Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2016

Comments

• John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cherabelle wrote: »
    I can't see it saying West Rim or not but assume it is
    Yes, that's correct. All the helicopter flights from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon go to the West Rim because it's too far for them to fly to the South Rim. Also, the position shown on the map on their web site confirms it.

Here's a map showing Las Vegas, the West Rim (Grand Canyon Skywalk) and the South Rim (Grand Canyon Village):
    https://goo.gl/maps/Vr23TAgs4D62
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mon Ami Gabi is a great place to eat opposite the Bellagio fountains.

http://www.monamigabi.com/menu/?loc=vegas
  • Wow looks amazing.
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hi cher
    another vote for the the Bellagio fountains here, they always fantastic to see, and its free !!!

another idea is the vegas sign which is maybe 10-15mins walk from the luxor!
    as regards the room trick i assume you mean the $20 one?i tihnk there is some info on the front page regarding this
    i guess its always worth a go, i have not stayed at the luxor so cannot comment on the rooms, I ve been to vegas with my brother , and well 2 lads in vegas, well as long as the room has beds, a shower and a toilet and shower we are good !!:D

ho[e this helps
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just booked my 10th trip to Vegas, got a great deal with Norwegian air direct from Gatwick and MGM have comped us 3 days with freeplay and resort credit.
    Staying in Elara 1 bed suite for the rest.

Roll on next month :)
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Thanks Stevie11, we are flying at 10:00 and arrive in Vegas at 12:50 according to Virgin. I haven't got the exact times to hand but it's an AM flight. snip .....

Wow the trip does look amazing and yes to the west rim as already pointed out. I am a skin flint where trips like that are concerned that is why I did the $80 bus trip :rotfl: I would probably put the other £400 at todays rates to another flight, if Mrs Stevie would let me go ;).

So your flight gets in around 1pm looking at schedules. By the time you pick up your luggage and get a cab or transfer to the Luxor you could be there by 2.30 ready for check in, that is a good time for a rest or to get out on the strip or you may want to go round the pool.

For the 3 nights on strip you may pass by the Ballagio fountains a few times so will be able see different shows. The Mirage is about another 20 minutes walk. Distances may not look that far on the strip but when you are walking in crowds then over bridges and walkways and through hotels it sure eats up the time.

If you are into shopping there are numerous malls on and close to the strip i.e. the Forum mall within Ceasers Palace, Planet Hollywood Mall, the Fashion Show Mall and then the outlet Malls North and South. Some of the high end hotels have their own shops which I would tend to window shop only. Again if you are tight on time I find going to the malls eats into the time.

Re drinks, you will see many people openly drinking on the strip, there are cheap and expensive bars you take your pick or many just pick a can or two up from a shop or purchase the cocktails on the strip.

I have read about the $20 trick but never used it, I just politely ask if there are any complimentary upgrades available sometimes it works. Remember the dreaded resort fee on top of your hotel charge, this could be up to $35 a night :(

So much to do and see and take in so little time.
  • cherabelle
    cherabelle Posts: 172
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:12PM
    It was the big extravagance for us but it's a special trip and so I thought what the heck. Not very MSE I admit. :rotfl:

Thanks so much for the hints and tips, I have written them all down ready for my itinerary... I'm so organised about this it's untrue. Not too sure how much shopping we plan on doing, I tend to avoid shops like the plague but I am sure if I see something sparkly I will be tempted to have a browse.

So excited already...

Forgot to say, I think my resort fees are already included in the cost of the trip.. I shall check. It's part of a group booking we are going and we're told the ETSA was the only thing not included. I best check.
  • bobbyhibs
    Forumite
    baza52 wrote: »
    MGM have comped us 3 days with freeplay and resort credit.
    Staying in Elara 1 bed suite for the rest.

Roll on next month :)

hi
    Can i ask how you go about doing the comp days ? i have an mlife account and what not and at times i do see the offers, the last time i checked it was for 2 nights i think for the mgm and resort credit and freeplay.
    I presume you phone the number on the page?
    and they put the freeplay and resort credit on your mlife card?
    It is easy to do?
    thanx
  • bobbyhibs
    Forumite
    It's part of a group booking we are going and we're told the ETSA was the only thing not included. I best check.

hi
    In regards your esta there is a link on the first page of this forum which takes you to the site
    i think its about $14 or something per person and lasts for 2 years regardless of how many times you go.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    hi
    Can i ask how you go about doing the comp days ? i have an mlife account and what not and at times i do see the offers, the last time i checked it was for 2 nights i think for the mgm and resort credit and freeplay.
    I presume you phone the number on the page?
    and they put the freeplay and resort credit on your mlife card?
    It is easy to do?
    thanx

We were able to book when logged into Mlife so no need to call them.
    Freeplay is on your Mlife card and you can choose to use it when playing a slot. You just press "ok" then enter your pin to use freeplay or pointplay.
    Not had resort vredit before but I would think you charge to your room and the resort credit is taken off your balance.

Its me, the wife and grown up daughter going. As they spent more than me last time they got better rewards.
    We were going to share a room but have booked 1 at MGM and 1 at Excalibur so they both got freeplay and resort credit.
    They got around $250 in freeplay and $250 resort credit so will cover some slot time and some food for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure