe a better option if you just want youtube, iplayer etc. you will need a device (phone, tablet, pc or laptop) to cast from

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/chromecast-sausage-party-hd-rental-2199-rakuten-tv-2852326
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Chris1447 wrote: »
    We have also heard you will be able to get U Tube through Firefox from the beginning of January Is that correct.

I've loaded Firefox, but few of the video formats play within it.

It would be more expensive, but I'd go for a straight Android TV box - there are good ones that will do 4K. That gives you the whole unrestricted catalogue of apps to download with no-one trying to restrict what you watch.

I've given the Firestick a second chance as I've got grandkids coming up over Xmas, so the various catch up services are useful so I can use the the Youview box to record at the same time. I've not changed my opinion of the Firestick - especially now that they're disabling Youtube on it (the two companies are having a spat). I also tried to download BBC Radio player (iPlayer only does TV and Radio 1) but it isn't available for Firestick.

I'll order a full Android TV box for about £60 and the Firestick will go in the bin. Not even good value for under £30.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • henm2
    henm2 Posts: 721 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    'Firestick will go in the bin' What a waste as they are great with a properly set up Kodi installation.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    orrery wrote: »
    I've loaded Firefox, but few of the video formats play within it.
    I've not tested it very extensively, but I've yet to have a YouTube video fail to play.
    Stompa
  • orrery
    henm2 wrote: »
    'Firestick will go in the bin' What a waste as they are great with a properly set up Kodi installation.

It was bought for the simple voice remote that can search for content (as per the TV advert) for a severely disabled and brain damaged child, to easily access programmes on 5/milkshake. I'm not sure a Kodi installation will really cut it, but thanks for the suggestion.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • orrery wrote: »
    I'll order a full Android TV box for about £60 and the Firestick will go in the bin. Not even good value for under £30.

i am not a fan of firesticks due to the bloat but talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire. apart from the bloat android boxes date due to restrictions on updates.

raspberry pi are cheap, flexible and easy to program/update and is my first choice media player with chromecast a close second.

as you only want to watch the 'players' wouldn't a better option be a chromecast voice controlled by a phone or tablet?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • orrery
    ...but talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire. apart from the bloat android boxes date due to restrictions on updates.

raspberry pi are cheap, flexible and easy to program/update and is my first choice media player with chromecast a close second.

Interesting views, but the Chromecast puts me back into a proprietary box which is what I'm trying to avoid - note the current Youtube spat that means that it disappears from the Firestick in a few days and I don't want that sort of control over what we do with it.

The Android boxes (a huge choice with lots of processing power and memory options) gets me a pure vanilla platform that should have the widest choice of apps. It also gets me an interface that is well known to almost everyone - very important as young lad is looked after by a team of about 6 nurses on shifts, and they're going to have to drive it. That rules out a Pi.

I had some time playing with a pure Android TV (a Cello) and it was a very pleasant surprise (it really needs a proper keyboard and mouse, but that is fine).

I'm also assuming that I can load TeamViewer onto an Android box so I can control it / do setup / diagnose issues remotely.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ^^ Jesus ...
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    A spammer has got under the radar with his/her horrible spammy affiliate links

Reported
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport