Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay

Comments

• stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    I had something similar where my late mother used my wife's name to obtain credit...that and maybe 6-8 different names.

Problem is actually proving you never applied for the credit..after all they could counter argue (creditors) that you opened the accounts and now simply don't want to pay.

Not suggesting that's what happened...simply what they could state in response to your issue with your Mum.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    stuart30 wrote: »
    I had something similar where my late mother used my wife's name to obtain credit...that and maybe 6-8 different names.

Problem is actually proving you never applied for the credit..after all they could counter argue (creditors) that you opened the accounts and now simply don't want to pay.

Not suggesting that's what happened...simply what they could state in response to your issue with your Mum.

Hence why the only way to get the adverse data and lenders removed from the credit reports is to report the crime to the police to get a crime reference number. No company is going to argue with that.

If OP doesn't want to report the crime to the police, then she will have to live with the consequences of a trashed credit history for the next 6 years. There is no in between.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Jaith
    Jaith Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Awful situation to be in. While everybody here is correct to say 'call the police', it's not a reassuring statement on its own, and I'm sure they'd feel the same dilemma in your situation. My two cents if it helps:

1) I also highly doubt your mother would go to prison. As somebody else has suggested it would most likely be a fine, and possibly community service. Your mother probably has some psychological issues to do this something like this to her own child, without remorse. Judges tend to have a huge range of discretion in these cases. But my view here is anecdotal; if you want further advice, try speaking to Citizens Advice or google for free Legal Support Lines.

2) You need to address this quickly now that you're aware of it - for your own sake. If you let this go on it, your wages could be stopped at source (i.e. repayments taken out of your pay), and it could even hinder you from getting certain types of jobs in the future. That's not to mention a mortgage. If you report it now you should be totally clear after a little paperwork; if you let it go on then you could possibly become seen as complicit, and it would be far more difficult to exonerate yourself.

Good luck
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?

Maybe because he works 45 hours/week, which might mean Mon-Fri 9 hours/day, then there's a lunch break, so 10 hours/day - with an hour's commute each way, that's a 12 hour day ...

Posted before he went to bed last night, got up this morning and went straight out to work ... and probably expects 1-2 answers, max, when he checks in his lunchbreak.
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Hence why the only way to get the adverse data and lenders removed from the credit reports is to report the crime to the police to get a crime reference number. No company is going to argue with that.

If OP doesn't want to report the crime to the police, then she will have to live with the consequences of a trashed credit history for the next 6 years. There is no in between.

I agree the police need to be called and have it reported to start the ball rolling.

However i doubt it will be that easy..what if Mum says "I know nothing"..then id imagine it getting very messy.

Only going on past experience and that is if Mum is nasty enough to obtain false credit in son/daughters name then simply lying to cover tracks would come easy.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you still live with your mother? If so that makes calling the police much more complicated, you have to consider how your mother would react. However calling the police is the only way to get this resolved properly - even if you did manage to pay off the debt, what would stop your mother doing this again?
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    there is no best of both worlds.

A couple of years back I had a situation where my elder sister defaulted on Virgin Media payments which was put in my name at her address.

Virgin Media told me I had 2 choices, proceed with reporting it as a crime, or deal with the debt as my own, I did the latter and luckily my sister apologised and paid me back.

If my sister had turned on me tho, and showed no remorse, then I may have gone the other route. Also a factor was the debt wasnt very large, under £200. So was not difficult for me to settle to get it of my credit file. If was say £2000 I am not sure if I would have dealt with it the same.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Maybe because he works 45 hours/week, which might mean Mon-Fri 9 hours/day, then there's a lunch break, so 10 hours/day - with an hour's commute each way, that's a 12 hour day ...

Posted before he went to bed last night, got up this morning and went straight out to work ... and probably expects 1-2 answers, max, when he checks in his lunchbreak.

Plus of course the OP may have seen the answers anyway, all we know for sure is that they haven't logged in again, but that doesn't mean they haven't looked at the thread without logging in.
  • Could you sell the goods she bought and use the money to pay off some of the debts?

Maybe take out a credit card in her name use that to pay off the debts?

Report ID theft to the police but don't say who you think did it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure