PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax from renting when most of rent goes into paying off mortgage

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You are on repayment the interest will be going down each month.

Full mortgage details needed.

House value would be useful as well.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your calculations seem very optimistic in that there are a lot of potential expenses you haven't factored in.

Is there a compelling reason you want to keep hold of this property?
  • BoGoF
    Options
    Just read whole thread.....so basically after paying the mortgage you have £10 left to cover all your other expenses and tax. As soon as you pay your monthly insurance you are losing money and you said you dont want to lose money?
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Just read whole thread.....so basically after paying the mortgage you have £10 left to cover all your other expenses and tax. As soon as you pay your monthly insurance you are losing money and you said you dont want to lose money?

Hes 'losing' £100 a month but gets his house paid for him. Sounds a good deal.
    What is the going rent for similar properties, maybe you are under pricing the market and can make up that £100.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 December 2017 at 9:30PM
    Options
    Hes 'losing' £100 a month but gets his house partially paid for him. Sounds [STRIKE]a good[/STRIKE] better than paying it all yourself deal.
    made the corrections for you :D
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 December 2017 at 9:32PM
    Options
    I'm following "Example 3: impact of first year of phased reduction of finance cost" from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-tax-relief-for-residential-landlords-how-its-worked-out-including-case-studies

Can someone please check if my calculations below are right (for year 2017/18 - property let Sept 2017 - March 2018):

Rental Income £3710 (7 * £530)
    Fincance costs (£300 interest each month so 7*£300*0.75) = £1575
    Other allowable expenses = (buildings insurance 7*£30) = £210

Property profits = £3710 - £1575 - £210 = £1925

Less tax reduction for remaining finance
    costs calculated on 25% of finance
    costs (£1575 x 25% = £393.75)

now, as per example above sums (£1925 and £393.75), would be both multiplied by 0.2 (due to tax bracket I presume?) but I'm on 0.4 so should I multiply both by 0.4?

so tax will roughly be:
    (£1925 * 0.4) - (£393.75 * 0.4) = £770 - £157.5 = £612.5
    rental profit after non finance costs and partially restricted mortgage interest = 1,925

tax payable 1,925 x 40% = 770
    add back 25% balance of mortgage interest relief capped at 20%: (7*300= 2100 x 25% = 525. check if £525 is less than the property profits (1,925), yes it is, therefore use finance costs not deducted above in capped relief calculation: 525 x 20% = 105

net post tax profit in cash terms: 1,925 - tax (-770 + 105) = 1,260
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »

The capital part of the mortgage payment is savings/equity so does not count on the P&L.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All I want is someone to pay off my mortgage and I don't want to lose money.
    One can dream I suppose.....

Well there are over 10,000 users a day on the HPC site who by definition (and completely misguided and flawed logic) have been paying off landlord's mortgages for well over a decade so for many the dream is actually a reality. ;)
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Please note that all the links I provided in post 7 are written from an Englandd/Wales perspective.

You are aware I hope that in Scotland all landlords must be registered with the council?

It's a shame there's not a McG_M.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • BoGoF
    Options
    The capital part of the mortgage payment is savings/equity so does not count on the P&L.

I do realise this. I was talking purely from a monthly real terms cash position and OP saying he did not want to lose money. Unless the property is gaining more value than the monthly cash loss he is losing money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure