Help for a technophobe please

tori.k
tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
Can anyone advise me on the kit I need, I would like to transfer our DVD collection onto a hard drive that can be used with the TV so I can free up space. is there some sort of plug and play machine that I would be able to do this with ?
Many thanks

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    There are ways to do this, you'd use software to rip the DVDs to your hard drive.

This in itself is not illegal, you can stil legally make copies of your own movies and music, it is illegal to distribute said copies.

However there's no way to know if your doing this, so there is software known as DRM (digital rights management) which can quite aggressively mess up you PC if it detects you have any sort of DVD ripping software onboard. DRM comes from many sources, it's usually packaged in with PC games, it can even install from DVDs.

I'm not going to recommend any software because in all honesty, if you don't know what your doing, there's a really good chance you'll regret it.

Ironically, it being so difficult to copy your owned DVDs, is why so many illegal download sites exist.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 3:23PM
    strange answer, it's not difficult at all, and (unless you pick a rogue tool to do the encoding) doesn't aggressively mess up anything. When installing any software, decline any additional toolbars or software offered during the installation process.

https://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/

You will have to choose a format and storage medium that works with your tv/pvr/stb/usb enabled dvd player, not all of which support hard disk storage, but they may support sd cards or usb flash drives which come in reasonable capacities now

mp4 is the usual choice - a 90 minute dvd needs around 1GB of space
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • tori.k
    Thanks to you both, so in a nut shell I just download the DVD to an eternal hard drive the plug that into a USB enabled DVD. I've downloaded CD to my computer in the past im guessing it work's the same way with DVD.
  • bsod
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:25PM
    eternal hard drives would sell like hot cakes

download is not the correct term, but it doesn't matter.

you put the dvd in, convert it to mp4 using the software, copy the resulting file to a usb flash drive, insert it into anything with a usb connector that plays mp4's and press play.

hard disk drives require more power than a flash drive, so a lot of devices don't support them. Also some that do may require the drive to be reformatted, which will wipe all data on it, so be careful
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:33PM
    tori.k wrote: »
    Thanks to you both, so in a nut shell I just download the DVD to an eternal hard drive the[n] plug that into a USB enabled DVD. I've downloaded CD to my computer in the past im guessing it work's the same way with DVD.

Yes. Another vote for Strider's answer being somewhat wide of the mark - certainly technically.

DRM is encoded on the DVD (and respected by most PCs), and is intended to make it more difficult (or impossible) to rip (copy) some DVDs. There is no infestation of the PC involved.

The issue I have found when doing this in the past is that the default file types that come out of the ripping process are not compatible with the players on many PCs and especially those on TVs and STBs. (For the technically minded, the DVDs contain ".VOB" files for the main content, and players typically want MP4 files).

Video conversion used to be a tortuous process, too. Perhaps the above recommendation solves all of that? I shall be delighted if that is the case.

As an aside, there are lots of older films on Youtube, and OnlineVideoConverter makes a reasonable job of converting them to MP4s in most cases.

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/

There's also Get_iplayer that can download films & other content from BBC iPlayer as MP4s...

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/downloads/
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I use either BDlot DVD Iso Master (free) or DVDFab (free trial then paid) to rip to an ISO file and play on a PC using VLC player Free).

DVDFab allows you to rip just the main movie without trailers, menus etc.

Then store them on several large HDD's to play on my very cheap Dell PC attached to my TV, so I'm not constantly unplugging stuff. ISO creates a large file, but retains DVD quality which I prefer when watched on a large screen.

The above might seem complicated, but it's not once you get the knack, it's just time consuming ripping them first time, as it is with all the methods given
  • bsod
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:40PM
    winxdvd solves most of the torture, it has occasional problems with some discs, and does output extra's to different mp4's though, so not as perfect as an iso rip, but the resulting files are much smaller

you can get a little gizmo that plays iso from hard disk that would be neater than a pc.
  • tori.k
    Many thank I now understand..that I should pay someone to do the job for me :)
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Or use the excellent open-source Handbrake, windows users for encrypted DVD ripping you need to add the libdvdcss.dll library:

http://lifeofageekadmin.com/how-to-rip-dvds-using-vlc-and-handbrake-on-windows/
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • bsod
    tori.k wrote: »
    Many thank I now understand..that I should pay someone to do the job for me :)

no reason at all to do that

you should start by finding out what your tv or whatever supports.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport