Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Matt17
    Matt17 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Raxiel wrote: »
    Just switched from Go Online V18 to Fix Online V17. Not the absolute cheapest compared to PCW results, but not terrible for our consumption and there's no exit fee involved.

Works out just under £5 a month more expensive, but being able to push the switch date 52 days into the future means I only lose 2 months of my current fix, which with summer consumption doesn't add up to much.
    Now next winter is locked in, and if something cheaper comes up in the meantime I can still switch again.

I have agreed to 'discuss' smart meters with this one. I wonder if I'll actually get a call given the current odd situation with my orphaned E.ON SMETS1 meter.

Fix Online V17 has an exit fee of £30 per fuel
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Matt17 wrote: »
    I know that (although re-reading what I wrote I wasn't clear). What I mean is, the £30 per fuel exit fee on my current tarif doesn't apply when switching to another E.ON tariff. That said there are ways around the exit fee if you really want out.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Raxiel wrote: »
    Just switched from Go Online V18 to Fix Online V17. Not the absolute cheapest compared to PCW results, but not terrible for our consumption and there's no dealing with our current exit fee involved.

Works out just under £5 a month more expensive, but being able to push the switch date 52 days into the future means I only lose 2 months of my current fix, which with summer consumption doesn't add up to much.
    Now next winter is locked in, and if something cheaper comes up in the meantime I can still switch again.

I have agreed to 'discuss' smart meters with this one. I wonder if I'll actually get a call given the current odd situation with my orphaned E.ON SMETS1 meter.

Hello Raxiel and glad you've used our forward switching tool to good effect.

I suspect we'll be in touch later this year about your smart meter. Depending on how old the meter is, we'll either offer to fit SMETS2 or do an upgrade so the existing meter can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. These upgrades will be done remotely and don't need a technician's visit.

Thanks for stopping with us Raxiel.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Matt17 wrote: »

Hello Matt17 and, as Raxiel says, exit fees don't apply when moving from one of our tariffs to another.

They only kick in when changing supplier outside of the renewal period (49 calendar days before a fixed tariff end date until 20 working days after). We'll also keep customers on the cheaper prices whilst a switch goes through provided the new supplier applies for the account during this window.

Thanks Matt17.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hello nicobrum and thank you for staying with us for over 10 years.

Smart meters are optional and you can continue to turn down our requests to fit them. By choosing one of the current Fixed Tariffs on our website, you agree to be contacted about having them. When we contact you, they can still be refused and at this point our advisor will talk about the options available at that time.

Thanks nicobrum.

Malc

Hi Marc

I have very recently been in contact with Eon customer service who confirmed that in order to benefit from the cheaper fix term tariffs, agreeing to the installation of a smart meter is compulsory.

Is that not the case?

Thanks
    Emma
    super7star wrote: »
    Hi Marc

I have very recently been in contact with Eon customer service who confirmed that in order to benefit from the cheaper fix term tariffs, agreeing to the installation of a smart meter is compulsory.

Is that not the case?

Thanks
    Emma

Hello Emma and I can confirm, smart meters aren't compulsory.

All the Fixed Tariffs currently available through our website have the condition where customers agree to be contacted about smart meters. As I mentioned above, when we're in touch, customers can still refuse them and, at this point, our advisor will go through the options available at that time.

I'm sorry our Customer Services didn't make this clear when you contacted us Emma and hope this explains.

Malc
  • Hi Marc

Thanks for the reply.

It wasn't a case of not making it clear, customers are being told they can't have the lower tariff unless they agree to having an appointment booked for a smart meter fitting!

I quote:

Fixed Tariff

We cannot offer a fixed tariff without a Smart Meter, you'll need to have the appointment booked for us to apply the tariff. You can do this now if you don't mind what Smart Meter is fitted, but if you'd like to wait until we can guarantee you a SMETS2 that would need to be done later on in the year.

Who can I pick this up with by way of complaint?

Many thanks
    Emma
    super7star wrote: »
    Hi Marc

Thanks for the reply.

It wasn't a case of not making it clear, customers are being told they can't have the lower tariff unless they agree to having an appointment booked for a smart meter fitting!

I quote:

Fixed Tariff

We cannot offer a fixed tariff without a Smart Meter, you'll need to have the appointment booked for us to apply the tariff. You can do this now if you don't mind what Smart Meter is fitted, but if you'd like to wait until we can guarantee you a SMETS2 that would need to be done later on in the year.

Who can I pick this up with by way of complaint?

Many thanks
    Emma

Hello Emma and I can confirm, smart meters aren't compulsory and we can't insist on installing them where a customer refuses.

Customers asking to go on one of the Fixed Tariffs currently available on our website agree to consider smart meters. Where they switch through our website or a Price Comparison site, we'll be in touch at a later date provided the property is eligible for smart meters.

If eligible and the customer declines our offer, the advisor will discuss the options available at that point including transferring to a different tariff. Our products are changing all the time and it depends on what's available at this point as to the actions taken.

Customers looking to switch tariffs over the phone will sometimes be asked to book smart meter appointments at the same time. This is something we're trialling to see if we can handle all aspects in one call without the need to contact customers again.

Where customers are okay with having the meters or agree to consider them within the near future, we'll switch them to the tariff and note the account to discuss again at a later date. Where they tell us categorically, no, they will not have smart meters, we need to look at quoting against another tariff.

Also, where customers are switching to us from another supplier or moving home, they might choose one of our tariffs where they'll be considered for a smart meter. In these cases, often we have to wait for them to join us before booking their appointment.

Where a property isn't eligible for smart meters, customers can still switch and stay on tariffs with this condition.

There's also the option of changing supplier.

You can raise a complaint over the phone, via our online Live Chat service, by email or letter. There are also private messaging services on our Social Media channels (twitter and Facebook) if you prefer. Advisors on all these channels will be happy to raise a complaint for you. There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website.

Hope this points you in the right direction Emma.

Malc
  • Matt17
    Matt17 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Malc, I am considering switching to fix online v17 when my current fixed rate comes to an end next month. I am open to SMETS2 smart meters but don't want SMETS1. Will I be allowed to stay on this tariff if I refuse SMETS1 meters but agree to have SMETS2 when they are available?
  • Bill23h
    Bill23h Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hello Emma and I can confirm, smart meters aren't compulsory and we can't insist on installing them where a customer refuses.

Customers asking to go on one of the Fixed Tariffs currently available on our website agree to consider smart meters. Where they switch through our website or a Price Comparison site, we'll be in touch at a later date provided the property is eligible for smart meters.

If eligible and the customer declines our offer, the advisor will discuss the options available at that point including transferring to a different tariff. Our products are changing all the time and it depends on what's available at this point as to the actions taken.

Customers looking to switch tariffs over the phone will sometimes be asked to book smart meter appointments at the same time. This is something we're trialling to see if we can handle all aspects in one call without the need to contact customers again.

Where customers are okay with having the meters or agree to consider them within the near future, we'll switch them to the tariff and note the account to discuss again at a later date. Where they tell us categorically, no, they will not have smart meters, we need to look at quoting against another tariff.

Also, where customers are switching to us from another supplier or moving home, they might choose one of our tariffs where they'll be considered for a smart meter. In these cases, often we have to wait for them to join us before booking their appointment.

Where a property isn't eligible for smart meters, customers can still switch and stay on tariffs with this condition.

There's also the option of changing supplier.

You can raise a complaint over the phone, via our online Live Chat service, by email or letter. There are also private messaging services on our Social Media channels (twitter and Facebook) if you prefer. Advisors on all these channels will be happy to raise a complaint for you. There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website.

Hope this points you in the right direction Emma.

Malc
    I feel you are being a bit disingenuous here. The EON website, under Fix Online v17 clearly states:
    "Agree to have smart meters installed"
    Not "agree to be offered" or "agree to consider".It seems pretty unambiguous to me.
    You also say:-"If eligible and the customer declines our offer, the advisor will discuss the options available at that point including transferring to a different tariff."
    So if you decline, you'll be offered a different tariff, which may cost more, yes? And if it's optional, why does the website say you must agree?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback