IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

N1SDT from CEL

johnny918
johnny918 Posts: 7 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 19 June 2017 at 2:18PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi guys thank you very much for reading.

I've had the above letter from County Court Business Centre, Northampton.

As per Newbie sticky I'm starting my own thread as just looking for a bit off advice. About 12 months ago someone parked on a car park, unaware that any payment was due. Had a letter 2 weeks after it happened which I vaguely remember but just ignored it as thought it was a scam as not issued by council. Not heard anything else and then got back from holiday today to find a claim form on my doormat :rotfl:

I've had a look at the car park and I don't know how the driver didn't see the signage in all honesty the only thing I can assume is because it's really high up on the wall and it was dark as they arrived approx 10pm.

Is it worth the stress of going to court or do I just pay it? I've had a look at loads of the stuff on the newbies but I feel like it's all going over my head a bit...

Thanks again

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You are too late for any appeal.

Read up in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum on how to deal with a court claim.

Deal with the acknowledgement first then set about your defence.

Then come back with it for comments

Edit your post to remove details of who was driving
  • johnny918
    Quentin wrote: »
    You are too late for any appeal.

Read up in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum on how to deal with a court claim.

Deal with the acknowledgement first then set about your defence.

Then come back with it for comments

Edit your post to remove details of who was driving

I've edited the post, thanks for the advice. Sorry, I didn't actually mean to appeal - I meant to ask is it worth going to court by ticking the "defend" box rather than paying? Thanks again
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    yes it is , because CEL tend to fold as soon as they see a well constructed forum aided defence

just use one of the most recent june 2017 CEL defences posted by others in the same boat that have been approved on here this month alone , meaning you are one of dozens with court claim letters recently

there are several members threads with suitable defences you can easily adapt, take you maybe 20 minutes of research and proof reading to adapt one

then its emailed as an attachment to the court centre after approval on here
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    johnny918 wrote: »
    I've edited the post, thanks for the advice. Sorry, I didn't actually mean to appeal - I meant to ask is it worth going to court by ticking the "defend" box rather than paying? Thanks again

This is covered on any other CEL claim thread you read. They are easy to defend.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Is it worth the stress of going to court or do I just pay it?

That depends on how you react to stress, how much spare money you have, and your attitude to scams.

Personall, if someone tries to scam me, I try to ensure thay they pay dearly for their hubris.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Yes but CEL don't go to court (where well defended cases are concerned) so it's hardly stressful to write a defence then watch them fold!
  • johnny918
    Thanks very much for all your help. Will try to find some CEL defence examples now so that I can amend to suit.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 21 June 2017 at 5:07PM
    I just replied on two threads with a defence showing v CEL, they are at the top now - near your thread - these are easy!

waaalaura

and

ParkyPark

are right up there to copy from (slightly different versions but all good).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure