PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyer incentive - must see EA broker

Hi,

Got a bit frustrated today. Want to view a house and called EA to arrange. EA wanted to book me into a meeting with their mortgage broker before viewing and even after I said we'd essentially be cash buyers in this case and that we'd already arranged a morgage on a house that had fallen through, he still made the appointment! I know they need to guage/weed out time wasters so need to ascertain what we can afford but I'm a bit annoyed that we can't keep our affordability cards closer to our chest. If I want to make a reduced offer for example.

What should I have said? Just no? This is first time this hard sell has been used on me! I've had EA pass on my number but still let me view the house I want to see!
Btw it was W H Brown

Any thoughts?

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Seriously learn to say no.

It's that simple.
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    I've had one of those (apparently sold as "buyer vetting" to the seller). I went along, wasn't asked for any proof of any of my numbers, and then pulled up the MSE comparison to show the dozen or so better offers that were available compared to the ones the broker had access to (several from large high street banks that there's really no excuse to not cover).

(The house turned out to be rather rubbish - but I have to hand it to the EA's photographer for making the kitchen look a reasonable size despite it being essentially a cupboard)

Do you have the viewing booked as well? Give them a call to reschedule the mortgage brokering until after the viewing, then cancel it later if the viewing doesn't work out.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You've not mentioned the incentive in the title?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • dreyfuss
    dreyfuss Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Incentive is £1000 off if (as I understand it) go through their mortgage broker and possibly their conveyencer.

Wasn't much of an incentive if you don't need a mortgage!

Anyway know its not much of issue just got grow up! :o

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    dreyfuss wrote: »
    Incentive is £1000 off if (as I understand it) go through their mortgage broker and possibly their conveyencer.

Wasn't much of an incentive if you don't need a mortgage!

Anyway know its not much of issue just got grow up! :o

It's not much of an incentive because the price is just inflated to start with....
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When I was looking, I told the agents upfront that I had an AIP/DIP of £x, (which was about 85% of the purchase price) and had a deposit to cover the rest, but didn't say how large the deposit was. This allowed the EA to ascertain I wasn't a timewaster, but didn't provide enough info to guess my budget. I don't recall being prevented from viewing places without seeing the in-house broker, but I was firm in my assertion that I already had a whole of market broker lined up and didn't need to see anyone else.

Finally, just a couple of thoughts:
    • You're not a cash buyer if you need a mortgage. A cash buyer has the entire purchase price sitting in their bank account. You don't.
    • A mortgage offer on (say) property A isn't very helpful when trying to buy property B, as the banks may not lend as much on B as they would on A. A generic AIP/DIP is more useful in this case.

You might want to tighten up on your terminology, as they way you've described it makes you sound like you don't really know what you're talking about, and a shifty agent may try and make a fast buck out of that. By contrast, if you can correctly understand and explain the situation you're in, and politely but firmly decline the offer to see the in-house broker, you stand a better chance of being taken seriously, and keeping your cards close to your chest.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just say no/refuse to speak to broker. Some EAs are known for these hard sell tactics, just ignore them.

On another point in your op, you would not be "essentially a cash buyer" as you need a mortgage. A cash buyer is someone who does not need a mortgage, nor has a property to sell, ie they have cash in the bank to purchase a property.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    • A mortgage offer on (say) property A isn't very helpful when trying to buy property B, as the banks may not lend as much on B as they would on A. A generic AIP/DIP is more useful in this case.

Why do you say that? A mortgage offer on another property but on the same borrowers shows that lender was willing to lend a certain amount to those borrowers, having done a hard search, and verified income, credit history, other debts, etc.

An AIP/DIP is just based on the headline numbers that the borrowers tell the lender, noone has verified whether this is correct or gone in much detail.

Both (mortgage offer on another property and an AIP/DIP) show the lender is willing to lend a certain amount to those people, subject to the property but the offer is a much stronger check.
  • dreyfuss
    dreyfuss Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry should have said the house we want to view we could buy with our house sale and savings so wouldn't need a mortgage. We got a mortgage arranged for the house that fell through (at sorting completion date stage) because it was a bit more expensive though quite a small mortgage.

I will try and sort terminology. I haven't done this since 20 years ago!

• I had the exact same experience with WH Brown. Was told i had to see their broker before my offer on a property with them could be 'ratified' with the seller.

I went and listened, told them i wanted to discuss it with my parents as I am FTB and already had a AIP with an independent broker (even through i knew i wasn't gonna be going with them).

Strangely after being told during the meeting that i had the best offer and the other party couldn't do any higher. After refusing to use their broker and the other party using their EA's broker they suddenly found more funds - which i half suspected would happen.

Was angry at the time but have had an offer accepted on a much better property now :rotfl:- I'd say stick to your gut and refuse.
    Number of Debts: 13 (01/01/2021) Now 6
    Debt amount: 22k (01/01/2021) Now 14.6k
    Mortgage £110500 Sep 2017, original MF date Sep 2042 now May 2052 Thanks affordability checks 🙄 Now £93500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure