Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Your timings mean you will be travelling in peak times and at times when the railcard is not valid.

I though Virgin accepted railcards at any time on their own trains?? Or is that only some railcards?

An Oyster - either tube or bus - is likely to be cheaper than an inclusive ticket as long as you don't make extra journeys in London
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2010 at 5:46PM
    chrscnvry wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am trying to calculate whether it is cheaper to get an annual season ticket vs a return ticket each day.

I have looked on the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket calculator and it shows that £6,656.00 (with underground) or £6,280.00 (without underground) using any network. (I only need to use Virgin Trains).

I have a 16-25 railcard and I am unsure how much a return ticket is?? (Especially with offpeak etc)

I will be commuting 5 days per week.

From 7am in the morning until 6pm in the evening.

As for the tube I will be getting the tube from Euston to Bond Street(3 stations) so is it cheaper to get an oyster card?

Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks
    Chris
    As you have a railcard, VirginTrains will allow you to travel during peak times using an off peak ticket.
    So an Off Peak Return from Rugby to Euston with railcard costs £22.30 and can be used on any train.

That should help with your sums. :D

Don't forget there is likely to be large fare increases in January. If you buy a season ticket before then, of course you'll get this year's prices. But buying walkup tickets is a different matter.

To expand on that...
    Assume travelling five days a week = £110 approx.
    Even at fifty weeks, that's only £5500. But remember the fare increases due.
  • Hi thanks for your replys - I contacted Virgin who said:

Yes you can use the £22.30 fare on the 07:29 service with a valid Railcard, which must be produced when travelling on the services stated otherwise the ticket is will not be valid.

This means that

52 weeks per year x 5 days in a week = 260 days
    -8 Bank hols
    -25 holidays
    227Working Days

Open Return £22.30 x 227 = £5062.10

Oyster Card:

Euston to Bond Street - £1.80
    Bond Street to Euston - £1.80
    £3.60

£3.60 x 227 working days = £817.20
    Open Return £22.30 x 227 = £5062.10 +
    £5879.30
    So is this cheaper than a season ticket? I know prices will increase in January but is it still going to be cheaper?

Thanks
  • is it better to go through national rail and book direct with the train company, ie londonmidland, as i find they dont charge you booking fees unlike the trainline etc

or are we better sticking to the likes of the trainline, tp express etc
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    fieldsof wrote: »
    is it better to go through national rail and book direct with the train company, ie londonmidland, as i find they dont charge you booking fees unlike the trainline etc

or are we better sticking to the likes of the trainline, tp express etc
    If you are intent on avoiding fees, then avoid all the third party ticket sellers like raileasy and thetrainline.

Stick instead to one of the train operating companies.

However, having said that, East Coast Trains have recently started charging a postage fee.
    There maybe others, so check.
  • Now been an avid MSE i have read all the info on cheap train tickets, but what I cant seem to find any info on is, why when you initially start looking at prices ie 1 adult, but, then when you change it for 4 adults the price per person shoots right up...this is my example....

We are going from Hull to Cardiff for the Millenium Magic Weekend, (admittedly our prices are not yet up for our weekend, we go 12/2/11)....so what i am doing is (5/2/11) Hull to Manchester Piccadilly £9.50pp or £26.80 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, so we saved on that one, but then Manchester Piccadilly to Cardiff Central £26.80pp or £152.25 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, making it £142 for 4 adults and £10.25 for child, or 1 adult £32 with 1 child £16....£48??

We have definately got the cheapest fare from Hull on the saturday and unfortunately we can only travel on the 9:30am from manchester to be in Cardiff in time for our rugby game.
    We also have a disabled passenger with wife, an OAP and another adult equalling 9 of us altogether, Im tearing my hair out slightly atm but need to know what Im doing before the dates are released.

Haven't even started looking at the return for the Monday yet :eek:

Iam seriously grateful in anticipation for any help or advice offered
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wealdroam wrote: »
    However, having said that, East Coast Trains have recently started charging a postage fee.
    True, but only if you start your journey at a station that has collection facilities. If starting at York, I can avoid this by buying from Poppleton!

Another way round it is to get a Devenport (DPT)- Dockyard (DOC) child CDS at 35p in your basket, make sure the date for this ticket is BEFORE the date of your journey. Postage will then be free, rather than £1. Total saving 65p (but, hey, it's the principle that counts!) this is worth it if you are travelling on East Coast using an Advance ticket that is 10% off, when booked on their website.

Otherwise, as you say, use London Midland!
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jj151201 wrote: »

We are going from Hull to Cardiff for the Millenium Magic Weekend, (admittedly our prices are not yet up for our weekend, we go 12/2/11)....

See http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horizons.html to determine the date the relevant companies are selling Advance tickets (and reservations) for.
    so what i am doing is (5/2/11) Hull to Manchester Piccadilly £9.50pp or £26.80 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, so we saved on that one, but then Manchester Piccadilly to Cardiff Central £26.80pp or £152.25 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, making it £142 for 4 adults and £10.25 for child, or 1 adult £32 with 1 child £16....£48??
    ATW do GroupSave on some routes. It is worth checking a thetrainline powered site (TransPennine Express should do, with no fees) to see if GroupSave is available (4 adults for the price of 2 for an Off Peak Return). GroupSave may not be available for a Manchester-Cardiff ticket but if you split tickets, it might be.
    We have definately got the cheapest fare from Hull on the saturday and unfortunately we can only travel on the 9:30am from manchester to be in Cardiff in time for our rugby game.
    We also have a disabled passenger with wife, an OAP and another adult equalling 9 of us altogether, Im tearing my hair out slightly atm but need to know what Im doing before the dates are released.
    If the OAP has a Senior Railcard, they get 1/3 off, but if not then they can get money off with the F&F railcard anyway (up to 4 adults can - 2 named adults + 2 random ones!). Also a Disabled holder can take one adult on their railcard.

Hope the above advice is useful but if you need further advice you could try http://fares.railforums.co.uk/ :)
  • jj151201 wrote: »
    Now been an avid MSE i have read all the info on cheap train tickets, but what I cant seem to find any info on is, why when you initially start looking at prices ie 1 adult, but, then when you change it for 4 adults the price per person shoots right up...this is my example....

We are going from Hull to Cardiff for the Millenium Magic Weekend, (admittedly our prices are not yet up for our weekend, we go 12/2/11)....so what i am doing is (5/2/11) Hull to Manchester Piccadilly £9.50pp or £26.80 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, so we saved on that one, but then Manchester Piccadilly to Cardiff Central £26.80pp or £152.25 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, making it £142 for 4 adults and £10.25 for child, or 1 adult £32 with 1 child £16....£48??

maybe try looking 12 weeks before you want to travel as thats when the cheap ones will be released
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • I would like fares as cheap as possible please from Macclesfield to Newcastle on Tuesday 23rd Nov and back on Thursday 25th Nov please.

It is for 1 Adult and 1 child with a family railcard and need to be in Newcastle for around 2.30pm and would like to leave Newcastle around 11am on the 25th please.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure