DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• BreakFree14
    BreakFree14 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Must admit that I am very surprised and relieved to how my creditors have taken my situation. As above I mentioned I was anxious to inform them but so far they have all responded rather 'nicely' definitely made the experience of having to do this a lot easier than expected.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Must admit that I am very surprised and relieved to how my creditors have taken my situation. As above I mentioned I was anxious to inform them but so far they have all responded rather 'nicely' definitely made the experience of having to do this a lot easier than expected.

Although the situation is far from perfect, things are a lot better these days, i still think a six month grace period before further collection activity commences should become mandatory, as per what Martin is campaigning for.

Overall though, as you have found out, creditors have rules to follow as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • torheb
    torheb Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I haven't had any phone calls and am in month 2 - I expected constant calls and imagined people turning up on the doorstep- with how quick the stepchange DMP was set up I didn't have chance to contact creditors and they said that's no problem I haven't written to anyone yet - plan to to request interest freezing. Have default letters coming in now which freaked me out at first but I spoke to step change and this forum and now know this is normal! It's been relatively pain free so far!
  • vaper
    vaper Posts: 105 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 8:22AM
    I've just logged in to my barclaycard account ( first time for weeks as I didn't dare to log on) anyway it says

Failure to make the payment requested could result in the issue of a default notice under section 87(1) of the consumer credit act 1974 and /or a reduction in your credit limit.

So is this telling me I am about to be defaulted? It seems pretty quick as I have only missed two months payments and I thought barclaycard were one of the bad guys at issuing defaults.
    Mind you, it also says if I pay £944 immediately followed by £288 by 17th July we may be able to be friends again ( I'll just give the money tree a quick shake) lol
    Anyone know?
    Thanks
    V
    Don't put menthol vape juice in your eyes!!!
  • vaper
    torheb wrote: »
    I haven't had any phone calls and am in month 2 - I expected constant calls and imagined people turning up on the doorstep- with how quick the stepchange DMP was set up I didn't have chance to contact creditors and they said that's no problem I haven't written to anyone yet - plan to to request interest freezing. Have default letters coming in now which freaked me out at first but I spoke to step change and this forum and now know this is normal! It's been relatively pain free so far!
    Lucky you. I have had constant phone calls, texts and letters (all ignored by me) even though in the letter I sent to everyone I asked to be contacted in writing only. There doesn't seem to be any particular way that any of the CC company's work as everyone on here has a different experience with each one of them.
    Anyway I shall keep on playing the ignorant game just as they appear to be doing:)
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    On the subject of 'calls' from creditors - I'd just like to add that my experience matches those of others who have already posted. Yes, one or two were a little more persistent and called my hubby's mobile on a fairly frequent basis (Capital One springs to mind on that) - but after a while he just blocked them (as you can) and they had to resort to letters. In the first 6 months I seem to recall we received various letters, default notices and the like quite frequently - but now we tend only to receive letters once a year around the time of the annual review, if that.

Many of the letters sent are simply automated by creditors when late, or no, payment triggers something in their system. So for all the newbies - just see it as part of the process and file the letters away. You only need to take more notice if, for example, a letter includes something specific in relation to your situation or a response to something you've sent. If it's simply - you owe us, pay now or further action will follow...blah...blah - just file (or bin it).
  • vaper wrote: »
    I've just logged in to my barclaycard account ( first time for weeks as I didn't dare to log on) anyway it says

Failure to make the payment requested could result in the issue of a default notice under section 87(1) of the consumer credit act 1974 and /or a reduction in your credit limit.

So is this telling me I am about to be defaulted? It seems pretty quick as I have only missed two months payments and I thought barclaycard were one of the bad guys at issuing defaults.
    Mind you, it also says if I pay £944 immediately followed by £288 by 17th July we may be able to be friends again ( I'll just give the money tree a quick shake) lol
    Anyone know?
    Thanks
    V
    In my experience creditors start sending out the 'we may default you' type letters pretty soon after a missed payment or once you start a DMP. It means absolutely nothing in many cases and, although the length of time different creditors take to default can vary very widely, some creditors take many, many months to default. I've had no dealings with Barclays but several of mine actually defaulted around the same time, about 4 months in to my DMP. The others were a bit slower and one eventually defaulted after about 4 years despite similar letters to yours coming regularly:eek:. I'm working on that though and have written to ask them to backdate the default to the same date as the others. I live in hope that they can get their act together and actually do it;). I certainly don't want it on my credit file for years after all the others have gone:(
  • vaper
    Thanks folks.
    I won't hold my breath then.
  • I think I know the answer to this but I am confusing myself for a change. Accounts that are reporting 'up to date' and green but with apr markers, is it still better for these to default? I presume it is so they will fall off after the 6 years but seeing the green on my credit reports has made me wonder.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think I know the answer to this but I am confusing myself for a change. Accounts that are reporting 'up to date' and green but with apr markers, is it still better for these to default? I presume it is so they will fall off after the 6 years but seeing the green on my credit reports has made me wonder.

The problem with AP markers is that they stay on your file for 6 years after you have repaid the debt, so your credit can be screwed up for 12 years instead of 6.

I would always take defaults over AP markers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure