12346»

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 November 2010 at 1:59PM
    Options
    davester wrote: »
    There is a big difference with an Ipad and a iphone/satnav size.

Actually, with some common sense it shouldn't be a problem, most taxis around my way now have a 10" screen which is their meter/job allocater/satnav installed.

It's normally installed in the middle of the dash around the height of the centre airvents and it seems to have no affect on visibility.
    ====
  • need_a_wii
    need_a_wii Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    does this work on ipod touch ?

Yes via wifi

But you can buy the tomtom car kit for ipod touch for less than £20 and use it as a fully working sat nav

**needs to be plugged into lighter point of car to work as a sat nav**
  • MontyBrewster
    Options
    Quite amazing to me how people can criticise an application for which they paid a grand total of 0p !!!! This app is an absolute bargain people. Spend some money with TomTom or Garmin if you want to complain :mad:
  • isleofdogs
    isleofdogs Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very sorry for asking a dumb question.

I downloaded the Nav Free to my iPad. But I have not been able to get it navigate when in the car (I was not driving, but hubby was ). Question is - does it require a working microsim card in the iPad to get the navigation working? Or, can it work without the microsim card?
  • Guanajuato
    Options
    I used to use Copilot on an old Pocket PC, which worked pretty well. Its now available as a free app for android - don't know about the iphone. You can download one set of maps to your phone and then use them without any mobile connection. UK & Ireland is one set of maps. It doesn't have all the features of the paid-for version. I think the main cut from the paid-for version is lane guidance and a streetview-type preview of turns. Not really additional features I'd be willing to pay £20 for.

As with all sat navs, you still have to use your own brain a bit (The Sat Nav told me to drive down the river occifer). Near us there's a small road that runs parallel with a dual carriageway, but there's no link, but the SatNav will often think you're on the dual carriageway because the margin of error under trees is greater than the width of the road.
  • isleofdogs
    Options
    Guanajuato wrote: »
    I used to use Copilot on an old Pocket PC, which worked pretty well. Its now available as a free app for android - don't know about the iphone. You can download one set of maps to your phone and then use them without any mobile connection. UK & Ireland is one set of maps. It doesn't have all the features of the paid-for version. I think the main cut from the paid-for version is lane guidance and a streetview-type preview of turns. Not really additional features I'd be willing to pay £20 for.

As with all sat navs, you still have to use your own brain a bit (The Sat Nav told me to drive down the river occifer). Near us there's a small road that runs parallel with a dual carriageway, but there's no link, but the SatNav will often think you're on the dual carriageway because the margin of error under trees is greater than the width of the road.

Thank you, Guanajuato, for your reply. Will check out Copilot for ipad.
  • charlieheard
    Options
    I've been using this app for a while now on my iPhone. It does take up ~350kb on the phone as it stores everything there. The good news is that you don't have to use your data allowance once driving (most other apps download routes and info via 3G). They also do similar apps for other countries - I used the South African version of this app to avoid paying horrendous data charges while over there on holiday.

If data charges are less of an issue, I now tend to use Waze. This is another free app but needs an internet connection to work. It feeds back info on how fast the roads are. If you stop on a "fast" road, it asks if there's a jam. It then feeds this back into the system and updates everyone's routes based on traffic info :)
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • The9uru
    Options
    MERLIN wrote: »
    Thanks all u guys out there for the advice and the funny bits. I'm going to give it a try on my i phone.

Hi, How did you find the app? Worth getting?

Thanks.
    Change is constant - :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family