ATM fees in Portugal?

Hi, I already have some euros for my vacation in a couple of weeks but will need some more. I have a Starling account so was thinking I'd be better using local atms but I'm not sure if they charge fees. My other thought is the uk airport atms that let you withdraw euros but I'm guessing the airport will charge you in gbp using a very poor exchange rate? Also how easy is it to pay by card in Portugal (Algarve). Thanks

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why not ask this in an appropriate forum..?
  • Bmwm3gt2
    Bmwm3gt2 Posts: 276
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm sorry, I thought it was with it being about currency? Which would be the best then, just the overseas forum? Thanks
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,545
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 June 2019 at 11:38AM
    I have not heard of Portuguese ATMs charging for withdrawals in the same way as most Spanish banks now do. Using your card for payment will often be possible.

If you are flying from Stansted, Gatwick or Southend you can obtain euros from a MoneyCorp ATM, making sure to select 'Without Conversion' to allow your Starling card to convert your pounds. You cannot do this with any other multi-currency ATMs.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport