IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

What next?, letter from Gladstones

Options
attended a long awaited GP appointment on 29th December, parked in the same road that I had parked many times previously came out to a parking charge notice, from PCM , stating that I had parked in a restricted area, looked around and across the road I could see a sign high on a post, which was too small to read, even stood directly under it.
Followed all the MSE forum advice for my response, which was had the sign been visible I would have not parked there and as I have parked there on previous occasions, there was no clear signs indicating that parking restrictions were now in place, which they rejected.
Appealed to IAS, who rejected my appeal on the grounds that I had parked outside a marked bay and therefore in breach of displayed terms, so nothing relevant to my appeal of their case which was that I had parked in the road.
had the expected debt collectors letter and threats, today received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors , saying their client may instruct them to take legal action and they invite me to make payment or to confirm my proposals in respect of the debt.
Sorry if that's a bit long winded, I've tried reading the pinned posts and am just getting confused on my next step, do I respond, if so which template? or wait for them and their next step?

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    madcazza wrote: »
    attended a long awaited GP appointment on 29th December, parked in the same road that I had parked many times previously came out to a parking charge notice, from PCM , stating that I had parked in a restricted area, looked around and across the road I could see a sign high on a post, which was too small to read, even stood directly under it.
    Followed all the MSE forum advice for my response, which was had the sign been visible I would have not parked there and as I have parked there on previous occasions, there was no clear signs indicating that parking restrictions were now in place, which they rejected.
    Appealed to IAS, who rejected my appeal on the grounds that I had parked outside a marked bay and therefore in breach of displayed terms, so nothing relevant to my appeal of their case which was that I had parked in the road.
    had the expected debt collectors letter and threats, today received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors , saying their client may instruct them to take legal action and they invite me to make payment or to confirm my proposals in respect of the debt.
    Sorry if that's a bit long winded, I've tried reading the pinned posts and am just getting confused on my next step, do I respond, if so which template? or wait for them and their next step?

The well known Gladstones SCAM .... THEY OWN AND RUN THE IPC/IAS

Been reported to the government many times to no avail.

Right now, you are in a good position to have a serious word in the shell like ears of your MP ..... I mean will you vote for him/her or not ???
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 April 2017 at 8:45PM
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72449222#post72449222

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72446332#post72446332

Searching the forum is so much better and quicker than asking on a thread. These debt collector 'Gladstones' letters are arriving like tedious old buses.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • madcazza
    Options
    I have now received a count court claim, I got the letter before claim at the end of last month whilst my partner was seriously ill in hospital and I missed the opportunity to reply, but I am fighting this all the way.
    I have followed instructions and acknowledge the claim on line, now will work on the evidence and my defence.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don’t miss the deadline for submitting your defence or Gladstones will pounce immediately for a default judgment.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • madcazza
    Options
    drafted my defence , struggling to word it, help please or link the to a template
    In the County Court Business Centre
    Between:
    Parking Control Management (UK) Limited
    V
    xxxxxxxx

Claim Number: xxxxx
    I, xxxxxx, deny I am liable to the Claimant for the entirety of the claim for each of the following reasons:

1. This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol (as outlined in the new Pre Action Protocol for Debt Claims, 1 October 2017). As an example as to why this prevents a full defence being filed at this time, a parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant.

2. The signage at the entrance to this road does not comply with the IPC code of practise
    a) PART B: section 2 paragraph 2.1
    b) Part E: Schedule 1

any input would be helpful
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    just put UKCPM GLADSTONES DEFENCE into the drop down forum search box and plenty of threads come up

like this recent one

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5725515

adapt it to suit
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    madcazza wrote: »
    drafted my defence , struggling to word it, help please or link the to a template
    In the County Court Business Centre
    Between:
    Parking Control Management (UK) Limited
    V
    xxxxxxxx

Claim Number: xxxxx
    I, xxxxxx, deny I am liable to the Claimant for the entirety of the claim for each of the following reasons:

1. This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol (as outlined in the new Pre Action Protocol for Debt Claims, 1 October 2017). As an example as to why this prevents a full defence being filed at this time, a parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant.

2. The signage at the entrance to this road does not comply with the IPC code of practise
    a) PART B: section 2 paragraph 2.1
    b) Part E: Schedule 1

any input would be helpful
    Absolutely NO. Far too short.

Review the advice & links you've been given & the examples in the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • madcazza
    Options
    second attempt
    1. I am the defendant,

2. I deny any liability to the Claimant whatsoever on the following basis:

Insufficient Signage.

I. The PCN was issued on a road where I had parked on many previous occasions, there was not on this occasion nor previous occasions any notices that this is a private road.
    II. I found a sign after I found the PCN on my vehicle which was positioned approximately 2 meters from the ground and of a size that was impossible to read, and it would be reasonable to assume from the location and position that the sign itself is making reference to the building site behind, rather than the road which is not marked as private. This sign is too high and the text too small for a driver to see whilst in the vehicle, meaning it is not obvious to the motorist.

I refer to the IPC Code of Practice, Part E, Entrance signs should
    i. Make it clear that the Motorist is entering Private Land
    ii. Signs should be obvious to the Motorist.
    iii. Text should be of a such a size and in a font that can be easily readable by the motorist.
    The sign in question did not meet any of the above criteria as evidenced in
    Exhibit 1: My own photograph of the sign, location and position
    Exhibit 1a: Photographs supplied Parking Control Management (UK)Ltd of the sign, location and position.

3.The IAS is not considered an independent appeals system due to the Assessors' names remaining secret and well-publicised concerns over a conflict of interest. The IAS is a trading name of the IPC who are owned by the same people as the Claimant's Solicitors, Gladstones, who are now bringing this claim. Given this, I do not accept its dismissal of my appeal, as the rejection was not based on my appeal or on any facts related to the alleged contravention.

a) The Prima Facia case of the “The Operator” was minimal.
    b) The photographic evidence supplier to the IAS assessor by “The Operator”
    i) Prove my appeal that the sign at the entrance to the road is unreadable.
    ii) Most are irrelevant to the actual case, as there are no marked bays in the location that I parked.

c) I am not willing to accept the decision of the IAS adjudicator who dismissed the appeal, for the reasons stated above.

4. This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol (as outlined in the new Pre Action Protocol for Debt Claims, 1 October 2017). As an example as to why this prevents a full defence being filed at this time, a parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2017 at 12:42PM
    Options
    They would struggle if they took this to court imo, signs form the basis of a contract. However, many timid folk fold at the sight of a letter from a solicitor threatening court. Clear signage is a sine qua non, read this

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/motorist-wins-18-month-ticket-battle-870812

I believe ther is also a transcript on t'net
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could we have the location to check the signs there. High signs and small print as PCM's normal scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure