Investigation at work, help needed please.

2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Ohmykk wrote: »
    I know that there was no serious outcome for me not seeing the family. But I know that does not make what I have done right.
    I also know that I will get the sack, so I dont know if its best to resign for reference sake? I already have another job lined up, but that obviously going to go to ruin if I have a criminal record. Will the police contact me to take the matter further?
    Can my current employer elaborate more on quit whilst under investigation?
    Since you appear to think lying and fraud are not serious things, I seriously hope this new job is not anywhere near me. Or with anything I care about. You don't seem to treat this as anything more than an inconvenience to yourself.
    If the job involves any contact with vulnerable children or adults, then they probably will give all the details. You don't need a criminal record to be unemployable in situations with vulnerable people- the reference will make this explicit. Your only hope is that the employer accepts your stupidity, but that's not likely. If they don't dismiss, a warning would, eventually, drop off and not be mentioned again. Dismissal or resignation, they are going to disclose.
  • Ohmykk
    Ohmykk Posts: 6 Forumite
    I appreciate everyone replies. I understand the way other people are viewing it now. I wish I knew the seriousness of what I was doing before hand, I feel physically sick that this is going to effect my life over what i thought was just a stupid mistake. I've had no training or anything, Im not making excuses I just dont even know what to say.
  • sangie595
    But surely you knew that lying was wrong? You don't need any training to know that. These people turned up once and refused to turn up two other times, but you claimed they had attended three sessions. Why??? I can understand that you perhaps didn't understand the purpose of the sessions of how important they might be, but saying that people attended three sessions when they attended one is not "a mistake", stupid or otherwise. It is a lie. A mistake is forgetting the title of the book and writing down that you read another book. A lie is deliberately saying something that is not true. And that is what you did. Running away doesn't fix that. Face up to what you have done. You might get some respect for doing that and if you are lucky, get a second chance.
  • Ohmykk
    Ohmykk Posts: 6 Forumite
    Sangie you are right I am going to go to meeting. I met the family on the last session after 2 failed attempts and so the 3 week course in one. But lied and said i did it over the failed attempts.
    I understand I've lied, and that's not acceptable. Honesty didn't realise the seriousness of it all, and like eveyone said, that something could of happend to this child. Not trying to worm my way out or make excuses but I've worked the job less then 6 months and I've had no training. This is something that will haunt me the rest of my life, and I fully regret what I did.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Sangie you are right I am going to go to meeting. I met the family on the last session after 2 failed attempts and so the 3 week course in one. But lied and said i did it over the failed attempts.
    I understand I've lied, and that's not acceptable. Honesty didn't realise the seriousness of it all, and like eveyone said, that something could of happend to this child. Not trying to worm my way out or make excuses but I've worked the job less then 6 months and I've had no training. This is something that will haunt me the rest of my life, and I fully regret what I did.

Your only defence is the lack of training, which if true, is frankly more worrying than your mistake.
  • sangie595
    And that is the right attitude! Be honest. Leave out the bit about no training - you maybe should have had it, but your worst defence now is to be seen to blame them. Apologise. Explain. Groveling is also good. Ask for a chance to show that this isn't the person you are. You have nothing to loose. Then if it doesn't work out you have the text to explain to a prospective employer about why this happened. Far easier to get a second chance if you are honest and above board. Remember - if you went to another job and lied about this one and how it ended - you can get sacked for lying again! Yes you were stupid. And there will be some consequences, although what we don't know. But the measure of your character is how you handle that. It won't haunt you the rest of your life unless you make things worse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure